Flying to My First Towered Airport Tomorrow

SkyChaser

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
SkyChaser
So, tomorrow, I'm flying to my first towered airport. I'm nervous! LOL I've only been to a towered airport as a passenger on a jet. It's a lot easier to fly where no one is watching you and no one knows if you screw up. I've thoroughly researched the airport, have the airport diagram printed off, and all the frequencies written out on my flight plan. Is there anything else I can do to make it as painless an introduction as possible?

Are they going to have me for lunch?! (I am only half-joking...)

if there's anything you're unclear of, ask sooner than later. better to clarify than screw up. be prepared for some potentially non standard stuff from what you're used to, but nothing crazy (ie 'extend downwind, I'll call your base', etc...)

Nah... towered airports are much easier. Just do what you're told. None of this making radio calls and coordinating with each other like those wild west untowered fields. Those places make me nervous.

Listen to the atis before you get there and check in with the correct information

So, tomorrow, I'm flying to my first towered airport. I'm nervous! LOL I've only been to a towered airport as a passenger on a jet. It's a lot easier to fly where no one is watching you and no one knows if you screw up. I've thoroughly researched the airport, have the airport diagram printed off, and all the frequencies written out on my flight plan. Is there anything else I can do to make it as painless an introduction as possible?

Are they going to have me for lunch?! (I am only half-joking...)

Remember you are the PIC, not the people in the tower. If they tell you something that doesn't make sense, don't hesitate to question them. Keep the exchange as normal as possible, and don't try to sound like a pro by imitating others.

Your magic phrase (aka, "Get out of Jail Free" card) is, "Student Pilot"

Don't fret the tower. They are there to help you, but have to hear certain phrases or terms repeated back (like the runway number) so that it is clear you understand the directions (and also so it is clear on the recording.) As you approach the tower - maybe 10-15 miles out, make sure you get the ATIS information and be able to read back the latest weather.

e.g. "Sioux Falls Tower, this is Bugsmasher 123, Student Pilot with Tango, eight miles east of the airport, inbound for landing, full-stop."

The tower will provide assistance as you approach and directions for entering the pattern (or straight in to the active runway). Nothing to worry about! Really!

When I was a student pilot at my home-drom (KFUL which is notoriously hard to see), the tower cleared me to land. Except I still didn't have the field in sight and was following train tracks to where I thought the airport should be. The tower asked if I knew where the airport was, and I admitteded, "Field not in sight, Student Pilot." The tower did a great job giving me vectors until I had the field in sight.

Good luck tomorrow - you'll be fine! But remember the magic words... "Student Pilot."

What Class?

Who you are talking to.
Who you are.
Where you are at.
With information. (ATIS)
What do you want.

Breath, Don't rush yourself. Anticipation.

Remember the magic words, “Student pilot”.

On the ground don’t forget you can ask for progressive taxi instructions.

In my experience tower controllers are very accommodating to someone asking for a little extra attention.

all excellent advice. +1 on stating you're a student pilot. that will get you extra attention especially if it's busy. i'll offer...

- take a moment to breathe and get your thoughts clear before you make your radio calls. it's more important to actually communicate than to sound like chuck yaeger.

- get your ATIS wx early and then monitor the CTAF as soon as you can.

- stay ahead of the airplane. plan your moves. based on ATIS weather and CTAF traffic you should be able to anticipate to which runway the controller will direct you. if it's not busy and you're more or less lined up don't be surprised if you're directed 'straight in'.

- make your initial call to establish communications 15-20 mi out. this is your first flight to a Class D...no rush. tower will acknowledge you, give you altimeter setting and direct you to position for a runway....direct in, enter left downwind, enter left base, etc. the controller will also tell you to report position X-miles out. do the best you can estimating that.

- as mentioned if you get confused or don't understand ask for clarification.

- don't worry about others judging you. we were all rookies at one time. focus on flying the airplane and understanding the controller's instructions.

you'll be fine and please let us know how it went.

Nothing to be afraid of. Trust me on this - there’s a good chance some nitwit will be in the airspace that’s dumber than a bag of hammers too.
I solo’d in a Diamond Katana in ‘96 doing my first landing apparently parallel with a DC-8 at KYIP. I made my turn from left base to final and I could see the captain waiving at me... They made it obvious to the crew that it was my first landing. I all but sh*t my pants. But I remembered to “always fly the plane”. 16 years later it paid off when I lost my engine in takeoff and flew it all the way into the ground.

If you’ve used flight following before, it’s not that different; remember to read back instructions. Some non-standard things can occur such as:
* enter the pattern on base
* opposite direction pattern
* Tower calls your base
* Approach forgets to send you to tower
* Cleared for the option
* Taxi to Rwy X via A without a clearance to cross Rwy Y
* Left/Right 360 for spacing

Useful phrases:
* Student Pilot
* Unfamiliar
* Say Again
* Unable
* Progressive taxi instruction

Aviate, navigate, and then finally communicate.

Nothing to be embarrassed about in the communication department. Fly the plane.

Non-towered used to intimidate me.

Report back here how it was a cool non-event!

Bless you @SkyChaser for writing "Towered" instead of that other word that triggers me ;)

You'll find it easy if you remember the basics. Who are you talking to? Who are you? Where are you? What do you want to do?

The rest is just radio fluff.

Another vote for using the phrase "student pilot." I may or may not have used that phrase, even after getting my certificate, after lengthy pauses from flying beyond my control.

Also, if you feel nervous on the radio, practice your call out loud before keying the ptt button. The second or third time through it'll flow just fine..then key the mic and do it for real. Of course,don't wait too long to acknowledge atc instructions.

I always used and still use a knee board to write down instructions regardless of how mundane they are. When listening and copying...juts be a copy robot...do not try and interpret what they are saying, just write it down...otherwise your mind can wind up in left field and forget critical parts of the instruction...that makes read back easy peasy THEN you can ask for clarification of needed.

Bless you @SkyChaser for writing "Towered" instead of that other word that triggers me ;)

You'll find it easy if you remember the basics. Who are you talking to? Who are you? Where are you? What do you want to do?

The rest is just radio fluff.

Controlled, controlled, controlled. Rant away:goofy:

You’ll do fine. If you want to get more familiar with what to expect, listen to the tower and ground on Liveatc.net. Do it with the airport diagram in front of you, to help visualize what is going on.

Last edited:
Once you get good at radios, you might prefer towers over untowered airports. I sure do.

Yes, I am still in training. It's Sioux Falls, KFSD.

I hold the seeminly unpopular opinion that (s)he should NOT go. Unless there's a LOT more to this, we're talking about a student pilot (that's what I'm reasonably assuming by his "...still in training..."

(S)He needs a specific endorsement from his /her instructor to solo to another airport (yes, to land, but even if to buzz the tower, it's the same). Did that happen? If so, the instructor is endorsing it without adequate training (I think it's inadequate if never been brought to a towered airport ever)? If no endorsement, then it'll be an illegal flight.

And instruction from this board will suffice?

Too many things don't add up for me to encourage him/her to go.

Sorry. Don't go.

Are you flying solo? If your instructor is going with you, you have nothing to worry about. Learn from it and when you fly into a towered airport solo, you'll know what to do.

I hold the seeminly unpopular opinion that (s)he should NOT go. Unless there's a LOT more to this, we're talking about a student pilot (that's what I'm reasonably assuming by his "...still in training..."

(S)He needs a specific endorsement from his /her instructor to solo to another airport (yes, to land, but even if to buzz the tower, it's the same). Did that happen? If so, the instructor is endorsing it without adequate training (I think it's inadequate if never been brought to a towered airport ever)? If no endorsement, then it'll be an illegal flight.

Sorry. Don't go.

Read your own post again. How can you end it with a simple "don't go" when you have so many unanswered questions?

The FBO is pretty nice over there. If you are in flight following, they will hand you over to the tower, get the ATIS before calling them. And after you depart, fly over the river and do some sightseeing, it’s pretty cool

Sorry. Don't go.

I'm about to be as guilty of conjecture as the post quoted above, but I read Skychaser's posts as those of a student who was going to make her first flight to a towered airport with her instructor, she was nervous about it, and wanted to be as prepared as possible for the lesson. That's all. Instruction methods vary. Some CFIs like to take a student through new experiences in the airplane first, then do explanations, suggestions, and further ground work after the flight, while others do extensive prepwork with students before the flight so the student will know what to expect. I think both approaches are valid, and the effectiveness of either is dependent upon the student. Personally, I can read books and listen to lectures at length and learn effectively, but I learn MORE effectively and faster if I get an overall, in-flight experience first. After that, I have a practical, hands-on basis for applying, remembering, and understanding the information I'm reading and hearing. I'm a voracious reader, but I can read the same couple paragraphs ten times out of an IFR handbook or service manual without quite getting the full picture. Hop in the airplane, or grab some tools and start working, and things make MUCH more sense.

I think we're just seeing a good student with normal nervousness doing what she can to be fully prepared for a lesson that may be presented in a style that does not quite fit her preferred method of learning. That's all.

Love,

Nostradamus Freud.

I did my training from a towered airport, so for the first 10 or so hours after I got my certificate it was the opposite with me - I dreaded entering the pattern at airports with no control tower. With a tower controller, you pretty much just do what they tell you to do. If you are unsure - ask for clarification. I remember on one of my solo flights out of the class D I was coming back from practicing and tower told me to enter a left base for 34L. I entered the most wonky, non-90 degree base you can imagine... more like a 45 to left downwind.... Tower held my hand with some mild vectoring the whole way in and pretty much knew I was either a student pilot or a rookie. Point is - they are there to help you get into and through their airspace as safely as possible. Does no good for tower controllers to be anything other than professional and helpful to the pilots/aircraft they are controlling.

Oh, funny story about my first solo XC - also to a towered airport (Charlottesville, VA). I was on with flight following and they said to contact tower when I had CHO in sight. Which I did. When I thought I had CHO in sight. Which I actually did not have in sight. As I was on with tower and executing the perfect straight in approach to 21 as instructed, tower called up and asked if I really did have the field in sight. Which I quickly realized I did not - honestly I'm not sure WHAT I had in sight but it was about a mile to the west of CHO. Again, some light vectoring by the helpful controller put me back on centerline for 21.

Point is - please don't be afraid of these guys. ATC is almost (almost) always there to help and keep you safe. If you ever have questions about what they want you to do or don't understand - just ask.

First of all, the weather today is beautiful, but the plane is grounded due to an engine issue. So, no cross country today. :(

For anyone worried, no, I am not flying solo. My instructor will be coming along when we actually get to fly. I just prefer to come to my lesson as prepared as possible. Sorry for the confusion!

Who you are, where you are, what you want, do as you're told.
Any questions, ask.

Have fun.

Also, review 14 CFR 91.126 through 91.131. Specifically, the requirements that apply to operating at towered airports.

Look for the three things for which you must have a clearance at a towered airport.

Look to see how the traffic pattern requirements (i.e. regulations) differ at towered airports from non-towered airports.

Review 14 CFR 91.125 ATC light signals.

Review the Pilot/Controller glossary for terms that you are likely to hear and use when talking to ATC that you might not use very often at non-towered airports.

Review AIM 4-2 Radio Communications Phraseology and Techniques

Review AIM 4-3 Airport Operations for the sections on operating at towered airports.

First of all, the weather today is beautiful, but the plane is grounded due to an engine issue. So, no cross country today. :(

For anyone worried, no, I am not flying solo. My instructor will be coming along when we actually get to fly. I just prefer to come to my lesson as prepared as possible. Sorry for the confusion!

Have fun with it. It isn’t that much different from an uncontrolled field. You still fly the plane. Tower will be making some choices for you, like pattern entry. You can usually anticipate that based on ATIS and your direction of flight into the airport. It does help a lot to listen constantly, though, good situational awareness can help make life easier all around.

Hopefully your CFI will let you do all the talking. You’ll be fine. After this trip you’ll wonder what the big deal is.

If your CFI was trying to send you to a towered airport without ever bringing you to one, I would say boot him and a get a new one. The same goes for students at towered airports that the CFI never takes them to an uncontrolled field.

If anything he says conflicts with what we said, be sure and say “but on POA they said......”:fingerwag:

Back