How to file a DVFR flight plan in Garmin Pilot?

birdus

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Williams
I'm trying to set up Garmin Pilot to be able to file flight plans. Under the "Flight Rules" option, there are: IFR, VFR, YFR, ZFR, and DC SFRA. Isn't that where there should be a DVFR option? Am I looking in the wrong place?

Wouldn’t that just be a vfr plan that happens to go through an Adiz? Didn’t think it was anything special.

Wouldn’t that just be a vfr plan that happens to go through an Adiz? Didn’t think it was anything special.

No. You have to file a DVFR flight plan to fly in or through an ADIZ.

Call it out in the notes?

Call it out in the notes?

It's bizarre to me that they wouldn't have included it, but that seems like a reasonable and simple solution.

Here's what Foreflight does automagically - from their manual
"To do this you must file a Defense VFR flight plan (DVFR). To File a DVFR flight plan, you will need to use the ICAO flight plan form and enter your ADIZ penetration time and location in the REMARKS section on the ICAO form (Equivalent to line 18 - Other Information on the printed ICAO form). ForeFlight does this automatically if you file DVFR."
Not sure if FF calculates the time/location? That would be a time saver. Otherwise, it seems like just adding remarks as others have said is all that's required.

Unless you are proficient at international flying, this would be one time I would use the phone and file with Flight Service. If you are coming from Mexico, you will file a flight plan at your departure airport anyway. No ADIZ on the Canadian border, so no DVFR flight plans. I suppose the DVFR function on the app might be useful coming from the Bahamas or Caribbean.
Jon

Unless you are proficient at international flying, this would be one time I would use the phone and file with Flight Service. If you are coming from Mexico, you will file a flight plan at your departure airport anyway. No ADIZ on the Canadian border, so no DVFR flight plans. I suppose the DVFR function on the app might be useful coming from the Bahamas or Caribbean.
Jon

I'm flying along the entire US/Mexico border starting tomorrow morning (weather permitting) as part of a larger trip. I do think I'll just file the plan over the phone.

This has nothing to do with the software used, (Garmin Pilot, Foreflight or whatever). The FSS removed the DVFR option from the web interface because, (their words, not mine) they want everyone who is going to file a DVFR to call in and talk to them. This is current policy - it may, (likely will) change someday. If in doubt, call the proper authorities - don't rely on forums like this.

Back