The watch made for pilots

Can someone explain the logic behind this sequence of events?
1) This product is perfect for me.
2) Lots of people like it, since it is perfect for them too.
3) Sell mine (at a loss) and buy and inferior product.
4) Profit?
Oh, I sold mine at a $3,000 profit. I just dont like being like everyone else. In the world of uniforms and such, having a wrist watch is the only jewelry a man can usually get away with. Just to add, I got a far superior product with the profits to boot.

Bought the Apple watch 4 and within two weeks shattered the glass face on a steel gate sorting cattle. Enough of that crap.

I prefer pocket watches, though I have to admit a watch with a pulse oximeter sounds really cool. I barely wear my antique pocket watches anymore since I got a smartphone.

Which planes don't have an altimeter? Does that watch compensate for local altimeter setting, or is it an inaccurate-for-traffic-separation-purposes GPS altimeter?
I already have always on time displays in the panel. 1 home drome, 1 Zulu.

It's not a substitute for the altimeter in the plane. It's strictly for geek (I mean, um, fitness) purposes. Haven't you ever climbed to the top of a hill/mountain and wondered how high you were? Been on an airliner and wondered what the cabin altitude was?

It's a baro altimeter, but likely just shows pressure altitude. I'm not sure.

Just noting that for apples-to-apples.

Don't you mean apples-to-samsungs? :goofy:

It's not a substitute for the altimeter in the plane. It's strictly for geek (I mean, um, fitness) purposes. Haven't you ever climbed to the top of a hill/mountain and wondered how high you were? Been on an airliner and wondered what the cabin altitude was?

Nope. Never crossed my mind.

But is it waterproof? I know previous versions spit the water out, but it seems as if you had to remember to activate that before immersion.

Also, why would you want the display to be 'always on'? Wouldn't that be annoying when trying to sleep?

But is it waterproof? I know previous versions spit the water out, but it seems as if you had to remember to activate that before immersion.

Their spec sheets say they're water resistant to 50 meters. I do things like wash my hands, be outside in the rain, etc without doing anything to my watch.

The "spit the water out" thing is really just a mode where you can't do force-touch as I think that would un-seal the screen... So it locks the screen in its high position. It does say it's ejecting the water when you turn the crown to turn that off, but I have my doubts. ;)

Also, why would you want the display to be 'always on'? Wouldn't that be annoying when trying to sleep?

Brightness is sensitive to ambient conditions.

The idea behind the always-on screen is that you don't have to lift your arm or twist your wrist for the display to be on. I can look at my watch while I'm sitting here typing and see what time it is, my next appointment, battery level, local temp, sunset time, all at a glance.

I actually like this one better for sleep, because I can just look at it if I wake up at night and not have to try to twist my wrist just the right way or tap the screen for it to come on.

Just pulled the trigger...

50353784768_5da942c80c_z.jpg

After getting a $95 trade-in credit, the 0% monthly payments for 24 months are trivial in our overall budget. Plus the payments earn 3% rewards. I could have gotten a few dollars more for my old watch on eBay, but this is a lot less of a hassle.

Anyway, I was surprised at the shipping delay, but with Covid and what’s likely high demand, I guess that’s to be expected. Hopefully I can keep my balance until it arrives!

No watch "made for pilots" is worth a frick unless it contains a BRS.

My watch rule: buy a watch you like for style/functionality. Not for aviation, because no watch will be better than what’s in the airplane. I have a Citizen Nighthawk ecodrive. Good all around watch. Has a bezel that can calculate fuel/time/yada. I haven’t once used it. My last chronograph I used once to try to time my flight legs and fuel burn. I forgot about it in 5 min. My next watch will be an Omega Speedmaster. Not because it’s useful for flying, but it’s classy, hold value pretty well(used), and i can pass it down to my son. Iwatch? Don’t think so.

My watch rule is that they are disposable, more or less, since I am hard on watches. For years I used Timex Triathlons. They would last a couple years. Now I have a Fitbit Inspire (not too inspiring as previously noted, but ok). I have thought about Apple Watch, but it doesn't seem that rugged. The really rugged watches are too big for my wrist since I am a mini-person. :(

A long time ago someone tried to talk me into a Rolex. No way.

I have a Samsung Gear 2 watch - nice to see my messages without taking my phone out of my pocket. But I don't use it flying. For flying it's a $45 Timex with a sweep second hand, that is all you need. I get the allure of watches and handbags and if you can afford them I'm with you. For me spending the price of a Luscombe on a watch makes no sense.

A long time ago someone tried to talk me into a Rolex. No way.
Depending on how long ago, that would have been a great opportunity to multiply your money significantly. It probably would be worth well over 10,000 and depending on model over $50,000.

Always on display on a phone is the biggest feature apple has been missing out on for years. But then again if they added it to their phones they couldn't sucker people into buying as many watches. When you can see your alerts without actually picking up your phone and turning it on then you're less likely to buy a device for your wrist to tell you if you missed a call.

Anyway, I was surprised at the shipping delay, but with Covid and what’s likely high demand, I guess that’s to be expected.

I was listening to a podcast that was recorded later the day of the announcement, and they were ordering and getting them shipped for next week. So, I guess a month's worth of production or so is sold already.

No watch "made for pilots" is worth a frick unless it contains a BRS.

:rofl:

My watch rule is that they are disposable, more or less, since I am hard on watches. For years I used Timex Triathlons. They would last a couple years. Now I have a Fitbit Inspire (not too inspiring as previously noted, but ok). I have thought about Apple Watch, but it doesn't seem that rugged.

It's a LOT more rugged than it looks. I'm not easy on them either. I did manage to mess up the screen on my first one (series 3) very shortly after I got it in 2017, but I was wearing it while working on my tractor and kinda dropped a mower deck on it. Got it replaced under AppleCare for another Series 3, and bought a Series 5 a year ago. I haven't ordered a 6 yet, but I probably will before too long. It'll be really nice to have that oximeter.

My next watch will be an Omega Speedmaster

Great watch. I bought a Seamaster chronometer about 13 years ago and I love it. Wore it every day up until a few weeks ago when it started losing time... but it just needs a service (who knew they need to be lubricated?). Best watch I have ever owned. Won't ever buy another expensive watch because there is no need.

Second best is this Seiko SKX007 automatic that I am wearing while the Omega is in the shop.

Just venting.
Apple products suck.
Apple iPad sucks.
Apple iMac sucks.
Apple IOS sucks.
Any product that doesn't let me do what I want to do, sucks.
Therefore, Apple products suck.

Hey Shep... don't hold back there buddy, tell us how you really feel... :D:)

I was listening to a podcast that was recorded later the day of the announcement, and they were ordering and getting them shipped for next week. So, I guess a month's worth of production or so is sold already.

:rofl:

It's a LOT more rugged than it looks. I'm not easy on them either. I did manage to mess up the screen on my first one (series 3) very shortly after I got it in 2017, but I was wearing it while working on my tractor and kinda dropped a mower deck on it. Got it replaced under AppleCare for another Series 3, and bought a Series 5 a year ago. I haven't ordered a 6 yet, but I probably will before too long. It'll be really nice to have that oximeter.
If you didn’t have to jump through hoops for the oxi to work, I’d be more excited. I’m having trouble spending that much when I have a series 3 that still works fine.

Depending on how long ago, that would have been a great opportunity to multiply your money significantly. It probably would be worth well over 10,000 and depending on model over $50,000.
Or I could have lost it or bashed it on something, damaging it. I don't believe in buying 'things' as investments anyway. For one thing, they aren't liquid, and they're only worth as much as someone else wants to pay for them.

Always on display on a phone is the biggest feature apple has been missing out on for years. But then again if they added it to their phones they couldn't sucker people into buying as many watches. When you can see your alerts without actually picking up your phone and turning it on then you're less likely to buy a device for your wrist to tell you if you missed a call.
I definitely would not like an always on display on my phone. I've turned off 'raise to wake'. But I don't care much about missing a message or a call now that I don't work and have no responsibility to respond.

I definitely would not like an always on display on my phone. I've turned off 'raise to wake'. But I don't care much about missing a message or a call now that I don't work and have no responsibility to respond.
I don't think you know what always on display is. It's not that significant that it lights anything up in the dark. It's just a way to use a few pixels to give info. Kinda like your desk clock. If it's just going to be sitting there it might as well be doing something

I don't think you know what always on display is. It's not that significant that it lights anything up in the dark. It's just a way to use a few pixels to give info. Kinda like your desk clock. If it's just going to be sitting there it might as well be doing something
Like draining the battery? ;)

Seems like it would need to be at least bright enough for you to see the screen to read it. I suspect I would find that annoying, but others might not.

Like draining the battery? ;)

Seems like it would need to be at least bright enough for you to see the screen to read it. I suspect I would find that annoying, but others might not.
Like you have to walk over to it and look at it to see if there is an icon indicating something or the clock for instance. It doesn't really drain the battery because oled displays dont need to back light black pixels. Not sure how it could annoy anyone. For the most part in the day time the glare of the sun overpowers the faint pixels that are lit. But you can look at it straight on and see the display.

Not sure how it could annoy anyone.
I was thinking about at night, when it's otherwise dark, and I'm trying to sleep. Maybe I would like it, who knows. But it isn't something I long for, or even considered before.

I was thinking about at night, when it's otherwise dark, and I'm trying to sleep. Maybe I would like it, who knows. But it isn't something I long for, or even considered before.
It dims so much that its negligible. Its not nearly as bright as say the light that indicate the electric toothbrush is charging. Not even as bright as the power off status light on something like a television. It's a nice feature and it's not required to be on. Just a nice way to add a very useful feature to a device that you always have. Even better when you can pair it with a folding screen like on the Galaxy Z Flip and you can set it on the nightstand in the 90° folded position like the travel clocks of yesteryear.

My $20 Timex, with Velcro strap, takes a licking and keeps on ticking (remember John Cameron Swayze? :p ). If I lose it or break it, no biggie; and unlikely anybody would want to steal it.

Plus, my wrists are very narrow. If I had a smart watch it would look like I was carrying second base around on my wrist.

Yeah, I once heard, “don’t buy a Rolex if you need to tell time”...there’s a lot of truth in that.

There is a lot of truth in that, LOL.

I've had one for about 25 years. When I was living overseas in the Persian Gulf I had a business partner that was from Geneva. About every 8 to 10 years the Rolex gums up or something and it starts losing a few minutes every day, and I know it has to go in for servicing. I mentioned it to him and he told me the Rolex service centre in Geneva is owned by a friend of his. So I had my partner take it with him the next time he went to Europe and drop it off there, in the belief that who would know how to service a Rolex better than the Swiss?

Watch comes back and I notice it is still losing a bit of time each day. I mention that to my partner. He apparently told his friend. I got a call from Geneva on my cell phone and it's the service centre owner asking what's wrong with the watch. After I tell him, there's a brief pause, an audible sniff and then in a very heavy Swiss-French accent he condescendingly informs me "Monsieur, you don't have a watch...you have a Rolex" and then hangs up.

My GMT-Master II Ref 16710 was last serviced by Rolex NYC in 2012 and gains 1 second every 24 hours consistently. It has a self-winding mechanical movement that's been completely reliable, so no batteries. Oh, and it has appreciated like crazy.

I think it's interesting that the new Apple watch display (along with lots of others) mimic the GMT-Master's dial.

The wrist is 78 years old and has been ridden hard and put away wet.

GMT-Master II 16710 9-13-2020.JPG

Last edited:
If you didn’t have to jump through hoops for the oxi to work, I’d be more excited. I’m having trouble spending that much when I have a series 3 that still works fine.

Jump through hoops? :dunno:

As far as I can tell, it works fairly similarly to the heart rate monitoring, which makes sense since they're probably using the same sensors. You can manually activate a right-now reading via an app icon or a complication, and it also takes periodic readings in the background automatically.

Now I must pause, and chuckle about anything health-related on a fitness watch being called a "complication." :rofl:

Jump through hoops? :dunno:

As far as I can tell, it works fairly similarly to the heart rate monitoring, which makes sense since they're probably using the same sensors. You can manually activate a right-now reading via an app icon or a complication, and it also takes periodic readings in the background automatically.

Now I must pause, and chuckle about anything health-related on a fitness watch being called a "complication." :rofl:
Nope. You have to hold your arm still and horizontal with palm down for 15 seconds and not in sunlight.

Back