[A]U2[A]

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
IMG_4843.JPG

I wish I had a better shot than this, but my phone camera wasn't ready when I first saw it. I was directly under the approach for McClellan on my bike when I heard this strange sounding jet, and it was coming straight at me. I was like, what is this, a flying wing with a bright landing light? As it drew closer, I realized it was a U2! I initially thought it was landing at KMCC but it did two passes, or touch and goes, probably more likely low passes, and headed back to Beale. The photo is it heading back to Beale.

Here's the thing about U2's... they can't just land at any airport. They need ground support, so that wingtip stabilizers can be attached, usually by the crew driving high speed chase cars following the plane as it lands, so that it can taxi. It's basically a jet powered moto glider.

After I finished my ride, from my garage I saw a flight of four CH 47's heading to KMCC, as well as a T38 high overhead. A great day for plane spotting.

KMCC is one of my favorites. Cheap fuel, good FBO, and lots of spotting, especially during fire season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KMCC is one of my favorites. Cheap fuel, good FBO, and lots of spotting, especially during fire season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, the Cal Fire DC 10 and 747 use that as their refueling/refilling base. I see them overhead a lot.

It seems everywhere I was stationed in the Army, I was always co-located with TR-1s. Got accustomed to seeing and hearing them.

Back