Funky looking jet liner

I'll bet Jack Northrup doesn't think it looks funky.

Does it not actually work so well as the designers hope?
I think the issue turns more on practical matters. For instance, what is the seating configuration? From the picture, the guys with window seats have a great view, but if it's the typical six abreast, the people in seats D-F are going to be pretty far from a window. People will put up with inconveniences [cough-Spirit Air-cough] but it's not going to be popular.

Emergency evacuation is another potential issue. Current standard is that all occupants have to get off even if one side's doors are blocked. They're not showing the internal configuration, but if it's not wide open, the occupants of a side with unworkable doors will have to file up to the center and into the other wing to reach the emergency exits.

Probably works better for a cargo plane (which includes those which drop their cargoes in-flight).

Ron Wanttaja

Enter service in 2040? Forget it. Thought it said maiden flight.

Not really ground breaking news on the technology. Boeing has been flying a blended wing scale model for decades.

I think the issue turns more on practical matters. For instance, what is the seating configuration? From the picture, the guys with window seats have a great view, but if it's the typical six abreast, the people in seats D-F are going to be pretty far from a window. People will put up with inconveniences [cough-Spirit Air-cough] but it's not going to be popular.
Imagine the ride quality sitting in one of the outboard seats farthest from the airplane centerline. You might have a window, but you're also going to get an interesting ride rolling in and out of turns :D

Nauga,
floaty

Not really ground breaking news on the technology. Boeing has been flying a blended wing scale model for decades.
Boeing was flying the X-48B/C from 2007-2014*, for much the same reason as this example (R&D), yet with the X-48 as well there were articles talking about 'Boeing's new airliner' and 'the 797', etc, with no basis in reality.

Nauga,
retrospectively introspective

*originally posted my recollection, which was off by a few years. Doesn't seem like that long ago. :(

Imagine the ride quality sitting in one of the outboard seats farthest from the airplane centerline. You might have a window, but you're also going to get an interesting ride rolling in and out of turns :D

Nauga,
floaty
They'll probably scrap the windows and let you see what is happening outside with a webcam on whatever entertainment system they use.

Jack,
who will probably get the ride without a view

Back