GPS-175 ‘Free’ Initial Updates?

sourdough44

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
WI Flyer
I think I know the answer, ‘No’, but still thought I’d ask. In the past with Garmin ‘portables’ I got a code to do an initial update. With a panel mount GPS that free update doesn’t seem to be a thing.

The current database is dated Dec 2019. Before I drop some coin at flygarmin I wanted to ask. The shop recently completed the dual G5 install along with the GPS-175, I do like it.

You should have gotten a “coupon” for one database update in the box with the 175. Ask the shop about it.

Yes, I was there yesterday to pay the bill. They had ‘computer problems’, just talked with the billing office. I’ll check with them in the next few days to ask.

The Garmin site mentioned initial updates with ‘portables’, not so much about panel mounted GPS boxes. It makes sense to allow the user to start updated.

Every Garmin gps I have installed has a coupon for a free database update so you can start with a current database.

Same here, earlier this year did a complete avionics upgrade with a Garmin stack. My GPS came with a free update. Additionally, each item came with a few free months of Garmin Pilot. Ended Up with over a year and a half of a Garmin Pilot for free.

Coupon is good for a year from date of purchase.

I installed a GPS-175, not with a shop, bought self purchased and installed with sign off/assistance of IA/A&P and no coupon was included. Called Garmin a few months later in Spring when starting IFR training and they gave me a one time upgrade for free over phone. Even if you don't go through a shop, they will honor one free one. I've since purchased a year sub, easy process to update.

Three was a coupon for Garmin Pilot with the GPS though. I did try it, but didn't want to learn a new program, had just spent the month before switching over to Fore-flight. Might look at it again when I'm done with my instrument rating.

I installed a GPS-175, not with a shop, bought self purchased and installed with sign off/assistance of IA/A&P and no coupon was included. Called Garmin a few months later in Spring when starting IFR training and they gave me a one time upgrade for free over phone. Even if you don't go through a shop, they will honor one free one. I've since purchased a year sub, easy process to update.

Three was a coupon for Garmin Pilot with the GPS though. I did try it, but didn't want to learn a new program, had just spent the month before switching over to Fore-flight. Might look at it again when I'm done with my instrument rating.
Hi Chris. I’m about to start the install of the 175 with a G-5. We’re you able to get the Garmin 175 install manual. I’ve been searching but only find them Maintenance manual.

Back