First Overnight (KCRQ Advice)

Scottman

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Scottman
Hi Everyone,

I’m planning my first overnight trip and going to KCRQ. Having never done this before, what is the process? Do I just taxi to transient parking, tie the plane down, and put some coins in the meter? (kidding). Do I radio someone and they’ll direct me in? What do you do if transient is full?

Any KCRQ experts have any advice? I’m trying to avoid getting stuck with $50 ramp/overnight fees (won’t need to buy fuel). I believe transient parking is at the base of the tower, just not sure what to do from there.

Sorry for the newbie questions. Thanks in advance.

Depends on the FBO. Sometimes it can be to your advantage to buy a bit of overpriced fuel to avoid some of the fees. Call the FBO(s) and ask.

+1 call and get the lay of the land. Also look at comments in Air Nav or Fore flight. Usually if no comments, then their probably will be no big surprises.

Yep, call and get the details. Or email, but a call is quick and easy to ask follow-up questions. One could be if WF has a minimum fuel purchase does their self serve fuel count towards that.

Wayne

Or call the airport manager. Sometimes, transient parking is owned by the local airport authority, or a municipality (City or County) and parking may be anywhere from free for 1-2 nights or they may charge for every night. For example, I fly into an airport that is owned by a municipality frequently and the first 5 days are free. The FBO may also have transient parking as noted above. Sometimes the more difficult question is figuring out where the parking is located.

There is no one answer for all airports that is easily accessible so it takes a bit of detective work between web sites and FBO sites to see what options are. I usually search both POA and the airport web site to see if there is municipal transient parking...sometimes that takes a call to the airport manager/office. Next is to check AirNav for FBO options and if using one of their services give them a call to confirm rates and fuel mins if any and let them know I am arriving.

Absent a special event, transient parking being full is typically never an issue. If arriving at a tower airport they can direct you to transient parking if available or to FBOs but can not recommend one over another if there are multiple options. Many FBOs will have a Unicom frequency to ask where to park vs having to move again once you shut down...if all else fails just ask on CTAF, someone is usually listening.

If not using a FBO, be sure you are actually IN transient parking and NOT in someone's paid parking tiedown. I was on a ramp tiedown at the end of a row for a while and more than once I retuned to find some transient jackwaggon parking in my spot.

For municipal transient, just park and go check in at the terminal office...if no one is there check in upon departure to pay overnight fee...if no one is there again there may be a fee envelope on your plane or a drop box near by...if not, you may get a bill in the mail...or not.

Last edited:
Transient parking at the base of the tower is operated by County. I’m based there so don’t know if these rates are still valid but it used to be $7 per night. Just keep in mind that it’s limited.

Here is the website, I suggest you call them: https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/content/sdc/dpw/airports/palomar/rates.html

If the transient parking is full, then Western Flight is your next best option, they are more piston-friendly then other FBOs that cater more to the jet crowd.

Hi Everyone,

I’m planning my first overnight trip and going to KCRQ. Having never done this before, what is the process? Do I just taxi to transient parking, tie the plane down, and put some coins in the meter? (kidding). Do I radio someone and they’ll direct me in? What do you do if transient is full?

Any KCRQ experts have any advice? I’m trying to avoid getting stuck with $50 ramp/overnight fees (won’t need to buy fuel). I believe transient parking is at the base of the tower, just not sure what to do from there.

Sorry for the newbie questions. Thanks in advance.

Airnav is usually my first stop to check things like this. The user comments are particularly useful.

I agree on Airnav.

I always call. They usually ask my tail number and expect me. Some FBOs for liability reasons want you to bring your own ropes; always ask that.

And some airports not only lack tie-down ropes, but even the rings. At such an airport you need chocks. It’s good to call and ask.

All the above is good advice. Also check the weather patterns as I remember Palomar had an awesomely inconvenient marine layer such that an IFR rating would be handy.

For what it is worth, I highly recommend Western Flight. Just tell ATC ground when they ask where you are parking "Western" and they will give you taxi instructions there. Once you taxi into the FBO there is usually a Marshall to guide you. If not, pull up close to the terminal and they will tug your plane to a tie down. Call them ahead of time and tell them you are planning to fly in and ask about fees. If you need a rental car, they will pull it up to your plane (or nearby) and you can drop it off on the ramp when you leave. I believe you can either book through them or directly with Hertz (probably other firms as well but I wouldn't know) - I did the latter just over a month ago. I think they charged me $15/night and waived a night or two as I got a top off but I'm not 100% on that. Call them and ask.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

As @perwahlen just demonstrated, the one thing which tops contacting the FBOs ahead of time and reviews on airnav etc. is local knowledge, easily available these days here on PoA and many other sites.

Once you have selected the FBO - say, in this case, Western Flight - I would still call them a day or two before my arrival and ask if there's anything special I need to know, what the fees are, and if there are any discounts or weekend specials they can tell me about. You wouldn't believe how often you can save money by simply asking about it.

- Martin

Do call ahead like suggested. I've been at a couple of places that had large events and ONLY because I called ahead and left a name and N-number, did I get a parking spot. Other pilots were peeved that I was getting the last one and they thought they were there first ... also helps that I've been to a lot of these places before, and they like return customers.

On another note: the FBOs very often can get better hotel pricing than your internet quotes (special pilot pricing supposed to be for commercial guys I guess). Called last minute (literally at take off) to Stinson in San Antonio and they were less than HALF what I was getting quoted for on a July 4th arrival a few years ago on the river walk.

You are ASEL, AMEL and Instrument and have never done an overnight anywhere? Wow.

All the above is good advice. Also check the weather patterns as I remember Palomar had an awesomely inconvenient marine layer such that an IFR rating would be handy.

This is definitely true. CRQ or OKB are usually the first to go IFR and the last to go VFR.

Did this trip happen? If not, any other questions not already addressed?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Back