Making Decisions Despite External Pressures - Rescuing 6 Puppies for Pilots N Paws

FlyingMonkey

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingMonkey
We recently used our Cherokee 6 on a Pilots N Paws rescue mission. Not everything went according to plan and this flight reminded me about how we as pilots sometimes must make tough decisions despite a lot of external pressures. Hope you enjoy:

Great video - I really like the way you put these together. I have been flying with my family too (well, my daughter at least), so it's cool to see you and your family flying together. I also just signed up for Pilots n Paws... haven't flown any dogs yet, but my daughter is really excited about doing some flights. We have one dog... and I told my kid we will still ONLY HAVE ONE DOG after each P 'n P mission! lol. We'll see, right?

Great video - I really like the way you put these together. I have been flying with my family too (well, my daughter at least), so it's cool to see you and your family flying together. I also just signed up for Pilots n Paws... haven't flown any dogs yet, but my daughter is really excited about doing some flights. We have one dog... and I told my kid we will still ONLY HAVE ONE DOG after each P 'n P mission! lol. We'll see, right?
They always want to adopt the dog we fly- usually it is only one dog. I have had to say no a couple times but they usually do ask. haha. When you start doing missions make sure you ask if they are going to provide a crate or if you need to bring one. And now I just keep a couple leashes up at the hangar for the missions and a portable water bowl and some towels to cover the interior. Had a dog throw up once in turbulence- poor guy.

Great videos.. The note you pointed out about the VNY Class D isn't for Class D VFR services. There is no requirement to contact SoCal to transition the airspace VFR when the tower is closed. The note is for IFR services, both departure and arrival, to the field. Of course, SoCal will usually provide services, when called, like seamlessly happened to you on this flight.

Great videos.. The note you pointed out about the VNY Class D isn't for Class D VFR services. There is no requirement to contact SoCal to transition the airspace VFR when the tower is closed. The note is for IFR services, both departure and arrival, to the field. Of course, SoCal will usually provide services, when called, like seamlessly happened to you on this flight.
That's great to know. I was wondering about that when I saw the NOTAM since I thought it was unusual...and now it makes sense. I probably should have ALSO monitored the CTAF on Comm 2. Great to learn thank you for this.

Just glad you didn't try and shoot the approach with a 200 foot overcast and 3/4. I was getting nervous there.

Just glad you didn't try and shoot the approach with a 200 foot overcast and 3/4. I was getting nervous there.

Maybe one day if I am shooting a lot of approaches in actual IMC every week and am trained up real good.

Deciding to divert wasn't the hardest decision you had to make. :D

Back