Vacation in NH

Arnold

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Arnold
My lady friend, lady Luscombe and I took a vacation to Franconia NH ending Sunday labor day weekend. Flew into Franconia airport (1B5). Stayed at the Franconia Inn across the street from the field. Mostly glider activity there. The airport is run by the soaring club. Their current president Jim David was a most gracious host. Since the Luscombe climbs like a one winged chicken his knowledge of the wind patterns was precious info. The Inn was fantastically friendly and all staff were anxious to please. Food was good, sometimes excellent - never bad. Hint, while we were there bagel and lox was available off menu upon request.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KmVemPsaabtfJFjE7

Mountains make their own weather.

Needed lobstaaa rolls. Took a drip down to Hampton, NH. Good restaurant on the field. Flew the coast of Maine for a bit.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qjxhntgFccu6h5YFA

Rented a car and did some antiquing in Littleton, NH one day.

Mostly though, just relaxed, read, hung out at the airport.

Kudos to all the folks we met along the way. Everyone was pleasant, helpful and competent. The folks at the big airport - Newburgh NY (KSWF) - were happy to see something other than a corporate kerosene burner. I was going to type "everyone loves an antique" but then realized I'm an antique and not everyone loves me.

Granite aviation at Lebanon (KLEB) another side trip, were top notch. They have expensive fuel but they give a 5 cent / gallon discount if you "top it off" and they give you a pint of grade A maple syrup. Since we only took 8.1 gallons and I would have bought the syrup eventually this dropped my price down to the high $4 range. Not great but acceptable. We borrowed the crew car to drive into Norwich, VT to visit the King Arthur Flour shop. Between the holiday weekend and Covid precautions the wait was going to be 45 minutes so we drove the scenic route back to KLEB.

As we cruised down the CT river headed home we marveled at the beauty all around us and I thought "this is what makes general aviation great."

Edit - correct typos.

Last edited:
Uh don't you mean "King Arthur Baking" shop? ;) its on my list of places to visit too.

Great writeup, I almost landed a job in Hampton but alas it wasn't meant to be.

Uh don't you mean "King Arthur Baking" shop? ;) its on my list of places to visit too.

Great writeup, I almost landed a job in Hampton but alas it wasn't meant to be.

I landed on the grass at Hampton (last time I was there that was all they had). It is beautifully maintained. Someone told me the pavement was built in 2014.

Plum island was considered but rejected because no restaurant on the field.

Back