Heart palp and the third class medical

R

RonBurgandy

Brief history.... a few weeks ago I experienced some palpitations which coincided with some major life stress (mother-in-law passed, health issues with other family members, life in general). Went to see my PCP who performed an EKG which was normal. However, given family history of heart issues, she ordered an ECG and nuclear stress test which happen next week. In the interim, symptoms seem to have subsided. I do 45 minutes of cardio 5-6 times/week with no pain or shortness of breath. I do have high BP controlled by one low dose med.

Anyway, just wondering how this will play out when it’s time to renew my medical in November?

Well if the treadmill nuclear (not a seated nuclear) is negative, the Holter monitor is unremarkable and the Echo is normal, you'll be issued as normal.

Short of the aforementioned "wall of workup" it depends what's in the the doc's commentaries....

I had history of heart palpitations as well, before going for my third class I went to my PCP, he ordered an EKG and a 14 day heart monitor (zio patch), FAA accepted this and issued a normal cert after review without any further follow up.

Did you consider the option of going basic med and then do your heart tests. That way it is up to you and your doc. It doesn't seem like you're in immediate danger (if any at all).

I had history of heart palpitations as well, before going for my third class I went to my PCP, he ordered an EKG and a 14 day heart monitor (zio patch), FAA accepted this and issued a normal cert after review without any further follow up.

That’s the kind of outcome I’m hoping for.

Did you consider the option of going basic med and then do your heart tests. That way it is up to you and your doc. It doesn't seem like you're in immediate danger (if any at all).

My current 3rd class doesn’t expire until November. Depending on how these test go, BasicMed is an option going forward.

Well if the treadmill nuclear (not a seated nuclear) is negative, the Holter monitor is unremarkable and the Echo is normal, you'll be issued as normal.

Short of the aforementioned "wall of workup" it depends what's in the the doc's commentaries....

Spoke with the office and they are not doing treadmill stress tests due to COVID-19. Is a chemically induced stress test an acceptable substitute?

No need for that. Just go to the doctor, open your laptop, and start doing work e mails. Should pop it up more than any treadmill

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back