Replacing/upgrading a Cessna 170 O300 motor...what’s the best go?

Magnus P.IFR

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Required
How difficult would it be to replace an O-300 with a 180 or 200HP version? Can you swap it out with an IO-360 without extreme changes to cowlings? It’s a 1951 C170.

How difficult would it be to replace an O-300 with a 180 or 200HP version? Can you swap it out with an IO-360 without extreme changes to cowlings? It’s a 1951 C170.
FWIW: This is dated info, but if I recall there were 4 or 5 STC options in the 180/200hp range. Don't know if these STCs are still offered nor do I remember how extensive the cowling mods were, but had a friend install a 180hp 360 in his 170B from a shop in Alaska.

Lycoming O-360 requires little domes to be cut into the cowl. XP mods used to have a Continental IO-360 210hp STC and somebody else had a 220hp Franklin STC. No idea about cowl mods on the latter two. The first one is very common.

It requires a new Motor mount. $3500. and then a engine $? , rubber mounts, baffling, and some other stuff, like a aux tank. our customer paid $75K 3 years ago.
The best of this conversion is the IO-360 220 HP.
Tom Anderson is the guy to talk to.

I last talked to him about 10 years ago.

https://tlgw.aero/about

https://tlgw.aero/xpmods

Last edited:
Lycoming O-360 requires little domes to be cut into the cowl. XP mods used to have a Continental IO-360 210hp STC and somebody else had a 220hp Franklin STC. No idea about cowl mods on the latter two. The first one is very common.
I believe the OP was asking about the IO-360-K 220 mod.

It requires a new Motor mount. $3500. and then a engine $? , rubber mounts, baffling, and some other stuff, like a aux tank. our customer paid $75K 3 years ago.
Ho. Lee. Crap! No wonder they're so rare and expensive.

When my Hawk XP punched a rod through the case 25 years ago the Continental IO-360KB was the second most expensive air cooled Continental engine you could buy. On top of the engine you'll need to rework the fuel system to add a fuel accumulator and return line, an electric fuel pump, a prop governor, and a constant speed prop. It's a big job. And at the end you'll still have a 170.

Yeah, I think with these numbers I’ll hold my breath for a C180. Thanks for replies.

If you are in for a project call me. (pm)

Back