Week 2 of Zodiac CH650 Build

Strutwipe

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Strutwipe
Hi All,

I order to start the build, I had to build a work table worthy of the CH650. Next weekend, I start laying out the wing parts. Are there any tips you Zodiac geniuses have to offer?

I have limited space to build, but even less storage so I made the tables so they fold. I found the plan on Family Handy Man web site. They said it would only take two hours to build one table. For me, three days later, I can finally start on the wings!
upload_2020-8-31_21-27-32.png
upload_2020-8-31_21-28-15.png
upload_2020-8-31_21-28-53.png
upload_2020-8-31_21-29-46.png

Hi All,

I order to start the build, I had to build a work table worthy of the CH650. Next weekend, I start laying out the wing parts. Are there any tips you Zodiac geniuses have to offer?

I have limited space to build, but even less storage so I made the tables so they fold. I found the plan on Family Handy Man web site. They said it would only take two hours to build one table. For me, three days later, I can finally start on the wings!

Nice looking table! Good job!

They said it would only take two hours to build one table. For me, three days later, I can finally start on the wings!

Sounds like you've found your Spec to Reality factor ... sounds like mine!
Disclaimer - I've never built an airplane, but have run into numerous Spec vs Reality multipliers on my projects.

Nice work.

I'm about 30 days into a STOL CH750 and am just now learning the importance of good tables. :)

I had each kid build an EAA 100 table and it's good so far.

If you have any drawings for that folding table...... It looks perfect.

Keep posting! Nice work.

Thanks. We did, we also made one of them 8' long.

Them tables are super strong.....

Nice looking table! Good job!

Sounds like you've found your Spec to Reality factor ... sounds like mine!
Disclaimer - I've never built an airplane, but have run into numerous Spec vs Reality multipliers on my projects.
And don't forget the dollar multiplier! :eek:

Maybe its just the picture, but that table looks awfully saggy in the middle. A FLAT table is an absolute necessity. It doesn't have to be level, but it has to be flat. I built my Sonex on a very heavy, but very flat table. I would routinely check the table with a long straightedge to make sure it hadn't warped.

Maybe its just the picture, but that table looks awfully saggy in the middle. A FLAT table is an absolute necessity. It doesn't have to be level, but it has to be flat. I built my Sonex on a very heavy, but very flat table. I would routinely check the table with a long straightedge to make sure it hadn't warped.

Thanks for the feed back. You have really good eyes because using a C channel straight edge the center dips 0.010 inch!

I have the trailer hooked up to the truck so after work I can stop by the lumber yard and get some 2X6x16 to tie the two tables together (I was going to use latches) and a couple 2X4 to stiffen the center. The total wing length is 13 ft I believe. I would appreciate any input or suggestions you may have as I move forward on this build.

The picture makes it look like a whole lot more than .010". What is supporting your OSB tabletop across that 4' span between 2x4s? When I built my table, I had the entire perimeter supported by 2x6s on edge, plus 2x4s every 16 inches inside the perimeter. I then shimmed it like crazy until there was no perceivable twisting or warping. I would make sure the table is very flat before building on it. Maybe I am all wrong and misunderstanding how you built the table. Best of luck in the build!
Table.png

I spent the whole weekend working on the table. Success!

Not one gap between the table and this beautiful level. Yes, the digital read out is 0.00 degrees!

upload_2020-9-7_19-51-50.png
upload_2020-9-7_19-52-28.png

I built a 601XL about 13 years ago. Suggest starting with the tail before the wings. Good learning on how to do it and easier to fix mistakes. That was back in the days we had to drill all the holes though. With the pre-drilled skins it may not matter as much.

Fast forward a few months. To be honest, I thought I would have both wings completed by now but the B mod slowed me down a little.
upload_2021-2-20_21-25-32.pngupload_2021-2-20_21-26-36.pngupload_2021-2-20_21-27-29.pngupload_2021-2-20_21-30-3.png

Nice job with all the work you have done, benches look great. What is the B mod? Is everything put together using solid rivets?

Nice job with all the work you have done, benches look great. What is the B mod? Is everything put together using solid rivets?
The B mod is the retro structural upgrade kit to beef up the airframe and add mass balance to the ailerons for preventing flutter. Before the 2010 B mod was developed and made available there were a number of unexplained fatal midair breakups. Since then, none of the airframes fitted with the modifications have experienced unexplained structural failures.

Most of the riveting is still Avex structural blind rivets.

Last edited:
The B mod is the retro structural upgrade kit to beef up the airframe and add mass balance to the ailerons for preventing flutter. Before the 2010 B mod was developed and made available there were a number of unexplained fatal midair breakups. Since then, none of the airframes fitted with the modifications have experienced unexplained structural failures.

Most of the riveting is still Avex structural blind rivets.
Yeah, I think Peter Garrison (Flying magazine) did a piece on those; it's thought that many if not all exceeded Vne in flight. No issues since the mod, as you mention.

Back