New IFR GPS

Mattu

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mattu
I am part of a club. We have 4 people, who own a piper Cherokee 180. It is equipped with ILS/LOC. We also have a old Garmin I think 230. We have 1 member with his IFR and I’m working on mine. We also have left/right autopilot. We have a l3 transponder with adsb in/out. We’re looking at the Garmin 355. Can someone answer me what this will do?
1)does it do a ILS/LOC
2)does it do adsb in/out
3)can it link with our autopilot
4)it come with a radio I believe
5)main goal was IFR GPS
6)what’s the minimums with this unit

1)does it do a ILS/LOC
2)does it do adsb in/out
3)can it link with our autopilot
4)it come with a radio I believe
5)main goal was IFR GPS
6)what’s the minimums with this unit
1) No, not as primary
2) No
3) Maybe. Need to know make/model of autopilot.
4) COM, yes
5) OK
6) LNAV and LPV

The 355 is limited by not having a legacy ILS/VOR. Garmin wants you to pony up for the GTN650 and GI-106 indicator.
I suggest you investigate the Avidyne 540.

A good used GTN 430W will likely fulfill whatever need you have at a lower cost.

If looking for new replacement for existing Garmin navigator, the GTN 175 is a “stand alone” GPSwaas navigator with LPV capability.

Last edited:
The Avidyne 540 is interesting. Does it have the stuf I asked about above? I can’t tell by there website. We are trying to get an IFR GPS system in our plane, that will Ollie is to do as much as we can for around the $15,000.00 mark.

My IFD-540 sends/receives to my legacy HSI (both GPS and VOR) and my HSI communicates with my legacy A/P (STEC 60-2).

I don’t have GPSS, so I have to turn my nav pointer to what the IFD tells me.

1)does it do a ILS/LOC - YES
2)does it do adsb in/out - NO. IT CAN BE REMOTED TO YOUR TX. I BOUGHT AVIDYNE’S TX.
3)can it link with our autopilot DEPENDS. SEE ABOVE.
4)it come with a radio I believe YES
5)main goal was IFR GPS - YES
6)what’s the minimums with this unit - ILS, LPV AS LOW AS ALLOWED.

And you will need a CDI for the 355. A G5 HSI makes the most sense to go with it, unless you already have something that will work (unlikely).
if you need/want GPS capability and another COM then the 355 makes good sense.

Brian

The OP says he already has ILS/LOC. Why's he need another in the the GPS, he's got it already. Presumably he already has a couple comms as well. If so, the 355 will add GPS navigation with WAAS, and will allow them to do LPV approaches. So why does he need a VOR in the GPS when he's got one in the panel already? I'm in the same boat, except mines an antique IFR GPS. I can't do LPV approaches, but I can do GPS approaches all day. Assuming I ever get the coin to do the IR, that is.

The OP says he already has ILS/LOC. Why's he need another in the the GPS, he's got it already. Presumably he already has a couple comms as well. If so, the 355 will add GPS navigation with WAAS, and will allow them to do LPV approaches. So why does he need a VOR in the GPS when he's got one in the panel already? I'm in the same boat, except mines an antique IFR GPS. I can't do LPV approaches, but I can do GPS approaches all day. Assuming I ever get the coin to do the IR, that is.

Because the new box can also do ILS/LOC, if needed for panel space or ILS redundancy. Maybe?

I couldn't tell from the OP post if what kind of GPS he has. If he meant a 430 even Non-Was I would tell him for Cherokee 180 to just leave it unless it isn't working. It will do everything he needs for IFR training and any kind of IFR he could or should be doing. Upgrading would only add LPV approach which in 99% time are not needed to complete a flight.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

We do not have IFR gps on the plane. We have a lynx l3 for transponder that connects to iPad For ads-b in/out. And a old Garmin 296 in the dash. We have a ils/loc needle.

We’re just trying to upgrade to an IFR rated GPS and trying to see our options.

It would nice if our lynx l3 would connect to whatever we buy to get our weather/traffic for a-dsb To connect to but idk if that’s even possible.

Again this thread it much appreciated because I’m trying to learn.

My flight instructor says buy a used garmin530 because it has everything. He doesn’t like the touch screens while trying to fly, and the 530 does everything we’re talking about.

Garmin gps175 and a compatible CDI (if the one currently in your plane isn't compatible...check the list in the Garmin site). I've been obsessing about the same decision for over a year, and that seems to be the least expensive option that'll get you LPV capability.

Want GPS, ILS/LOC, Comm radio, IFR certified, and knobs & buttons as an option.... Sounds like an Avidyne IFD-440.

I went through a similar question and finally pulled the trigger on the GNC-355 paired with the KI-209 LOC/GS that was already in the panel. The 355 gave me both a WAAS GPS that could talk with Foreflight but ALSO updated one of comms, making more room in the panel.
The 355 was a 'just do it' situation.
It is important to not OVER equip a plane (PA28R-180) for just light IFR and IR training.
A 530 might be one solution but for just a little more with the 355, you start at the BEGINNING of the garmin support lifetime where the 530 is closer to the end of its support life from Garmin.

GPS175 = IFR GPS with LPV capability.
GNC355 = GPS175 + Comm
GNX375 = GPS175 + ADSB in/out Xpndr
GTNxxx= bigger screen, GPS, vhf nav, comm.

All need a (garmin) indicator - 108, 275 or G5.

And when you price everything out, the cost as you move up is basically a small premium over getting two separate units to do the same job. So it really comes down to panel space, preference and budget. For OP it seems like the current package deal 175+108 is the cheapest route.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

We do not have IFR gps on the plane. We have a lynx l3 for transponder that connects to iPad For ads-b in/out. And a old Garmin 296 in the dash. We have a ils/loc needle.

We’re just trying to upgrade to an IFR rated GPS and trying to see our options.

It would nice if our lynx l3 would connect to whatever we buy to get our weather/traffic for a-dsb To connect to but idk if that’s even possible.

Again this thread it much appreciated because I’m trying to learn.

My flight instructor says buy a used garmin530 because it has everything. He doesn’t like the touch screens while trying to fly, and the 530 does everything we’re talking about.

why spend install money to put in a 20 year old tech unit that is nearing end of life for service? a new install on a 430/530 unit is just flushing money down the toilet. when you are going to spend thousands just for install why would you do that when in a couple of years when the unit is no longer serviceable you will need to spend more to install a new unit. even the argument that an avidyne is a slide in replacement does not hold much water, just buy the avidyne now then. just spend a bit more now and by a in production unit. if you already have a decent nav/com with ILS and adsb just go with the 175. its about the cheapest way to get an in production IFR GPS. As good as the 430/530 line was its day is passed.

Mattu - I am in the process of swapping out a recently upgraded Garmin GNS 530W and replacing it with an Avidyne IFD540. The 530W is in pristine condition, and is being sold with two sets of data cards, mounting rack, connectors, and a brand new GPS antenna. If you're interested, send me a message off-list.

HTH!

GPS175 = IFR GPS with LPV capability.
GNC355 = GPS175 + Comm
GNX375 = GPS175 + ADSB in/out Xpndr
GTNxxx= bigger screen, GPS, vhf nav, comm.

All need a (garmin) indicator - 108, 275 or G5.
Not so. The GTN prefers a GI106 or MD200 indicator, but the 175, 355 and 375 work with many other indicators because they do not need a GPS/VLOC annunciator.

Not so. The GTN prefers a GI106 or MD200 indicator, but the 175, 355 and 375 work with many other indicators because they do not need a GPS/VLOC annunciator.
You're right. its a 106 (108 doesn't exist of course). thats the discounted package deal with the 175.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I think the Avidyne 540 is looking good now it’s more money but seems to do everything. Am I missing something?

It's all about dollars, and what you can afford. The IFD540 is going to cost you plenty more than the 530W. You get what you pay for...

I have a garmin 175 with a dedicated gps cdi (it was used garmin cdi my installer had), in addition to my ils/loc. It's a great setup, the gps is fantastic, the touchscreen user interface is sooo much easier to use than some older gps without touch screen. It connects with my adsb for traffic weather, and it also connects with my ipad for one button flight plan transfers via bluetooth. I can highly recommend the 175, highly. Only downside is the screen is not as big as some, but for the $, can't beat it imo for WAAS gps.

The Avidyne 540 is interesting. Does it have the stuf I asked about above? I can’t tell by there website. We are trying to get an IFR GPS system in our plane, that will Ollie is to do as much as we can for around the $15,000.00 mark.

Feel free to shoot an email to sales@avidyne.com and one of our sales reps would be more than happy to answer any and all questions you have.

Back