40YearDream

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
40YearDream
Saw this today during a bathroom stop in the midst of my long cross-country:
upload_2020-9-5_20-31-10.jpeg
upload_2020-9-5_20-31-23.jpeg
The bottom of the hull did not appear beaten up / damaged - maybe he/she pulled up as soon as he heard the props making loud noises, and managed to do a go-around with some 'customized' propeller blades?

So may just departed dad along with with a friend in the 1960 forgot your do that with an brand new Barron. It actually caught on fire and burned. Jack on the way out of the plane pulled the lever down. I have seen damage like this from a ground retraction. Bonanza driver got confused on the flap and gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wasn’t that the one where the pilot flew to another airport, and was in the process of swapping props to sell it when the FAA got wind of his shenanigans?

Not sure of the backstory, but it seemed apropos to the thread. Guess some people have survived the feat in the wild! :D

Not sure of the backstory, but it seemed apropos to the thread. Guess some people have survived the feat in the wild! :D

True...and the phrase “you just became a test pilot” that’s often used here is definitely applicable...

I guess that's one way to deal with the propeller blade tip vortices...:rolleyes:

A plane from MI landed gear up at our airport 6+ weeks ago, seemed like a fuel stop. The plane sits now with the prop off, I think the owner/insurance is deciding what to do. I don’t have the heart to even take a picture of it.

A plane from MI landed gear up at our airport 6+ weeks ago, seemed like a fuel stop. The plane sits now with the prop off, I think the owner/insurance is deciding what to do. I don’t have the heart to even take a picture of it.

The problem these days is the hull values of many of our older, aging airplanes are less than the cost of the prop/engine/airframe work after a gear up.

Couple of friends of mine lost their 250 Comanche that way two years ago. Did everything correctly after not being able to get three greens. But it had a three blade prop so impossible to avoid the strike. Although the damage to the airframe looked pretty minimal the insurance company didn't hesitate to write it off and pay out on their hull coverage. It was sad to see that airplane leave the airport on a truck, with its wings clipped, a few days later.

Forgot to do his GMPS check?

wasn’t that the one where the pilot flew to another airport, and was in the process of swapping props to sell it when the FAA got wind of his shenanigans?
Yeah, something like that. There is no NTSB report, that's for sure.

It now features Q tip props

Bonanza driver got confused on the flap and gear
Yeah that big yoke bar with the flap and gear hidden (along with every other switch, requiring finger gymnastics) has bitten people!

Yeah that big yoke bar with the flap and gear hidden (along with every other switch, requiring finger gymnastics) has bitten people!

*gasps* I'd never.... How dare you challenge ancestor worship, dear sir! :D TC

That and on the early ones they're non-descript piano keys. At least the Navion (owing to NA's big boy heritage) made the gear shaped like a wheel and the flap shaped like a flap.

Lot of this going on. There was a recent gear up on a twin at KSNS Salinas, CA. Guy forgot the gear switch. :7(

Last edited:
Back