Approach notes differences NOS vs Jepp

MD11Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MD11Pilot
EAA IMC CLUB Sept question of the month.
Marathon FL GPS 7
NOS chart has a note in the briefing box about the possibility of daily WAAS outages and subsequent instructions.
Jepp charts show no such notam.
Digging through everything I can to find an explanation. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

In some instances, one or the other “product” is better. In this case, is there a NOTAM that Jepp doesn’t have as a note that the NOS just emphasizes? I’m too lazy to look up the NOTAMs for ya...

No, looked them up and there isn’t one. Curiously, there is a note in theNOS explanation about this might happen during “initial setup”?

still digging

Assuming the note is still on the source document, I'd say it's a simple charting error. Jepp definitely puts "WAAS VNAV outages may occur daily. WAAS VNAV NOTAM service is not provided" notes on their charts. You can look at the RNAV (GPS) Z Rwy 12 into MIA for an example.

EAA IMC CLUB Sept question of the month.
Marathon FL GPS 7
NOS chart has a note in the briefing box about the possibility of daily WAAS outages and subsequent instructions.
Jepp charts show no such notam.
Digging through everything I can to find an explanation. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I don’t see the Takeoff minimums and Alternate symbols on the Jepp chart either. I think it’s might be a case of Jepp puts the W in a different place like they would the T and A. I get them both in Foreflight. There it says ‘Plate Expired’ for the Jepp. Never seen that before

EDIT: note to self. Keep the f’n updates updated

Last edited:
This procedure was charted originally in 2008. WAAS wasn't as robust in that time frame. I expect if this was reported, the bold W symbol would no longer be applicable.

Assuming the note is still on the source document, I'd say it's a simple charting error. Jepp definitely puts "WAAS VNAV outages may occur daily. WAAS VNAV NOTAM service is not provided" notes on their charts. You can look at the RNAV (GPS) Z Rwy 12 into MIA for an example.

This is the latest document they have in the IFP Gateway. https://www.faa.gov/aero_docs/acifp/NDBR/2016010729121001001-MTH-NDBR/FL_MTH_RG07_ORIG.pdf
Chart WAAS Symbol is there. Amendment is under development for Publishment date 02/25/2021

This procedure was charted originally in 2008. WAAS wasn't as robust in that time frame. I expect if this was reported, the bold W symbol would no longer be applicable.

Maybe Jepp reported it and the FAA said, yeah, we're gonna get rid of that, so Jepp did without waiting for it become official. Just a guess

Yes, at the time, the WAAS coverage contours did not extend to some of the "corners" of the CONUS. In some of those areas (the particulars are no longer in my brain), the inverse W symbol was charted to alert pilots to that situation. Upon amendment this should be removed, as all of the CONUS (and Alaska) is now covered satisfactorily.

Ok, reported to ForeFlight and they contacted Jepp. Jepp chart is in error and will be changed.

Now, I personally agree that as developed WAAS is, I have a hard time believing this is a problem. But, what do I know?

Jepp doesn't use those symbols. The information is on the 10-9 or 10-9A page (airport diagram).

Yeah. I knew the info was somewhere else, not necessarily the ‘symbol’ itself, same place you found IFR departure procedure (now ODP). I was thinking maybe the WAAS thing might be in the same place. But that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Last edited:
Back