Raptor Aircraft

Touching down at 85 with the nose still up. This thing is going to have a high approach and landing speed. Curious as to what the canard stalling speed will be.

His comment at the end of that video saying he hopes to go once more into ground effect makes it sound like he’s going to full send it very soon.

everything this dude does is ghetto rigged that loaned helmet o_O

I believe I heard him say something about renewing his CFI online while waiting out the weather. I know who I want to send my friends to for training...

SMH...

He's flying by GPS groundspeed not indicated because "The indicted is reading high until the aircraft gets airborne".

Yeah at rotation, he was showing 105 indicated with a 90 kt GS. That’s with a greater than standard DA conditions and no headwind. Got some serious pitot static issues while IGE.

SMH...

He's flying by GPS groundspeed not indicated because "The indicted is reading high until the aircraft gets airborne".
Did the IAS drop when it was airborne, or is he randomly speculating that it will?

SMH...

And instead of fixing a safety of flight issue, he's posting videos and commenting on Youtube. Dude/project is a very bad accident waiting to happen.

Didn't the Wasabi guys say way back that when you do high speed taxi and accidently get airborne (basically what is happening) the out is to fly the aircraft around the pattern? They explicitly did not want to cause an out of runway situation or the PIOs that are caused by trying to force it back down.

I just don't understand what is gained by these ground effect flights (especially since they reveal even greater Pitot/Static issues) other than Peter showing he doesn't have the nerves of a steely eyed missile man by the way the thing is getting overcontrolled and bounced down the runway. At least Wasabi got him to a longer runway, the reality show might be over if he stayed wherever he was.

Didn't the Wasabi guys say way back that when you do high speed taxi and accidently get airborne (basically what is happening) the out is to fly the aircraft around the pattern? They explicitly did not want to cause an out of runway situation or the PIOs that are caused by trying to force it back down.

I just don't understand what is gained by these ground effect flights (especially since they reveal even greater Pitot/Static issues) other than Peter showing he doesn't have the nerves of a steely eyed missile man by the way the thing is getting overcontrolled and bounced down the runway. At least Wasabi got him to a longer runway, the reality show might be over if he stayed wherever he was.
I didn’t realize he moved the airplane. Where is it now?

Valdosta, GA

Southern part of the state and home to an ATC school called Advanced ATC that puts college kids in the tower there for their basic CTO training.

Does Advanced cover the program up the road at Eastman (EZM) as well? Stopped in on a XC years ago and they had some college kids in the tower sim on the second floor of the FBO.

Does Advanced cover the program up the road at Eastman (EZM) as well? Stopped in on a XC years ago and they had some college kids in the tower sim on the second floor of the FBO.

I had to google it to jog my memory, but no. EZM has the Middle Georgia State aviation college on site. They are a CTI school and run the tower there so their students can get a CTO as well. In comparison, Advanced is not a college program and not part of the CTI program (still a shell of what it was since the hiring change unfortunately) but their students can get a CTO and I think they have some international programs too.

I believe that was the case when it was still at the old airport with a shorter runway. At Valdosta there's enough room for him to get to takeoff speed, float in ground effect, and land without too much braking.

New video up. Question, why the side stick vibration? Also, guy borrows a helmet, rigs it for personal use, and then doesn't fasten it? WTF?

New video up. Question, why the side stick vibration? Also, guy borrows a helmet, rigs it for personal use, and then doesn't fasten it? WTF?
I have another question about today's video. What does it mean to "taxi to runway 35 for the option"? Since he just did his CFI renewal, I'm wondering if it's something new. ;)

It's deeply confusing why he added a bunch of weight to balance the thing out, and then used a ton of aileron trim as well. Why not just use the trim?

I noticed that he says the indicated airspeed lines up with the groundspeed when the plane is airborne, but if you listen closely I think that it is more related to his reduction in power.

I have another question about today's video. What does it mean to "taxi to runway 35 for the option"? Since he just did his CFI renewal, I'm wondering if it's something new. ;)

It's deeply confusing why he added a bunch of weight to balance the thing out, and then used a ton of aileron trim as well. Why not just use the trim?

I noticed that he says the indicated airspeed lines up with the groundspeed when the plane is airborne, but if you listen closely I think that it is more related to his reduction in power.
I think that he means option to do a high speed taxi, ground hop or actually fly. It's a confusing non-standard application of an already defined term. But it fits with this whole project.

That’s a good observation. It probably lends more credibility to the suggestions that the static air is compromised by the engine compartment.

Sort of like how he refuses to say "experimental". If I was ATC I would refuse to recognize "raptor". Peter has an ego problem.

Just did some measuring on google earth. The Raptor lifts off at about 3,030' down the runway with only Peter and 11 gallons of fuel.

Just did some measuring on google earth. The Raptor lifts off at about 3,030' down the runway with only Peter and 11 gallons of fuel.

The question is “When do you realize your effort is a failure and go for a reset instead of continuing down a path that leads to either an accident or to an airplane that is so limited it has no commercial viability?”

The question is “When do you realize your effort is a failure and go for a reset instead of continuing down a path that leads to either an accident or to an airplane that is so limited it has no commercial viability?”

That depends on who "you" is

Frankly I don't understand his business model to start with. Muller intends that the kit will be sold "at cost". Ain't gonna make money selling things "at cost"

That depends on who "you" is

Frankly I don't understand his business model to start with. Muller intends that the kit will be sold "at cost". Ain't gonna make money selling things "at cost"

The cost looks like $3M/unit and a serious risk of meeting your maker.

The cost looks like $3M/unit and a serious risk of meeting your maker.

I just assume that if a buyer somehow does get a kit in the very distant future, it'll be incomplete or missing parts based on Peter's constant state of change. I bet the documentation is even worse -- So in reality any kit buyers have almost no chance of ever doing a high-speed taxi, let alone flying in ground effect.

I didn’t know he had installed a stick shaker.... I’m getting to the point of being lost for words with this project.

I would suspect the stick vibration has something to do with his sloppy Ailerons. Remember the lag and slack when the wasabi guys looked at it and even pressed on them?

Back