Relatively low-maintenance airplanes that have decent cross-country performance?

I mean someone is asking about a legit cross country machine. That rules out a whole bunch of planes when your hobbies are more than just staring at an iPad.
True. And yet, thousands of people own RV's and are quite satisfied with their cross country abilities. A Piper Malibu wouldn't be a good plane for any of my missions. But I don't jump into threads discussing them and put them down because my mission is different than the mission of those who fly them.

Have arrows dropped off the planet? I'm a little surprised it wasn't at least mentioned up to this point.

post #98....

Honestly, our Arrow is really good on trips like this. Just flew 200 nm each way with my kid to see my folks. Good speed, good gph, comfy, stable, etc... I like it. But that doesn't mean that 1000 other PoA'ers will agree.

totally agree. Arrow is good for this mission. Probably got lost in my Bonanza joke. Or people are just anti-Arrow for some reason. To each their own. But I love ours for this range and hauling ability.

post #98....

totally agree. Arrow is good for this mission. Probably got lost in my Bonanza joke. Or people are just anti-Arrow for some reason. To each their own. But I love ours for this range and hauling ability.

Thanks. I totally missed it.

True. And yet, thousands of people own RV's and are quite satisfied with their cross country abilities. A Piper Malibu wouldn't be a good plane for any of my missions. But I don't jump into threads discussing them and put them down because my mission is different than the mission of those who fly them.
I was unaware that this thread was solely dedicated to RVs.

Or people are just anti-Arrow for some reason. To each their own. But I love ours for this range and hauling ability.

The reason people wax anti-arrow on here is the same banal aspersion they have over most 4-banger retracts: "tHeY'rE "sLoW". Nevermind they're all within 10 knots of each other (block time), with the wetted area being the only inflection (mooney to Beech Sierra, with the rest of them lined up within that spectrum). Conversely, cabin volumetrics inversely proportional to speed in that spectrum. And they all climb like an asthmatic at Machu Pichu, compared to having 50-85 more horsepower. Shocker.

The good news is that because of the cult pricing of the dakota and archer, it retains a discount in the PA-28 sub-market. I too find the NA Arrow a good value for my mission given that discount.

Huh. I never felt like the Arrow was slow... not the fastest, but I plan for 140 and get it almost on the numbers at 5000 up. 9 or so gph. And I think our arrow climbs pretty well. Oh and it will get in and out of some pretty short fields - as short as I want to play with anyway.

oh well. To each their own I guess.

140 doesn’t mean much. Is that true airspeed? GS? IAS? MPH. Kts?

I was unaware that this thread was solely dedicated to RVs.
a1-2.jpg

Let's restate it then. Just because plane X doesn't happen to fit my mission, I do not put down plane X when mentions of plane X come up in conversations not necessarily dedicated exclusively to plane X. Happy now? Didn't think so. It shows.

a1-2.jpg

Let's restate it then. Just because plane X doesn't happen to fit my mission, I do not put down plane X when mentions of plane X come up in conversations not necessarily dedicated exclusively to plane X. Happy now? Didn't think so. It shows.
Didn't realize this was about your mission. The original poster asked a bunch of questions about bunch of different aircraft. Seems that only your mission is the one that is important and acceptable as to what across country is and what is allowed for discussion.I was just showing that certain airplanes are not conducive to a cross-country mission when broadly defined. But by all means continue how it's only your mission that is acceptable never mind the fact that the airplane that I happened to fly was the first one to be denigrated in the thread.

But thats ok right?

RIF.

Seems that only your mission is the one that is important and acceptable as to what across country is and what is allowed for discussion.
Nope. Nothing in what I wrote even comes close to suggesting that. That's all you bud.

I was just showing that certain airplanes are not conducive to a cross-country mission when broadly defined.
It would have been pretty easy to simply say RV's aren't great if you intend to take hundreds of pounds of baggage with you on your cross countries if that was the point you were truly trying to make. But you didn't. So I'm going to take the same approach I take with my employees when they tell me one thing but their actions tell me something else, i.e. I don't know the what the truth is, but I know what the truth isn't.

I think the OP's point was to troll us all and see if we would break whatever previous record there is. So this thread will be about RV's then Grumman's, some type of toga/lance and probably cycle through Bonanza's at least twice. Plus it will end with an argument over something miniscule and a threadlock. Maybe the thread is useful but doesn't seem like it to me if the OP is not interacting to keep it more focused to his/her intent. Otherwise it is fun to watch it wander all over the place. Plus 'miniscule' doesn't appear to be in the spell checker which is interesting.

Too funny...they're both words now.

Hope we don't thread lock over something so minuscule as miniscule

So, akording to varyus websights, miniscule is an awlternit speling that iz now axepted becaws its bin ewezd a lot evin tho its rong, and thu write speling iz minuscule. Makes sens two mee.

Might want to check out a new plane coming out soon...canard, pressurized, 300kt all for under 200K...

...too soon?:D

I had a bad experience with a flying club selling a plane on a Tuesday when I had it booked that Wednesday for a long weekend trip. And no backup option. The few flying clubs I have been in have not come out and said dont take extended trips, but it was implied to not.

For me- its either own or not fly. A partnership may work also.

that sucks. My club isn’t like that. Just schedule and then ask for the okay. Been on three multi day trips. No problems. Your mileage will vary. My club would never just up and sell and aircraft like that.

that sucks. My club isn’t like that. Just schedule and then ask for the okay. Been on three multi day trips. No problems. Your mileage will vary. My club would never just up and sell and aircraft like that.

How about multi week trips? And then there is the pressure to return on schedule. I fly when weather permits, and have extended trips because of bad weather on the return.

My club experience so far has been great. No worries if you get stuck because of weather - they understand. Can’t comment on multi week trips because I work full time and can’t go anywhere for multi weeks. But you can do a multi week trip a few times a year if you plan ahead.

How about multi week trips? And then there is the pressure to return on schedule.
Can't comment on all clubs, but in the club I was a member of (and any club I would consider being a member of), any pressure to return on schedule was pressure that you put on yourself only. Airplanes, in a club or otherwise, end up being grounded and therefore unavailable unexpectedly all the time for surprise maintenance items. If club members can live with that, then they can sure as sh*t live with me getting back from my trip a few days later than expected because the weather had other ideas.

How about multi week trips? And then there is the pressure to return on schedule. I fly when weather permits, and have extended trips because of bad weather on the return.

Early on in the club’s history a guy wanted to take a plane to Alaska. The board was leaning for approval on that I believe but something happened and the guy canceled anyways. Regardless, just out of courtesy I don’t like taking a plane for more than a few days. And there’s no pressure about delaying due to wx. I cannot afford sole ownership and I’m more than happy doing what I’m doing.

Back