We have been looking for a Motorcycle for My Wife

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
While the wife is taking her MSF course this weekend, I went and looked at a motorcycle for her.
Shadow RS.JPG
A 2012 Honda Shadow RS.
This is very different than the other Shadow trims. Honda only offered it for three years and only one year in this blue. Luckily, I was able to find one within driving distance. It is reminiscent of the HD Sportster as it is narrow but with a higher seat. Seat height is very important to the wife, not too high but not too low. It needs to be around 27-29 inches. It is Fuel injected and water cooled. Very little engine vibration as compared to the Sportster that we tried the day before. It has 3600 miles asking $2900. It started up right away. Idled fine. Shifted normally. One downside is the fuel tank only holds 2.8 gallons. Also, most of the non-structural bits are plastic, unlike the HD.
Does anyone have any experience with this model/trim?

I had a 2005 Shadow Spirit. Yup, the tank is small. Good seat height for shorter folks.

The main thing I want to mention is the stock seat is horrible horrible horrible. Unbelievably bad. Really bad. I didn't realize how bad until I took a ride longer than 7 miles. OMG - my backside hurt. Did I mention that stock seat was bad?

You did a very impressive job here. Not only did you convince her to let you get a motorcycle, she's getting in on the action as well.

Once your wife begins to ride - things really change. Not all for the better, IMO. However, ymmv.

You're on a twisty section of mountain road, and you're checking the rearview with every turn.

However, it's a whole other thing in other ways. Good luck and be safe!

In general,Shadows are great bikes. When my wife wanted to join me but on her own bike, I bought her a beautiful little Rebel... Gorgeous cute bike. She was fine riding it in fields to learn, but freaked out her first time on the road and never drove again. Had to sell the bike. She still loves to ride on mine with me.... But to be honest I don't like the responsibility for her life with all the other idiots on the road these days. We don't ride much together anymore.

Got no gripes about Shadows, they're nice bikes. I especially like the ones with the shaft drives, though I am an admitted fan of shaft drives. Difference is the Honda Shaft drives don't break. Only one I ever heard of breaking was on a 30 year old Goldwing on a mountain on a dirt and gravel road.

Were it me I'd be looking at the Rebel 500. Lighter, lower, but with plenty of power. Cheap too. But I hope things work out whichever way the OP decides to go. i once bought a Goldwing just so I could ride my wife around. I'd still be doing that had I not seen that MRI of her back.

It’s a Honda. If it’s comfortable and rides well, mechanically it should be fine and $2900 is a good price.

I love my wife being a motorcyclist too. It’s an activity we can both enjoy actively.

Oh--you're buying a motorcycle for your wife. I thought something different.

TIm
Yeah, it’s a trade I’ve never been able to accomplish either.

I got a dog for the kids... great trade.

Back