Warning Area

Lee E.

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Silvery199
Is there a place to go to post about the bad side of aviation? Crooked Brokers, shops to avoid, dishonest A&Ps, ect... I never want to focus on the bad but a place where someone could search a name or cert number could really help people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hahaha. Sorry man, mating it wasn’t as clever as I thought.

I’ve seen a few ‘customers’ that aren’t happy with most any service, always having issues. Not saying to be a ‘patsy’, but one has to use the averages.

I’m reminded of those that ALWAYS send food back or complain at a restaurant, known a few. I guess ‘giving them the business’ can be looked at as a positive trait.

people b!tch about bad moderation here on PoA all the time. drove those poor bastids outta here.

Seems to me that most people are in aviation because they love it not the money. Between that and the relatively small community that stuff is generally kept to a minimum.

The worst I've encountered are really corporate FBO takeovers where they impose a fee structure meant to milk bigger commercial flights and put light planes on the backburner. Not so much crooked as just annoyingly unaccommodating.

I bought a plane and paid for a “fresh annual” through the broker. He arranged it. Oil lines weren’t clamped. Safety wire laying on top of the engine. Two spark plugs with broken insulators. Some kind of weird “sludge” in the oil whose purpose is to increase compression. Engine started missing in flight. The instructor seat popped out of the rails during descent due to a missing stoppers. Right Magneto died in flight.Overhaul in logbook appears to be fake on inspection from two local A&Ps.

I always expected to have to give any aircraft I could afford some TLC. But we damn near didn’t make it to the nearest field. Lawyers are great but in the meantime I wish there was a way to say “buyer beware” for this broker and the A&P.

On further inspection a great deal listed in the ad was also false.

Hmm... wonder if I should write a Yelp review on POA?

You have the usual routes, e.g, the BBB, state Attorney General Office of Consumer Protection (if your state has one), small claims court and for the alleged offending A&P, the FAA through a complaint with the FSDO or some other place. Or you could use Fecesbook, Twitter, Instagram and whatever other social media you like and have a field day blasting them by name. You could also hire a lawyer and try to pursue the Broker and the Seller for fraud, and many of its close cousins. But in most instances, you will need some evidence to back your claims; a mere allegation is not enough. That’s why social media is probably your best resource - alternate “facts” and alternative reality is very much welcomed and indeed encouraged. You can create all the facts you need with no proof of any kind required. Hey, people get elected to public offices and appointed to high government positions using this technique.

I bought a plane and paid for a “fresh annual” through the broker. He arranged it.
If you'd have asked anyone on this board would have told you not to do this. Never take an aircraft with a "fresh annual". Aircraft should always be inspected by someone fresh to the airplane. Sorry you got played so hard.

Back