Skyline Route NYC Hudson River

maggot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
maggot
I intend on flying the skyline route, Hudson River, nyc, tomorrow. I am thinking early evening will suit me best, 1800ish. Sun position, traffic, schedule are my considerations. My schedule is flexible, does anyone have input on a better or worse time, and what reasons ?
Thanks

With the tourist helicopters have been grounded, any time is usually good these days. If you are unsure, you can always do it at 1500 Feet with a bravo clearance.

Last edited:
That should work fine. There will likely be some traffic (was monitorring 123.05 this evening between 2030 and 2115 and there were at least 4 helicopters and 3 fixed wing sightseeing). Sun will be low in the west so be prepared for compromised visibility westbound. If you're traveling in that direction its a good time to have flight following and ADS-B (TIS-B) traffic display. On the other hand, the light quality on Manhattan should be excellent for both viewing and photos.

You'll be in the Bravo doing the Skyline route, so consider asking for a Central Park transition to the East River to get a view to the East side of Manhattan as well as the Hudson River. It's easiest, I find, to do that when you are traveling north up the Hudson. Once you're cleared to make the transition you turn right at the 79th Street Boat Basis (a marina on the Hudson that it pretty easy to see...or just shoot to turn about 1/3 the way up Central Park). Turn right again at the East River to go south back towards the southern tip of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty. One more right turn north up the Hudson.

Last suggestion is to have (wear) emergency flotation devices. For most of the trip there will be no safe and dry landing area in the event of engine failure. Going down in the river may be your only choice. Fortunately there will be enough boats around that help should be quick.

Enjoy

That should work fine. There will likely be some traffic (was monitorring 123.05 this evening between 2030 and 2115 and there were at least 4 helicopters and 3 fixed wing sightseeing). Sun will be low in the west so be prepared for compromised visibility westbound. If you're traveling in that direction its a good time to have flight following and ADS-B (TIS-B) traffic display. On the other hand, the light quality on Manhattan should be excellent for both viewing and photos.

You'll be in the Bravo doing the Skyline route, so consider asking for a Central Park transition to the East River to get a view to the East side of Manhattan as well as the Hudson River. It's easiest, I find, to do that when you are traveling north up the Hudson. Once you're cleared to make the transition you turn right at the 79th Street Boat Basis (a marina on the Hudson that it pretty easy to see...or just shoot to turn about 1/3 the way up Central Park). Turn right again at the East River to go south back towards the southern tip of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty. One more right turn north up the Hudson.

Last suggestion is to have (wear) emergency flotation devices. For most of the trip there will be no safe and dry landing area in the event of engine failure. Going down in the river may be your only choice. Fortunately there will be enough boats around that help should be quick.

Enjoy
I’d planned on a south to north route. Departing BLM, off the tip of Sandy Hook, to VZ bridge. Flight following. The chart I’ve seen, says I’ll be with Newark tower. I might choose to go 1700ish. To shoot off up the East River, do I make a u turn at the end in order to continue north Hudson River ? My destination is DXR ? Chart shows altitudes between 1300 and 2000.will I have an option, is there a best recommend altitude ?

I’d planned on a south to north route. Departing BLM, off the tip of Sandy Hook, to VZ bridge. Flight following. The chart I’ve seen, says I’ll be with Newark tower. I might choose to go 1700ish. To shoot off up the East River, do I make a u turn at the end in order to continue north Hudson River ? My destination is DXR ? Chart shows altitudes between 1300 and 2000.will I have an option, is there a best recommend altitude ?
There are two different ways to make this flight. The "Exclusion" which is VFR, Self announce between 1,000 and 1,300 feet. The Skyline route, which is above 1,300 and in the Bravo airspace. If you are in the Bravo, you'll be given an altitude and it REQUIRES a Bravo clearance. The Exclusion is VFR with self announce points on the way. IMHO, a more scenic route and with less helicopter traffic, less intense.
Have you taken the online course that is required to fly either route? It explains all this.https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/course_content.aspx?pf=1&preview=true&cID=79

Sorry that I am responding too late. You've probably already done the trip. For the record, that is the routing I'd have recommended from KBLM. Contact NY Approach in NJ and tell them that you want to fly the Skyline route northbound up the Hudson. They will hand you off to Newark tower near the VZ bridge. Let them know that you'd like to do the Central Park transition to the East River south back to the Statue of Liberty then back north up the Hudson. They will assign either 1500 ft or 2000 ft (no choice of altitude in the Bravo). Newark will hand you off to Laguardia near the Holland Tunnel. Bear to the middle of the Hudson to avoid the Trump Tower TFR. At the 79th street boat basin (about half way up Central Park) make the right turn across Manhattan. Another right at the East River (stay to the right, it is narrower than the Hudson). LaGuardia often gives an altitude change somewhere along the way (1500 to 2000 or the reverse). Take the East River south to the Hudson. LaGuardia will hand you back off to Newark. Tell them that you'd like to circle the Statue of Liberty and head north up the Hudson. Take a few laps around the Statue of Liberty and head north when you're done (again, remember to avoid the Trump Tower TFR).

There are two different ways to make this flight. The "Exclusion" which is VFR, Self announce between 1,000 and 1,300 feet. The Skyline route, which is above 1,300 and in the Bravo airspace. If you are in the Bravo, you'll be given an altitude and it REQUIRES a Bravo clearance. The Exclusion is VFR with self announce points on the way. IMHO, a more scenic route and with less helicopter traffic, less intense.
Have you taken the online course that is required to fly either route? It explains all this.https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/course_content.aspx?pf=1&preview=true&cID=79
thanks for the help. Took the course this morning. Flew the excursion at 1100’.

Back