Cedar Key

wrbix

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Pilot Lite
I’m told by the Levy County Board of County Commissioners that runway resurfacing is scheduled to start next week, and is expected to finish early October......so, watch those NOTAMS. None yet as of yesterday.

Like Everglades City in SW Fl, short runways X2. Any Runway extension at CEDAR key expected with resurface?

2355 x 100 ft? I guess there can be a decent breeze most times which might help.

Cedar key is a great destination as long as you know how to land your plane and it isn't a jet.

I think I was there in the early 80's but I recall it was grass at the time. Am I correct?

Was there briefly last week....surface had been pulverized up, no new surface down yet. No work yet on the apron. Hope that gets redone as well.
No, no lengthening. 311F0562-2034-4771-934C-5B36807855C6.jpegB1C6D822-E729-45EC-9457-EAD96CD90766.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: YKA
2355 x 100 ft? I guess there can be a decent breeze most times which might help.
Help? Dunno, commonly a crosswind off the Gulf.
Displaced thresholds both ends don’t help either, although most don’t pay them any attention.
Beware of birds

Reactions: YKA
Sure you could manage with those new VGs!;)
Yeah, it was one of the airports in mind when I decided to get them installed. I've been there several times over the years and really enjoy it. I'd be fine light and preferably not on a hot day. Looking forward to going back. :)

Use every bit of Runway there.
And if there's no Breeze make sure you take off to the West over the water there's only a 5-foot fence.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Use every bit of Runway there.
And if there's no Breeze make sure you take off to the West over the water there's only a 5-foot fence.

No fence on either end of runway.

My Cedar Key next door neighbor (who is also a pilot) reports someone landed at KCDK yesterday in spite of the big yellow Xs. SMH.

Do you know if the surface has been replaced ?

Found notam , closed till Oct. 17
0e780e191bee944b10a1761eaf01b0a9.jpg

Piece of cake. I've taken a rented C172 there for a fun lunch when I was working temporarily at UF. I'd have no qualms taking my AA-5 there. Might do it on my next trip to Florida.

Flew into Cedar Key in an Arrow about 15 years ago. There was some taxi guy who listened to the unicom and would drive over and pick you up. Short distance to town. You have to go into the bar, it's classic. It's really out of the way for road trippers but great stop for planes going around the gulf. Take off west and there's no 50 foot obstacle to worry about, only water.

I just flew here last weekend. Judy listened to unicom and picked us up. Took us for a quick little driving tour of the key and then we departed. $10 fee per head to get a ride. Cool place to visit. I'll be back after the pandemic.

Judy provides a service at KCDK that no one else does - take it or leave it. Many are glad to take it.

Judy provides a service at KCDK that no one else does - take it or leave it. Many are glad to take it.
Not true. I got a ride from one of the residents that live across the street a couple times. You can also rent a cart. Judy has a lock on listening to to Unicom, which is charming the first time, but a little annoying when you have no tell her no every time you land there and don’t need her services.

I guess it’s just me, I just don’t see why people think she’s so great.

Neighbors and carts are hit and miss. (BTW I may have been one of those neighbors, I’ve given cart rides downtown more than once)
Anyone COULD monitor CTAF, Judy has no corner on that market.
A couple of years ago a fellow tried a bike rickshaw service but apparently found being generally available (as Judy is) was way too onerous. His service lasted less than a season as I recall.

Back