Portable A/C

focal_plane

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
focal_plane
Summer 2020 in Tucson/Marana/AVQ. I've had the BKool unit for ~10 years I think. In service longer this year than in past years with that rotten high pressure that just won't let go. Sure helps on ground and till getting up till OAT drops below 85-90.

Just curious if anyone else uses one of these portable A/C units regularly?

Jonathan Emery
Tucson/Payson

Attachments

• BKool in baggage compartment.JPG
    BKool in baggage compartment.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 60
  • Aug 2020 Temp on Ground.JPG
    Aug 2020 Temp on Ground.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Sep 2020 Temp on Ground.JPG
    Sep 2020 Temp on Ground.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
113*!!!

Damn

I do not use one of these.. but I have another question for you, how do you manage climb rates and cylinder head temperatures when it's that hot out? Looks like you are flying a Cherokee?

We use an Arctic Air in the Diamond (aka the Flying Greenhouse) with reasonably good results. We don't get the frequent three-figure temps as in AZ, but it gets plenty stifling in the 80s-90s with high humidity. The fan and blower motors are remotely switched from the panel, which is convenient.

Summer 2020 in Tucson/Marana/AVQ. I've had the BKool unit for ~10 years I think. In service longer this year than in past years with that rotten high pressure that just won't let go. Sure helps on ground and till getting up till OAT drops below 85-90.

Just curious if anyone else uses one of these portable A/C units regularly?

Jonathan Emery
Tucson/Payson
Ive been really thinking of this lately. So it works well?

I made my own redneck cooler with a cooler, modified 12V fan, vent and ice. It works fine in Atlanta heat.

I made my own redneck cooler with a cooler, modified 12V fan, vent and ice. It works fine in Atlanta heat.
You saved close to $600 too!

113*!!!

Damn

I do not use one of these.. but I have another question for you, how do you manage climb rates and cylinder head temperatures when it's that hot out? Looks like you are flying a Cherokee?

Yes, a -181. It is a challenge to keep CH temps down. Combinations of pulling power back, keeping mixture rich longer and flattening pitch attitude. All pretty much makes the climb anemic this time of year. I try to keep under 400 but its pretty difficult. #3 and #4 are the toughies.

I was very close to making my own. There are/were a lot of threads on construction on red/blue boards. I finally gave in a bought one.

Ive been really thinking of this lately. So it works well?

I have been pretty happy with performance. It takes a bit of effort to set up prior to flight. I freeze blocks of ice in old frozen meal plastic trays instead of buying bags of ice. I initially tried ice cube trays but that was way too much pain.

We use an Arctic Air in the Diamond (aka the Flying Greenhouse) with reasonably good results. We don't get the frequent three-figure temps as in AZ, but it gets plenty stifling in the 80s-90s with high humidity. The fan and blower motors are remotely switched from the panel, which is convenient.

Yeah, I really don't like humidity. This one came with a little key-ring remote control.

Yes, a -181. It is a challenge to keep CH temps down. Combinations of pulling power back, keeping mixture rich longer and flattening pitch attitude. All pretty much makes the climb anemic this time of year. I try to keep under 400 but its pretty difficult. #3 and #4 are the toughies.
What's it like if you're cruising at 6,500 for temps?

What's it like if you're cruising at 6,500 for temps?

I usually cruise at 9.5 or 10.5k. OATs at those altitudes over the last two months or so are ~55-70F (I did see it drop into the 40s once or twice when the dreaded high pressure was pushed out; very short break). Cyl heads on 3 and 4 are right about 390F at those altitudes. They would probably be slightly higher for 6.5k but I would still expect < 400F. During cool months, CH temps will drop a good 15-20F.

Coming off the ground, if I don't use some kind of mitigation, CH temps will climb right into the 420s and perhaps more very quickly. I don't like that.

Seems like when I bought, it was somewhere in the upper $300 range, but that was about 10 years ago. Or maybe I have the entry level model.
OATs at those altitudes over the last two months or so are ~55-70F
That's not so bad, and a fairly quick lapse rate at least!

Will get inversions out here due to the marine layer where it's 75 at the airport and then jumps up to 85 at 3,000 ft once you're on top

I have one. Do like it. Definitely helps. Didn’t use much this year though despite flying on some hot days for north east. usually I bring if I anticipate a prolonged ramp time

Will get inversions out here due to the marine layer where it's 75 at the airport and then jumps up to 85 at 3,000 ft once you're on top

This was Southern California about 3 weeks ago... 94 degrees at 3,770 feet about 3 weeks ago, and it was smokey. I have the B-Kool unit and didn't bring it with me on this flight, but wish I had. It would have brought some welcomed relief from the heat in the bubble canopy.

IMG_3156.jpeg

This was Southern California about 3 weeks ago... 94 degrees at 3,770 feet about 3 weeks ago, and it was smokey. I have the B-Kool unit and didn't bring it with me on this flight, but wish I had. It would have brought some welcomed relief from the heat in the bubble canopy.

View attachment 90431
I believe it! Departing SJC a few weeks ago it was 24 on the ground and as I climbed up into the smoke it rose to something crazy like 28, up at 9,5K!

Absolutely wild.

btw... Vso of 32 kts?! Damn.

Back