Definition of "multiengine airplane"?

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
Is there a formal definition of "multiengine airplane" in the FARs? I looked through Part 1.1, 61.1, 23, 25, and some others and can't actually find a definition to what, to most people probably seems obvious. But I'm surprised, because there are formal definitions to just about everything else.

How this strange question came up is, the other day I was asked pretty much this: "What is the definition of a multiengine airplane? Can the engines be dramatically different sizes? What if I take an RV-7 (or any other E-AB airplane) and mount an electric toy motor on the wing and call it an RV-77 - is it then a multiengine airplane? Can I use that to log multiengine time?"

Honestly I couldn't really answer this from a regulatory standpoint. Though the idea of him applying to the airlines with thousands of hours of multiengine RV-7 time was humorous. It would be interesting to watch the interview!

Is there a formal definition of "multiengine airplane" in the FARs? I looked through Part 1.1, 61.1, 23, 25, and some others and can't actually find a definition to what, to most people probably seems obvious. But I'm surprised, because there are formal definitions to just about everything else.

How this strange question came up is, the other day I was asked pretty much this: "What is the definition of a multiengine airplane? Can the engines be dramatically different sizes? What if I take an RV-7 (or any other E-AB airplane) and mount an electric toy motor on the wing and call it an RV-77 - is it then a multiengine airplane? Can I use that to log multiengine time?"

Honestly I couldn't really answer this from a regulatory standpoint. Though the idea of him applying to the airlines with thousands of hours of multiengine RV-7 time was humorous. It would be interesting to watch the interview!

FWIW, here's what Merriam and Webster have to say about it. I guess that's kinda official. If ya go looking, I'm sure you could find other terms that don't get specific FAA definitions.

multi-engine

adjective
Save Word

To save this word, you'll need to log in.

mul·ti-en·gine | \ ˌməl-tē-ˈen-jən

, -ˌtī- \
Definition of multi-engine
: having more than one engine a multi-engine airplane

I would say that both engine needs to have a service ceiling of more than -48,000,000 feet.

FWIW, here's what Merriam and Webster have to say about it. I guess that's kinda official. If ya go looking, I'm sure you could find other terms that don't get specific FAA definitions.

multi-engine

adjective
Save Word

To save this word, you'll need to log in.

mul·ti-en·gine | \ ˌməl-tē-ˈen-jən

, -ˌtī- \
Definition of multi-engine
: having more than one engine a multi-engine airplane
So, what would you call an aircraft powered by two or more electric motors only? By definition an electric motor is not an engine. :D

So, what would you call an aircraft powered by two or more electric motors only? By definition an electric motor is not an engine. :D

Lol. Yeah, I looked that up to. Definitions differ. When they finally get an electric airplane certified it'll probably be the thing that makes FAR 61 reach critical mass and self destruct

A former coworker built an RV... I want to say it was a 9. He had explored the idea of bolting one of those model plane jet engines like the ones that the fellow out in Mojave almost killed himself with when he attached two of them to some other experimental (can't recall which). Anyway, they said it would count as an engine.

You can log Cri-Cri time as multi-engine, and it is. Now... is anyone going to hire you for the airlines with 2,000 hours of Cri-Cri time? Probably not.

A former coworker built an RV... I want to say it was a 9. He had explored the idea of bolting one of those model plane jet engines like the ones that the fellow out in Mojave almost killed himself with when he attached two of them to some other experimental (can't recall which). Anyway, they said it would count as an engine.

You can log Cri-Cri time as multi-engine, and it is. Now... is anyone going to hire you for the airlines with 2,000 hours of Cri-Cri time? Probably not.
What if it's the turbine version?

What if it's the turbine version?

That's why airlines want to know how many hours you have in what type, not simply "Multi time" and "Turbine time".

How do those propellers not hit each other?

It's a little hard to tell from the photos, but they aren't in the same plane. Well, they are, but not in the same geometric plane.

Also, Pilawt types faster than I do.

That double-cub might be the cutest airplane I've ever seen. If airplanes can be "cute".

How have I been a pilot for over over 25 years and never seen that before?

My humble opinion. If the second engine is not an APU and is required to be operational for airworthiness, it’s a multi engine aircraft.

Last edited:

Back when one needed about 800 hours of multiengine time to get hired by the airlines, I recall reading about a guy that did build much of his time in a Turbine Cri-Cri. As I recall the Airlines did hire him when he had the required hours.

Brian

Back when one needed about 800 hours of multiengine time to get hired by the airlines, I recall reading about a guy that did build much of his time in a Turbine Cri-Cri. As I recall the Airlines did hire him when he had the required hours.

Brian

I should've clarified.

I'd believe that 100% during the pilot shortage era. Now? Not so much.

Brian

:lol: That's fantastic

The root of your question is how to log multi engine time the cheapest. Well you could do it about anyway you want. The cri cri is a valid option, there were a couple of ultralights you could build and register as experimental. As Ted said, a year ago the airlines wouldn’t care as its only a regulatory and insurance check box. 3 years from now they will not care once again. If you are wanting a job at an aerial survey company, or a charter company, they will likely care and not consider it comparable experience.

I should've clarified.

I'd believe that 100% during the pilot shortage era. Now? Not so much.

That was prior to the pilot shortage and the 1500hr requirement, when 1st officers were making less than most pizza delivery drivers.
Back then the main requirements to get hired were a college degree and about 800hrs of multiengine time, with Turbine time being preferred.
At time we had a local cargo company that if you had your commercial multi-engine rating you could pay them $60 a day to fly right seat in their metro-liners so you build Multi-engine Turbine time.

Brian

Brian
Interesting thing about multi engine time is that most of it really doesn’t make you a better multi engine pilot. ;)

Is there a formal definition of "multiengine airplane" in the FARs?
As defined in what context? Multi-whatever is one of those FAA terms that could have a number of definitions depending on use. Just like the word "current." For example on the engine side, a P&W PT6T twin pack is technically classified as having multiple engines (power sections) as in a Bell 212, yet can also be classified as a "single engine" as in Cessna Caravan. So it's more how the number of engines (power sections) interact in the specific context that determines the definition of the "multi" part like with a Cessna 337 multi-engine rating.

What about one engine driving two props?
Like this one?
300px-Wright_First_Flight_1903Dec17_%28full_restore_115%29.jpg

Great, perfect example (and one I love to see flying).

Is that categorized as a "multiengine airplane"? I assume yes, of course. Does the pilot need a multiengine rating to fly it? I also assume yes. Type rating (it's a jet - I'm sure it experimental, so it wouldn't be a "type rating" though. But what if it was a production airplane?)

I imagine the two engines are of dramatically different power. (Though I suppose maybe they're not too different.) But where is that limit? If during testing he instead attached the smallest, lowest-power model airplane jet engine he could find, would it still be "multiengine"?

And, for fun, does he log this as "turbine" time? Multiengine turbine (sort of)?

Want to build cheap multi time.??

Get 1 hot air balloon with 2 burners, each controlled separately. Tether said balloon with a 300 foot rope. Stretch the rope upwind, fill balloon and let it drift downwind. Take 2 hours to go 600 feet point to point and log it as cross country time. Name the balloon Super Ranger 71. Abbreviate Super Ranger 71 to SR 71 in your log book.

Ok, it might not work for getting a job.....but after several strong adult beverages you can break out the log book and impress your friends....

Great, perfect example (and one I love to see flying).

Is that categorized as a "multiengine airplane"? I assume yes, of course. Does the pilot need a multiengine rating to fly it? I also assume yes. Type rating (it's a jet - I'm sure it experimental, so it wouldn't be a "type rating" though. But what if it was a production airplane?)

I imagine the two engines are of dramatically different power. (Though I suppose maybe they're not too different.) But where is that limit? If during testing he instead attached the smallest, lowest-power model airplane jet engine he could find, would it still be "multiengine"?

And, for fun, does he log this as "turbine" time? Multiengine turbine (sort of)?
sadly you will not get to see it, jimmy was killed in this aircraft in july 2005. yes, it was considered a multi-engine aircraft. i don't really know the answer to the LOA requirements, but they were in contact with the FAA throughout development of it so I am sure they had the paperwork all figured out before the aircraft was built. the jet was used at idle for all flying except for vertical maneuvers. It had two separate throttles, as the aircraft would pull onto an upline you could hear the turbine spool up, the vertical climb rate was impressive. I truly doubt that jimmy logged anything except what was needed for legal reasons, with all the years he was on the airshow circuit the amount of hours he had must have been very large. Jimmy was a true showman, as is his son kyle. he is very missed on the airshow circuit.

Back