Piper Down McMinnville TN (KRNC)

Damn hate to see this

Top prop blade looks undamaged... engine probably wasn't running.

Nice big open field, can't understand how it was fatal. Plane doesn't even look that badly damaged.

Top prop blade looks undamaged... engine probably wasn't running.
I noticed that and thought the same. Seems unusual that it would be completely stopped.

So sad. Witness reports a turn-back. Plane came to rest adjacent the end of the runway - about 50-60yds off to the side of the runway/taxiway headed toward the FBO.

*I do not know their direction of travel initially.

If, as reported, the pilot flew the first part of the trip at 1,800 feet, that's pretty low, given the 1,000 or so ground elevation in that area.

I noticed that and thought the same. Seems unusual that it would be completely stopped.

I think that lines up the the lack of a skid mark. This looks like it hit the ground flat and hard with little or no forward speed. Thats assuming that stalling it with the engine out is the most likely way to stop the prop.

If, as reported, the pilot flew the first part of the trip at 1,800 feet, that's pretty low, given the 1,000 or so ground elevation in that area.

the departure airport was 600 MSL then destination airport was 1000 MSL, so nothing highly abnormal about being 1000 AGL or more after departing an airport.

Sad looks like it should have been a survivable crash.RIP

Just after a touch & go, sounds like on climb out, low to ground. I’m reminded of that big push required to keep flying speed if engine problems after takeoff.

It was a short flight, so the 1800’ isn’t totally abnormal, lower than I’d normally fly. With the short flight, fuel should of been ok. My questions would be, how we’re things setup during/after the touch & go? That includes fuel selection, mixture & the rest. The plane flew routinely.

Departure stall is my read. They hit pretty hard, the landing gear is balled up under the airplane and the engine broke loose from the mountings.

Just after a touch & go, sounds like on climb out, low to ground. I’m reminded of that big push required to keep flying speed if engine problems after takeoff.

It was a short flight, so the 1800’ isn’t totally abnormal, lower than I’d normally fly. With the short flight, fuel should of been ok. My questions would be, how we’re things setup during/after the touch & go? That includes fuel selection, mixture & the rest. The plane flew routinely.

Departure stall is my read. They hit pretty hard, the landing gear is balled up under the airplane and the engine broke loose from the mountings.

Looks like the plane hit very hard. Wondering stall spin to land bottom down so hard. They look like hearty people, just wonder if a pattern turn was too slow for the gross weight?

Service people out having some R&R is especially sad.

Last edited:
The last item on my run up checklist is recite (in my head with Px and out loud if solo) “WHEN my engine quits on THIS take off- I will yell PUSH and I will do so”.

Was a recommendation of a CFI that had a student of his stall on power loss after take off and subsequently flying with pilots simulating it and finding we just don’t react like we should when it’s a surprise...

a silver bullet? No - but not a bad idea...we all think we’re above it- but we’re not- we are just as human as the next pilot...

might be good reading for the OP in that other thread bragging about his impossible turn prowess...
Problem with folks like that is they goad people into trying to make the turn. Odds are they'd have fared far better going straight ahead. The outcome is always better if you can keep the airplane under control.

Back