My epic cross country flight in a humbling little airplane...

Thanks for the epic story... Let's call it "Zen and the Art of Cross Country Flight"

Really a great adventure...

Kinda like "Back when I was a kid I walked to school uphill in snow drifts up to my knees!"

After going right back to downtown Eugene for some weird pizza at a weird pizza joint full of weird people, I re-planned day 4 and got some sleep.

I really enjoy reading about trips like this. I'm following @Katamarino on his around-the-world flight. But that sentence above, thus far, is the winner. :)

Thanks for the epic story... Let's call it "Zen and the Art of Cross Country Flight"

Kinda like "Back when I was a kid I walked to school uphill in snow drifts up to my knees!"

Both ways! :D

Both ways! :D

Actually, I did. And my kids thought I was telling tales until they went to college at WSU and learned first hand that Dad did walk to high school uphill both ways (and down hill on the other side of the hill). And it snows in Pullman!

Thanks for the story. Once OSH is complete, I will firm up my 'epic' cross country flight that I have always wanted to to take. I plan to depart TN and run the El Paso route out to my old stomping grounds in CA. Wander around a while. Visit old friends out at PT Mugu, Oxnard and Ventura via Laughlin. Getting stoked and your post added fuel to the fire. Thanks again

Congrats on getting one again. I love my 140, I call her Shirley. Btw look for ways to drop weight - I’ve dropped about 50lbs off mine without spending much at all.

Don’t those big highly effective flaps really help compared to the 120? Lmao

The empty hanger next to me got filled Friday with one of the prettiest 140s I’ve ever seen. A dad bought it for his 18 year old daughter - I’m so happy for her.

Thanks for the story. Once OSH is complete, I will firm up my 'epic' cross country flight that I have always wanted to to take. I plan to depart TN and run the El Paso route out to my old stomping grounds in CA. Wander around a while. Visit old friends out at PT Mugu, Oxnard and Ventura via Laughlin. Getting stoked and your post added fuel to the fire. Thanks again

That sounds like fun! It'll be a nice change to go from tobaccoland to the beach!

I just went back and re-read this thread to remember what 2019 was like....

Remember what I said about the weird people in Eugene? Yeaaahhh.....

Yepper, and you might need your Nomex up there right now...

I missed this tale last year so I'm glad you brought it back up. At "lifesaver colored hair" I thought "this guy could be a Marine." Once you mentioned humping gear up stairs, I was pretty sure. I hit the line about the Stumps, jumped up and barked "Semper Fi, brother!" Great story, IK04.

Something to think about for those buying in the future. The difference between a proper prebuy inspection and a annual is not that great in most smaller aircraft. If the annual is due soon get them both done at the same time.

I missed this tale last year so I'm glad you brought it back up. At "lifesaver colored hair" I thought "this guy could be a Marine." Once you mentioned humping gear up stairs, I was pretty sure. I hit the line about the Stumps, jumped up and barked "Semper Fi, brother!" Great story, IK04.

I'm flattered that you think I'm a former Marine, but I was merely an Army pilot. Of course, I was in the Army before it was run by sissies, but that's another story...

There are some things that are universal in the brotherhood of warriors and it brought a smile to my face that you replied. Semper Fi and live long, brother.

P.S. My Dad was in the Army, survived Pear Harbor and spent the entire war in the Pacific hopping from one island to another. He survived with only one Japanese bullet left in his back. He always told me to respect Marines because he crawled over plenty of dead ones. I have never forgotten that...

Last edited:
Keep writing, I'm hooked.

I wish I had something to write about. My poor little airplane has not flown since I brought it home and have been frustrated over and over, trying to get the annual finished.

I am now stuck with a partially disassembled airplane parked outside and all I need is a few hours of labor to finish reassembly and getting the aileron cables rigged properly. My mechanic has lost all of his helpers and has a workload that makes working on my airplane less worth his time. Not his fault...

I have no place to tie the airplane down where it is now and it can't be flown to my home airport, so I am forced to either hire another mechanic and work on it outside, pull the wings off and trailer it to my airport and start over, or give up and sell it as-is. All those options suck.

I have to come up with a plan within a week, because the airplane has to move from its spot in front of the hangar.

I also want to begin building an Experimental Amateur Built airplane or gyroplane, but I have no workshop or hangar. A trailerable aircraft is the only way I'll be able to own and fly anything since there won't be a hangar available for 200 years where I live...

We'll see. Maybe that will be the next epic adventure! o_O

Back