Status
Not open for further replies.

Tantalum

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
San_Diego_Pilot
..wow

did the PIC just stall it 100' in the air?

Practice your engine outs.

Seemed unprepared for power off and heavy. Probably distracted by all the passengers. Looks like a flying party from earlier in video, and not enough focus.

Last edited:
Why bother worrying about maintaining best glide speed when angels will fly the plane for you?

Hell he shouldn’t have worried about glide, with lots of open space dive for the deck...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question: Given this plane is a retract and the ground is scrub brush and hard scrabble land, would it be advisable to land on the belly?

Obviously stalling 100' above the ground is a non-starter, but keep flying and touch nose up attitude and hold back until she comes down. Curious what others think.

Question: Given this plane is a retract and the ground scrub brush and hard scrabble land, is it advisable to land on the belly?

Obviously stalling 100' above the ground is a non-starter, but keep flying and touch nose up attitude and hold back until she comes down. Curious what others think.

In a big Cessna retract in that situation, I’d immediately nose down and point to a spot to land. Short of where you could land, this isn’t a distance competition. Drop gear. When under 25 feet throw out all the flaps and land normally as possible. Don’t nose up until practically ground effect. Do not level off or try and maintain altitude or slow to best glide if not necessary until close to the ground. Worst case gear absorbs some energy before you lose it when you land. Land slow but not full stall.

Wow that news story is sad. How he trained for an emergency like that. Unfortunately the video tells a different story.

All I could think is "nose down!!" while watching that. It seemed like a decent sized opening in front of them. They're lucky they made it out of that one.

All I could think is "nose down!!" while watching that. It seemed like a decent sized opening in front of them. They're lucky they made it out of that one.

Nose down and don’t bank. shudder

The early comment about "Ride of his life" was appropriate!

Or the gal mentions how cool it is "gliding"...wow!

Then the talk about having a parachute.

Here's Pilot's own explanation of what happened on video. He said he lowered flaps, was at 22" MP and decided to add power. Application of power caused a slight surge and then lost power. He said he decided to land in the sage brush instead of the beach. He skidded 10' before right side wing hitting ground.

He said he took a 10 day back country landing course in Alaska.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDz5fhdJJdt/

Question: Given this plane is a retract and the ground is scrub brush and hard scrabble land, would it be advisable to land on the belly?

What was wrong with the beach they flew over to get to the scrub?

Here's Pilot's own explanation of what happened on video. He said he lowered flaps, was at 22" MP and decided to add power. Application of power caused a slight surge and then lost power. He said he decided to land in the sage brush instead of the beach. He skidded 10' before right side wing hitting ground.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDz5fhdJJdt/
Looked like he stalled it trying to get over a tree. Better to hit the tree. Tree will break and absorb energy. Falling from the sky = bad thing

Wow indeed - tough to watch. So many things I would have done differently as 3rd party watching safely from a computer screen. But even then, I identified several scenarios/options including the aforementioned beach (vs. scrub), options of straight ahead or over the beach, water landing (while there's still energy) toward the beach toward shallow water...

God crashed a group of 6 people in the Utah mountains... God should have given the pilot the wisdom to practice his emergency procedures.

Tried to stretch the glide further than it would go.

My butt started puckering while he started beeping the stall horn over the water and holding the nose up. Stuff was rising in the windscreen shortly thereafter.

You’re not going to make it “there” if it’s rising and beeping the horn isn’t best glide.

He actually kills some unknown amount of distance getting that slow. Drag increases.

He also mentions flaps down, but not quite sure when. Hold those for very late... gear down is a technique debate. They’ll absorb a lot of force but also dig in like it appears they did. Sudden stops are hard on humans.

He got a bit lucky with a couple of options for reasonable “outs” flown over. I don’t like the concept of flying over a reasonable option to get to the next one if the stall horn is already involved. But I also know camera footage doesn’t show what the eyeballs did. Those options may have looked a lot worse in person.

In all I just don’t like the airspeed control. Hit best glide and assess options. Stay at best glide unless you have some really good reason not to be there anymore.

That stall horn was making a lot of noise. I don't get why he was so low to begin with. Was he near an airport, or was he trying to give the passengers, who he ensured just before the flight he would never do anything not safe, a low flying thrill? Lot's of questions.

Tried to stretch the glide further than it would go.

My butt started puckering while he started beeping the stall horn over the water and holding the nose up. Stuff was rising in the windscreen shortly thereafter.

You’re not going to make it “there” if it’s rising and beeping the horn isn’t best glide.

He actually kills some unknown amount of distance getting that slow. Drag increases.

He also mentions flaps down, but not quite sure when. Hold those for very late... gear down is a technique debate. They’ll absorb a lot of force but also dig in like it appears they did. Sudden stops are hard on humans.

He got a bit lucky with a couple of options for reasonable “outs” flown over. I don’t like the concept of flying over a reasonable option to get to the next one if the stall horn is already involved. But I also know camera footage doesn’t show what the eyeballs did. Those options may have looked a lot worse in person.

In all I just don’t like the airspeed control. Hit best glide and assess options. Stay at best glide unless you have some really good reason not to be there anymore.

This, keep it clean until you've got it made.

One more thing, I feel bad for the CBD oil guy, seems he was having doubts about going, sometimes you have to heed those feelings. It's always tough to know when though.

That stall horn was making a lot of noise. I don't get why he was so low to begin with. Was he near an airport, or was he trying to give the passengers, who he ensured just before the flight he would never do anything not safe, a low flying thrill? Lot's of questions.

Leave it to narcissism to provide you your answers. There's another video of the rear left passenger and her kids talking about the ordeal. The pilot dropped the gear and flew low to give the passengers a better view of the lake. They also show off their bruises received in the crash.

God crashed a group of 6 people in the Utah mountains... God should have given the pilot the wisdom to practice his emergency procedures.

If God is a pilot, and I am a pilot....logic says I am a God! ;-)

P.S. if there is a God I hope he has a sense of humor, otherwise I’m in trouble.

I, personally, found the belief and inspirational thoughts shared by the female speaker during the last few minutes of the video uplifting, reassuring, and beautiful. To those that didn't....fine. But why denigrate those who do?

Last time I spoke out against ridicule of Christianity on this forum, I got banned. Hopefully, this, at least, is acceptable?

OMG! Have any of you read the comments on posted below the video on YouTube? It's like his entire church, family, and buddies piled on comments the second it was posted.

upload_2020-9-22_16-1-54.png

They make it sound like Sully and the miracle on the Hudson.

Last edited:
Let's hope that he learns from this and doesn't just assume he's a superior pilot.

I, personally, found the belief and inspirational thoughts shared by the female speaker during the last few minutes of the video uplifting, reassuring, and beautiful. To those that didn't....fine. But why denigrate those who do?

Last time I spoke out against ridicule of Christianity on this forum, I got banned. Hopefully, this, at least, is acceptable?

If you give God credit for saving them, then you have to blame him for not saving this family:

https://www.kctv5.com/news/6-member...cle_ddc0f84d-c147-5796-9aab-26c2f25cc83a.html

You can’t have it one way.

They have a dozen videos about this. They being the family. Even a sister that wasn’t onboard has a video about the event. :rolleyes:

I should do this sometime.....:lol::lol:

Absolutely loved the girl in back mocking the right seater.!!

All I could think of was airspeed and feather that prop.!! I know it doesn't go into full feather but it does reduce drag. I did keep looking at that big, wide beach.

If you give God credit for saving them, then you have to blame him for not saving this family:

https://www.kctv5.com/news/6-member...cle_ddc0f84d-c147-5796-9aab-26c2f25cc83a.html

You can’t have it one way.
You know what? I give God credit for everything good, and blame man for pretty much everything bad. Works for me. I don't "have" to fit your framework. You don't have to fit mine either. Tragic things happen, without explanation. I've experienced quite a few, and yes, I'm human. I've had times that made me question my faith. However, to engage in your game of trying to apply logic to a power we can't understand, if terrible tragedies prove that God does not exist, would not incredibly inexplicable joyous ....some would say miraculous... events be considered evidence that God might, indeed, exist? As you say, you can't have it both ways..

To each his or her own. It's not my place to tell others how to think or what to believe. All I ask is that people refrain from ridiculing those of faith. Again, hopefully, this rebuttal is acceptable.

not sure what freaked me out more, the stall horn going off the whole time or that psycho babbling woman towards the end. anyways, glad all made it out safe.

football-slider-02.jpg

@MuseChaser How in the world is this a joyous landing? The pilot admitted that he full stall pancaked into the ground because he wanted to land with zero forward speed and in the process broke at least two peoples’ backs among broken bones from nearly everyone on the plane.

I mean maybe God saved the pilot from doing even worse, but with all the specific training he says he has done for emergencies, this one was not handled very well.

And what is God doing saving those that put themselves into dangerous situations vs. the guy that was just walking down the street and gets run over by the local DA (who was potentially drunk)?

But back to the piloting, the decisions made by the pilot to pancake the plane into the ground full stall was pretty poor considering the amount of open terrain from shallow water, beach (wilderness with only a few scattered people near the campground), Flat-ish scrub Land. And he said that he never shut off the master or fuel until 10 minutes after crashing when fuel was leaking all around.

I must admit, I am impressed with how well that 210 is built.. for everyone to survive an accident like that which was essentially falling out of the sky it's very impressive

@MuseChaser How in the world is this a joyous landing? .
I never said anything close to that....never. I was speaking in generalities countering a post implying that tragedies prove God doesn't exist. Hopefully, we CAN find some joy in the fact that these people survived....on top of the great sadness that the accident occurred and mistakes were made in the first place. No point in replying to the rest of your post...I'm sure this will, unfortunately, be locked soon. Too bad. Better we all just live and let live instead of feeling it necessary to belittle those who give gratitude to a greater power.

Last edited:
They have a dozen videos about this. They being the family. Even a sister that wasn’t onboard has a video about the event. :rolleyes:

Yeah, seeing everyone listed in the Youtube description with their Youtube channels and instagram handles tells me everything I need to know about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back