NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watch college sports and used to have season tickets to a Class A baseball team in town. Dropped those when they extended netting all the way to the outfield wall driven by the lawyers worried about being sued if somebody was hit by a ball or bat going into the stands. I told them if I wanted to watch performances in a cage, I go to the Zoo. Haven’t watched a major league sport in years, except a few NHL Stanley Cup finals.

Todays Major League “Pros” are a bunch of grossly overpaid oafs. Felt that way long before what’s his face started the trend for NFL “protests”.

I have been watching Formula 1 Races hoping for a race like last Saturday where someone not driving for Mercedes Finished in 1,2, or 3

Cheers

Nothing says you have the right to tell them not to express their opinions before the game just because you bought a ticket. Your right is to simply not buy a ticket. Or to boo.

I might buy a ticket on another airline, of fly myself. But I would never claim that you don't have the right to run your airline how you want to.
It’s not their platform or their team and it’s not my airline. It’s a workplace and the employer can impose reasonable restrictions of which telling the guy to shut up, stand up or find another job is perfectly fine and legal.

until team owners grow some balls and do exactly that they get no more of my money.

They can sure say and do whatever they want because it’s a free country but that doesn’t mean there can not be consequences.

I guess farming is popular for people who haven't tried to make a living farming. :-/
I believe the poll is how people view/respect that industry vs if they wanted to work in it. For example, a lot of people would like to work at a cushy federal government job yet that field ranks last in how people view it. Having worked on a farm for a couple summers I tend to agree with the poll when it comes to respect.

I do enjoy watching motorcycle roadracing. Those guys take a knee in every corner. And sometimes an elbow, just for good measure.

upload_2020-9-13_15-42-52.png

My wife and I, right now, are standing in our kitchen finishing up cooking some South African Chicken and Tomato Stew accompanied with coconut and peanut rice, discussing just how much we've enjoyed the last ten years of watching the NFL games on Sunday, Thursday, and Monday nights... but haven't watched this year. I would LOVE to take a big ol' bowl of this spicy goodness downstairs to the big screen and enjoy a game tonight... but I just can't. I just can't. We watch it over the air... we wouldn't be giving them any money, and nobody would know we were watching.... but I just can't. If they would put "Skin Color Doesn't Matter" or "Content of Character" on their helmets, we'd watch in a heartbeat. I am VERY sad. We loved watching football. Sadly, I'm probably faced with watching a Rom Com tonight... sigh.

My wife and I, right now, are standing in our kitchen finishing up cooking some South African Chicken and Tomato Stew accompanied with coconut and peanut rice, discussing just how much we've enjoyed the last ten years of watching the NFL games on Sunday, Thursday, and Monday nights... but haven't watched this year. I would LOVE to take a big ol' bowl of this spicy goodness downstairs to the big screen and enjoy a game tonight... but I just can't. I just can't. We watch it over the air... we wouldn't be giving them any money, and nobody would know we were watching.... but I just can't. If they would put "Skin Color Doesn't Matter" or "Content of Character" on their helmets, we'd watch in a heartbeat. I am VERY sad. We loved watching football. Sadly, I'm probably faced with watching a Rom Com tonight... sigh.

Pick another sport. The ACL Cornhole Championship is on tonight.

The NFL players are 75% Black, it would appear they have the owners over a barrel. If I were a team owner I would try to sell as soon as possible.

The NFL players are 75% Black, it would appear they have the owners over a barrel. If I were a team owner I would try to sell as soon as possible.
At this point, it's not a race issue at all. Visit the Black Lives Matter website. The fact that the players are a majority ethnicity is immaterial. The fact that the majority of players have convinced the minority of players, the ownership, and the media coverage that their cause celebre is civil rights based rather than based upon political philosphy is the issue. Pointing out that 75% of the NFL players are black, if that's fact (and I don't know that it is... but it doesn't matter), is immaterial. In the paraphrased words of Dr. King... content of character, not color of skin. It's what you believe that matters.

I poked around a bit on the TV during yard work and dinner breaks. Have any stadiums allowed fans inside? I haven’t seen any.

I know that KC did allow about 16,000 for their Thursday night game to start the season.

I’d like to know how many of these athletes have gone for a ride along with their local LEOs. In other words how many are doing something other than wearing a T-shirt or kneeling.

The one good thing about sports was that you could walk into a bar or somewhere where a game was on and be surrounded by fans. It didn't matter if you were straight or gay, black or white, rich or poor, or whatever. For a few hours everyone came together to cheer on your team. Even if you were rooting for the other team, you could still get along with everyone. The player, owners, and leagues ruined that. Thanks.

At this point, it's not a race issue at all. Visit the Black Lives Matter website. The fact that the players are a majority ethnicity is immaterial. The fact that the majority of players have convinced the minority of players, the ownership, and the media coverage that their cause celebre is civil rights based rather than based upon political philosphy is the issue. Pointing out that 75% of the NFL players are black, if that's fact (and I don't know that it is... but it doesn't matter), is immaterial. In the paraphrased words of Dr. King... content of character, not color of skin. It's what you believe that matters.[/QUO

You just don't get it.

I still don't know how many stadiums allowed fans inside.

The KC/Houston game Thursday night, being the first game of the season, got a lot of extra publicity. One of the things that having 16k fans inside can do is allow fan reaction to be picked up by the cameras and microphones. Even though the National Anthem was pre-recorded to avoid unexpected controversy, the crowd was live. Some of the national press made a deal about the boos coming from the stands during the "show of unity" at midfield just prior to kickoff. What the national press does not say is that, during this time, the scoreboard was displaying a lot of anti-racist and BLM catch-phrases. No one, other than the fans inside, saw that. So the fans inside were the only ones being told to stop being racist. I suspect that had more to do with the boos than the players meeting on the field.

I'll stick with college ball. Ga Tech beat FSU in the season opener on Saturday, so it was a good weekend.
Wish there was something stronger than "LIKE"! Or I wish that I could at least "Like" it more than once!
Go Jackets!
And they did it with a true freshman quarterback that was committed to FSU until FSU fired their coach last year.

I find this notion that not joining in with the national anthem is political whereas singing the national anthem is not political kind of hilarious.

Never been a huge TV sports fan, and the cost of going to games is nuts. I make enough that traveling via private plane is possible and I still think the cost of going to games is high. If a football game is on the TV at home it's usually because my wife turns it on. So me not going or watching really won't be much of an impact.

I didn't go to any MLB games for about 20 years after the strike. Not that I went to many before that, but I did go at times. I even turned down free tickets. There was a complaint about "only" making a million a year and the strike put people who made less than $30k out of one of their second or third job working at the stadium. Sorry, not supporting that.

My big beef years ago when Kapernick started kneeling was that my company, and most other employers, would fire me and others for protesting on the job. If he wants to protest that's fine. Even using his celebrity name to help. All good. But doing it on the job when the customers are paying for sports entertainment? Not so much.

I didn't go to any MLB games for about 20 years after the strike. Not that I went to many before that, but I did go at times. I even turned down free tickets. There was a complaint about "only" making a million a year and the strike put people who made less than $30k out of one of their second or third job working at the stadium. Sorry, not supporting that.
I thought I was the only one that still held a grudge for that. I knew a bunch of people around Atlanta Stadium that lost their incomes because of that.

I find this notion that not joining in with the national anthem is political whereas singing the national anthem is not political kind of hilarious.

I don't understand singing the anthem at football games, especially since the last line of the song is, "Drivers, start your engines!"

Isn't it?

Tried watching the Vikes/Packers. Our team was sucking like usual. But what threw me off was the "crowd noise". It seemed like it was being generated or augmented somehow vs what an empty open air stadium should sound like. I kept thinking that whoever did laugh tracks for Gilligan's Island was hired for one last job to play boos and cheers.

As other posters said, non-team sports are still fun to watch and way less politics. Really liked watching the US Open this year.

These players don’t want change. They want to further excite the rage because they are ignorant. They are fighting for a false narrative that there is systemic racism yet want their own black specific national anthem? They think their race is oppressed because of economic injustices yet they don’t put their millions where their mouth is. If all these players, actors, celebrities, and singers “redistributed” their net worth to these oppressed communities I would be encouraged they are trying to actually make a difference. It would solve nothing but that’s a whole different argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back