Will someone PLEASE start an aviation-topic only board!

Lndwarrior

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Gary
First there was the AOPA forum (the Red Board). It was almost completely aviation-only. It was moderated pretty well, but sometimes posters got a little intense on their opinions.

Then came the Blue Board. It was a pleasant relief from the sometimes over-moderated Red Board. And it was almost completely aviation related. It was good. Yet, sometimes people got persnickity here too. Also, some pilots wanted to talk about subjects that were tangential to aviation.

So someone created the Purple Board. It made sense at the time. It was a kinder, no-arguing, forum where you could talk aviation and aviation-related subjects. It was kind of a breath of fresh air from the sometimes too-serious Red and Blue boards.

There was something for everyone.

Then the Red Board shut down.

Now the Blue board has so many bizarre posts its barely recognizable as a aviation forum. People posting recipes, asking for advice on motorcycles, spewing poetic about their favorite beer.

The Purple board has stayed the same over the years but the Blue board is a mere shadow of what it once was as far as aviation is concerned. It is no longer a place to come and get knowledgeable advice or opinions. A majority of the responses will have nothing to do with the original post and the others will be from people with little or no real knowledge.

The general aviation community needs an aviation-only forum. I keep hoping someone will start one. Please, if there is someone out there who may have been thinking of this, I encourage you to do it. I believe there is a real need for it.

FYI - I'm bashing the board management. The forum changed organically.

First there was the AOPA forum (the Red Board). It was almost completely aviation-only. It was moderated pretty well, but sometimes posters got a little intense on their opinions.

Then came the Blue Board. It was a pleasant relief from the sometimes over-moderated Red Board. And it was almost completely aviation related. It was good. Yet, sometimes people got persnickity here too. Also, some pilots wanted to talk about subjects that were tangential to aviation.

So someone created the Purple Board. It made sense at the time. It was a kinder, no-arguing, forum where you could talk aviation and aviation-related subjects. It was kind of a breath of fresh air from the sometimes too-serious Red and Blue boards.

Now the Blue board has so many bizarre posts its barely recognizable as a aviation forum. People posting recipes, asking for advice on motorcycles, spewing poetic about their favorite beer.

The Purple board has stayed the same over the years but the Blue board is a mere shadow of what it once was as far as aviation is concerned. It is no longer a place to come and get knowledgeable advice or opinions. A majority of the responses will have nothing to do with the original post and the others will be from people with little or no real knowledge.

The general aviation community needs an aviation-only forum. I keep hoping someone will start one. Please, if there is someone out there who may have been thinking of this, I encourage you to do it. I believe there is a real need for it.

Yeah. I’ve noticed a drift recently to it being more heavy on the non aviation side. I only recently started looking at Joke Day and it’s my first hit nowadays. I first stumbled across POA doing a google search about something concerning IFR procedure and got POA hits. Signed up and pretty much just checked the Cleared for the Approach forum for a long time. A realignment of the Forums and some active management of keeping things in the correct forum I think would help.

Last edited:
That’s what the subforums are for. They just need to be cleaned up and sorted more often.

I feel like there's a point where it's all been said about aviation, whatever subsection or focus is chosen. We've come up with all of the rationalizations about singles and twins, experimentals and certifieds, and how much cirrus flyers are not real pilots. then what? bbq recipes, jokes, and figuring out who is really a bot. :D

I feel like there's a point where it's all been said about aviation, whatever subsection or focus is chosen. We've come up with all of the rationalizations about singles and twins, experimentals and certifieds, and how much cirrus flyers are not real pilots. then what? bbq recipes, jokes, and figuring out who is really a bot. :D

It hasn’t all been said to everyone. The one thing that rankles me the most are snarky ‘it’s a necro thread you idiot’ responses to new folk who have responded to a thread title about something they have a question about.

It hasn’t all been said to everyone. The one thing that rankles me the most are snarky ‘it’s a necro thread you idiot’ responses to new folk who have responded to a thread title about something they have a question about.
No kidding. Nothing like making a new member feel unwelcome by jumping all him for posting in an old thread.

There’s very little new in aviation.

Once any board has a few years of content that’s searchable, it’s all repetition.

Any board is mostly just about the people after that.

Lift, thrust, drag, and weight.

By the way, there’s like twenty aviation only public and even private groups on FB.

The public ones are incredibly boring.

The private ones, well... they usually don’t invite the boring people who want a forum or group to be a copy of the FAA pubs that cover most everything. There’s usually, oh you know, occasional discussions of other things in them.

If all one wants is aviation content, the FAA pubs are excellent. Don’t need a board at all. Good at killing insomnia too.

Private / Closed CFI group was fun today. “What was the craziest way any student ever failed a checkride?” Some hilarious ones in there. Not stuff most of those folks would risk accidentally embarrassing said former student in public with though.

Pretty easy to go copy one of the five to seven public aviation only groups that haven’t seen a post in months though. Just think up a nice catchy name and hit create. Can delete whatever you like to your heart’s content, whenever you like. If anybody bothers to post at all.

If they do, it’ll mostly be the same news links as in the other seven.

Last edited:
For the same reason people put couches, fridges and wall art in their hangar - pilots tend to want to sit around and talk. The exception is my hangar. None of that crap in mine.

Go to a small airport with an FBO and see how many people are sitting around talking over a cup of coffee.

Beechtalk is mostly aviation. Lots of non Beechcraft flyers there too. The piper, Cessna, Grumman and other type forums are good reads.

I kind of like some of the non aviation posts as it reminds me of a good hanger conversation.

I think there is plenty of aviation content, especially flight following and maintenance bay and avionics. Piper forum is more aviation only content except for the political topic forum which accounts for half of the posts.

and yet we have this non-aviation thread....lol. o_O

Many of us are on other social media sites where we can talk to the people we like about the stuff we like....aviation and other life stuff.

Be happy and blessed my PoA pal.

This place is a cocktail party. Conversations drift in at a cocktail party. Don't like this one? Walk over to another group and join theirs, or maybe start your own. If others find it interesting, they'll join in.

Every hobby specific electronic communications media I've been a part of (USNET->mailing lists->forums) where people get to know one another has conversations that drift off subject.

I'm sorry, but your thread is not aviation themed and will be deleted from the forum....

It's the forum equivalent of 'Guaaaarrrrd', and those that do it should be given vacations.

.....Now the Blue board has so many bizarre posts its barely recognizable as a aviation forum. People posting recipes, asking for advice on motorcycles, spewing poetic about their favorite beer....

Which reminds me.....what’s the best way to cook a hotdog while off-roading your motorcycle? Also, is there anyone here who has no fear and will share a tale of their favorite beer?

df6b724417fcf30a272a4d067dacdd6c.jpg

Which reminds me.....what’s the best way to cook a hotdog while off-roading your motorcycle? Also, is there anyone here who has no fear and will share a tale of their favorite beer?

Dude looks like a real wiener to me, always trying to ketchup to his friends. I guess he couldn't cut the mustard.

Every day, I open POA, look at the new post subject lines, and almost immediately move on. Takes about 15 seconds.
POA has a wider membership than most aviation forums, so I will on rare occasion ask a question here, such as when I inquired about airborne amateur radio. There is always the fear that a serious inquiry is met with jibes or sneers by the people who have to respond every post even if they can't address the question asked.
The Pilot's Place is new and as of yet not so polluted as POA, but the suspicion is it is headed that way.
I visit type club forums for my aviation interests and most of them stay on theme pretty well.
If I had to give up a forum I regularly visit, POA would be the first to go because there is so much content that is not in my field of interest.
Some people seem to like an online community such as POA. I generally don't. I don't think that POA members know anything more than my other resources about music, movies, clothes, motorcycles, Ram trucks, investments and even aviation legal or regulatory matters. Others obviously value the broader community and more power to them. I just scan new topic titles and move on.

This place is a cocktail party. Conversations drift in at a cocktail party. Don't like this one? Walk over to another group and join theirs, or maybe start your own. If others find it interesting, they'll join in.

Every hobby specific electronic communications media I've been a part of (USNET->mailing lists->forums) where people get to know one another has conversations that drift off subject.

Drift? Conversations drift in this forum?
Hadn't noticed.

Some people seem to like an online community such as POA.

Some of us have met in person, and that does tend to cement a better community feel. I personally like the broad scope information here, I've been exposed to new things, and because of that have gone to more specific web sites and groups to drill deeper.

I really don't get what the OP is getting at? Here at POA, as long as you stay out of the Pilot's Lounge section, its all aviation related, or as much could ever be expected of a public forum. Same at BT, its all aviation except for the one Babble section. Those sections exist because there needed to be a space where us forum "friends" could have a non aviation related discussion without tying up the aviation section. So what?

I have no problem with a new person necro posting in an old thread IF they have a question. But more often than not I see new people necro posting in old threads just join a conversation that is no longer happening. Digging up an old thread on training aircraft and then saying 'I find the 172 to be a good training aircraft as well' is not asking a question.

Topics besides yours on the first page in the sub-forum you're complaining in:

Engine Oil heating up in 182P
Zero confidence - help!
ADSB, FlightAware, Privacy...
Mooney gone?
V8 172
Daily Pic
Cleaning/maintaining a non-painted aluminum airframe
What’s with this Ted fella?
Luscombe Road Trip—Wish me luck!
My epic cross country flight in a humbling little airplane...
Boost Oxygen
Reported Visibility
TACAN Point to Point
Battle Ground VORTAC
Frost removal
Congress Slams Boeing and the FAA to the Max
Air-to-Air Cessna 205
High Service Level Insurance Brokers?
OKC to Pocatello, Id
New FAA Policy - Settlement of Medical Certificate Applications
So I Did a Thing...
Drones for work
Selling Expensive Equipment on the Internet
New Interesting Planes - Why do they come from Europe?
Aircraft Selection App
Interesting PlanePHD.com recommendation?
Emergencies training
182 O-470 burg burp on climbout
Cessna Crash Video from Cockpit..
140s and Luscombes - The Hidden Gem of the Market?
IFR Oakland PilotsNPaws with Levi (Full ATC)
How to find out about a restricted area online
Signature West at KVNY Sucks!
Bees in Hangar
What ICAO Surveillance selections for Stratus ESGi?
1965 aviation treasure from Ebay just arrived!
Air Wagner..... He’s baaaaackk.
Did you test fly your plane?

Other than FlyersFan ribbing Ted, every single one of these is aviation related, so my question is....

Did you eat a lot of paint chips as a kid?

so...maybe I should ask here....why did I get banned a week or so ago? :confused:

I have no problem with a new person necro posting in an old thread IF they have a question. But more often than not I see new people necro posting in old threads just join a conversation that is no longer happening. Digging up an old thread on training aircraft and then saying 'I find the 172 to be a good training aircraft as well' is not asking a question.

Yeah. Even so, snarky, ridiculing, you idiot type replies are uncalled for.

With the muffpot of course. Though I used it on my snowmobile, I'm pretty darn certain it would work on a bike. And hey the name is cool too...
https://themuffpot.com/

you could look at the positives and realize at least they are using the search function instead of starting the billionth thread on the same topic.

a while back I pointed out that someone was responding to a necro thread......they were asking about ancient technology that isn't relevant anymore (seemed perfectly legitimate to me to point that out). I find it interesting that I got ripped into by the very same mod who's whining about ripping into people who bring up old threads. typical hypocritical bs.

Back