Engine Oil heating up in 182P

Georgeyk17

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Georgeyk17
Hi All,
So we har having issues with engine oil temperature getting up into the 220s and higher at times.
We just had the panel redone so now we can see everything to each degree instead of original factory dial gauge.
CHT is good, EGT is good and so far we have changed or replaced the
oil, filter, and oil cooler. Were waiting for a couple gaskets to test the actual probe and the bypass valve.
Temp seems to go up during maneuvers and MAs during IFR training.
Just curious is anyone has had any of these problems in the past.
I really think this has been happening for a while and brought to our attention with the new equipment. Any thoughts are welcome and thanks in advance.

Was your oil pressure lower than normal? Take the probe out and see what it reads in a cup of boiling water

I'd suspect the new instruments are lying to you. After landing what's your oil pressure doing? At 220* it would be very low.

Hi All,
So we har having issues with engine oil temperature getting up into the 220s and higher at times.
Make sure your cowl flaps fully open and you are using them correctly, also the area around the front intake all the way to the firewall is unobstructed by unnecessary / improper hose.. routing.
During maneuvering try to keep your RPM up as much as you can, and chose your flying time based on outside temps. I've got a couple of LSA where we only fly at certain times of the day and we taxi at close to warp speed especially on a long taxiways with the wind behind.

Make sure your cowl flaps fully open and you are using them correctly, also the area around the front intake all the way to the firewall is unobstructed by unnecessary / improper hose.. routing.
During maneuvering try to keep your RPM up as much as you can, and chose your flying time based on outside temps. I've got a couple of LSA where we only fly at certain times of the day and we taxi at close to warp speed especially on a long taxiways with the wind behind.

We verified flaps are open and engine deflecting material is directing air to the.otor and cooler. Happens in early morni g with outside temperature is in the lo 70s and when hotter in afternoon with DensityAltitude at 2200 ft.

oil temp.jpg
I'd suspect the new instruments are lying to you. After landing what's your oil pressure doing? At 220* it would be very low.

I agree! what's your oil pressure doing? If you are really at 220* the oil pressure will be low. If its normal your probe is lying to you. Ask me how I know!

Did the new temp probe go into the same location as the old?

yes for original probe spot.
Heres the analysis of last short flight. Oil Pressude doesn't seem to drop dramatically or our of the ordinary.image000000(5).jpg image000000(5).jpg image000000(5).jpg

Make sure your settings in the engine monitor match the type probe you have installed.

Your MAP and RPM graphs look really odd to me as well.

How do you know?
Viscosity changes dramatically with temperature, at such a high temperature the oil will move much more easily and thus have less pressure.. it's a good litmus to see if things are working correctly, usually cold oil equals high pressure and hot oil equals low pressure.. if that is not happening then there's some issue somewhere either with instrumentation or something else

Back