Resources for Doctors - BasicMed

Ronald Monsen

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ron
My 3rd class medical is expiring. I thought maybe I would go the BasicMed route and just use my personal (non AME) doctor to do the exam. He almost immediately said no. He is afraid of getting sued. He literally said, "I cannot certify your health and send documents to the FAA." I told him he was wrong on both accounts. We certify ourselves and nothing is sent to the FAA. It doesn't matter, he is still balking. So he has a call into his insurance company to see if he can tolerate the risk. No matter what I say is irrelevant - he needs to have some official sources to appease his concerns.

I have searched for this question and have found nothing. There should be a solid source of information for doctors and insurance companies so that they understand the process and relieve their concerns. Is there?

--Ron M.

I gave a copy of the same FAQ to my PCP, and although he had agreed to give me my physical exam and sign off the CMEC, I think reading the FAQ allayed any liability concerns he may have had.

Does he do CDLs? How could this be different?

Does he do CDLs? How could this be different?

Basic Med is easier on the doc than the CDL. I didn't read the FAQ sheet, but the one I used with my physician explained basically that if they were ok to drive a car they'd be ok on the BasicMed.

While back I asked my doc, he was interested. Something a little out of the ordinary. I've been doing the third class though.

To my doc', it was just another form to fill out. No different than a summer camp physical...

My Doc is a good friend goes to my church and we hang out socially as well. If he didn't do it I would let the air out of his tires. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back