Before and After on the PA28

It's been 5 years in the making, but I am finally done with the panel upgrades (for now)!:) The NARCO's are gone. Started with the JPI, then ADSB, GPS, G5's, Comm 2, and finally AP and AOA.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoVbWwEj1MLxpHtFufnwjRh9DWMZ?e=y4TNA6

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoVbWwEj1MLxpHx0kTEf7NSlekxp?e=Q3Y368
Oooh, a game of spot the differences?

The JPI was already there, so we'll start with the upper left:
  • uAvionix AV20S
  • G5 AI
  • G5 HSI
  • GDL52
  • TruTrak AP
  • EI digital tach
  • Avidyne AMX240 audio panel
  • GNS430
  • Lynx NGT-9000 ADS-B
  • GTR200 COM radio
  • tablet mount

Not sure if the CO detector was already there and can't quite tell if it's a Kidde or a First Alert.

All-in-all, very nice!

Oooh, a game of spot the differences?

The JPI was already there, so we'll start with the upper left:
  • uAvionix AV20S
  • G5 AI
  • G5 HSI
  • GDL52
  • TruTrak AP
  • EI digital tach
  • Avidyne AMX240 audio panel
  • GNS430
  • Lynx NGT-9000 ADS-B
  • GTR200 COM radio
  • tablet mount

Not sure if the CO detector was already there and can't quite tell if it's a Kidde or a First Alert.

All-in-all, very nice!
Nailed it!

Did you do some (or all) of the work? Would it be rude to ask what the final cost tabulation was? I'm guessing that if I did that in my plane, I'd have almost twice the money I have in the rest of the plane in the panel. Not saying that's a bad thing...plenty of good reasons to do that. Just curious. I'm still trying to convince myself to sink $15k into a $30k airplane.

Wow what a set up, looks great. Congratulations!

Did you do some (or all) of the work? Would it be rude to ask what the final cost tabulation was? I'm guessing that if I did that in my plane, I'd have almost twice the money I have in the rest of the plane in the panel. Not saying that's a bad thing...plenty of good reasons to do that. Just curious. I'm still trying to convince myself to sink $15k into a $30k airplane.

I assisted in a lot of it with the over sight of our local A&P, so my labor costs involve some sweat equity. We also committed ourselves to the notion that this would be our "forever" plane (aside from the RV8 I'm trying to build), as it meets every part of our mission nicely. So with that, it was easier to disregard the ROI and put in what we wanted in function and fly the equity out of it. We fly a little over 100 hours a year, long XC to visit family, and routinely IFR/IMC.

2015 - JPI was first - $2K installed

2017 - G5 AI, 240 Audio Panel, NGT9000 - $15K Installed that included a full rewire of the audio system. In hind site I would not have done the 9000, lots of less expensive options now.

2018 - 430W, G5 HSI - $12K installed with the full intention of sliding in an Avidyne 440 when the Garmin dies. I picked up the 430W for 5K with a fresh 8130 from Garmin...couldn't pass that deal up.

2020 - AV 20S, TruTrak AP, Garmin 200, Glare Shield, Windshield, and 760 - $15K installed

All total...$44K invested in to a $38K purchase (man, I shouldn't have added all that up...WTH was I thinking :oops:). The airframe has 3300 hours on it and the engine has 1400. I will never get the money out of it, but I will sure enjoy flying her for the next 10+ years visiting my daughters all over the country....hope to make 49 states.

I assisted in a lot of it with the over sight of our local A&P, so my labor costs involve some sweat equity. We also committed ourselves to the notion that this would be our "forever" plane (aside from the RV8 I'm trying to build), as it meets every part of our mission nicely. So with that, it was easier to disregard the ROI and put in what we wanted in function and fly the equity out of it. We fly a little over 100 hours a year, long XC to visit family, and routinely IFR/IMC.

2015 - JPI was first - $2K installed

2017 - G5 AI, 240 Audio Panel, NGT9000 - $15K Installed that included a full rewire of the audio system. In hind site I would not have done the 9000, lots of less expensive options now.

2018 - 430W, G5 HSI - $12K installed with the full intention of sliding in an Avidyne 440 when the Garmin dies. I picked up the 430W for 5K with a fresh 8130 from Garmin...couldn't pass that deal up.

2020 - AV 20S, TruTrak AP, Garmin 200, Glare Shield, Windshield, and 760 - $15K installed

All total...$44K invested in to a $38K purchase (man, I shouldn't have added all that up...WTH was I thinking :oops:). The airframe has 3300 hours on it and the engine has 1400. I will never get the money out of it, but I will sure enjoy flying her for the next 10+ years visiting my daughters all over the country....hope to make 49 states.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply... very much appreciated. That's almost exactly what I'm facing, just on a slightly smaller scale. I've got $24k or so into my plane, TONS of sweat equity, a very low time engine (300 hours SMOH)... and only one nav/com w/ GS. Already put in a Stratus ESG so the adsb and new transponder is covered, but my AR850 encoder won't last forever and I'd love to add GPS for eventual IFR use. Between putting in the Stratus, and then recently a four-place intercom and helping my A&P with a harness on an Arrow... I know just enough about avionics to realize why installation costs so much.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply... very much appreciated. That's almost exactly what I'm facing, just on a slightly smaller scale. I've got $24k or so into my plane, TONS of sweat equity, a very low time engine (300 hours SMOH)... and only one nav/com w/ GS. Already put in a Stratus ESG so the adsb and new transponder is covered, but my AR850 encoder won't last forever and I'd love to add GPS for eventual IFR use. Between putting in the Stratus, and then recently a four-place intercom and helping my A&P with a harness on an Arrow... I know just enough about avionics to realize why installation costs so much.

You mentioned a few things that really save some money...building harnesses, working the seats and side panels out and in, removing all old gear and mine out of old wire...all of these things take time and can be done by a pilot. One other thing is understanding the regulations...the Garmin 200 is a prime example. That radio saved me almost a thousand dollars over a “certified” radio. And there is no requirement for a com radio to be “certified”...nav/gps is a different story of course. All these things add up to fun tickets staying in your pocket.

You mentioned a few things that really save some money...building harnesses, working the seats and side panels out and in, removing all old gear and mine out of old wire...all of these things take time and can be done by a pilot. One other thing is understanding the regulations...the Garmin 200 is a prime example. That radio saved me almost a thousand dollars over a “certified” radio. And there is no requirement for a com radio to be “certified”...nav/gps is a different story of course. All these things add up to fun tickets staying in your pocket.

I never thought about that. I'm toying with the idea of a straight comm with no nav when my kx155 dies.

Back