2020 PoA site operations fundraiser - help keep PoA running (and free!)

jason

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Jason W (FlyNE)
In January of 2019, we had a stated goal of collecting around two years worth of operating expenses to run this site. We're about 18 months in now and we're pretty much right on target for that. That said, we're going to open up a fundraising period again and we humbly ask you to consider donating to help fund the operation of Pilots of America.

Some background: PoA is a nonprofit organization. Not a 501(c)3, but rather a state registered nonprofit. Nobody on the MC takes money for their work on this site. And I receive no compensation for my work on the infrastructure.

It costs us around $100-120/mo for the AWS resources necessary to keep the site running and backed up. Plus we have to pay for domain registration, software/plugin updates for necessary and requested features, etc.

We would like to, once again, raise about two years worth of operating expenses.

If you'd like to sport a fancy PoA Supporter badge like mine, we would very much appreciate a donation. Since we don't always ask for donations on an annual basis, I've changed around a couple of the levels to allow for more extended PoA Supporter status at higher donation tiers.

Our end goal is to make PoA a great resource for pilots (and aviation in general) for generations to come.

If you'd like to donate an amount more (or less) than those listed, just shoot me a PM and I'll work with you individually. You can also just "purchase" more than one of the levels.

Thanks!

Jason (on behalf of the PoA Management Council)

Click here to find the upgrades page... https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/account/upgrades

I said ‘buy’
Akin to the Get out jail free card in the game ‘Monopoly’. Is that before your cultural frame of reference?

Boone understood what I meant.

Last edited:
Just interested, will this money go towards updating to XenForo 2 since XenForo 1.x.x is no longer being supported? @jason

Just interested, will this money go towards updating to XenForo 2 since XenForo 1.x.x is no longer being supported? @jason
If he does, I'll be glad and recirpocate with help (especially if there are plugins that need replacing). I've written a half a dozen plugins for my XF 2 site and Jason was helpful in telling me how he made the leap from vB to xF which helped a lot.

You can have my AOPA dues.

Oh man is that true. This got me thinking, I get far more from POA than I ever did with AOPA - other than the magazine. Those bozo's can't even manage a pilot based forum.

Just donated for a year. I might have done 2 years if I got 1 or 2 free Ban Hammer blows to use. :D

Reactions: Ted
Just donated for a year. I might have done 2 years if I got 1 or 2 free Ban Hammer blows to use. :D

The Ban Hammer is free! Well sort of.

Might said upgrade make it easier to link to a 'states visited' map? I've tried linking from several sites, both image and url, and so far nothing is recognized by the forum. It would be nice to simply save it to a .sig file.

Done.

One comment though - a six month support is $20. A 1 year support is $50. All the options except for six months, equates to $25/month. What am I missing here? Normally, discounts are applied to long term, vs. short term support.

Might said upgrade make it easier to link to a 'states visited' map? I've tried linking from several sites, both image and url, and so far nothing is recognized by the forum. It would be nice to simply save it to a .sig file.
Not really. I'm not sure how the states visited work, but I assume its just an image you attach in your forum signature. If so, then no. Unless PoA website image proxy is messed up, it is a problem of the image hoster, not PoA

Done, just waiting for PayPal to catch up. I feel like I'm in catch up mode after missing the last one.

Is there a method for anonymous donation?

What would you consider anonymous? Pretty much every credit card transaction requires a name. As do Venmo, Cash App, etc. I’m open to proxying money if you tell me what you had in mind.

Done.

One comment though - a six month support is $20. A 1 year support is $50. All the options except for six months, equates to $25/month. What am I missing here? Normally, discounts are applied to long term, vs. short term support.
Yeah. I figured that would drive some of the OCD people crazy. Just wanted to make the low end more approachable for those that didn’t have the means.

Yeah. I figured that would drive some of the OCD people crazy. Just wanted to make the low end more approachable for those that didn’t have the means.

No worries. I got your back, man.

What would you consider anonymous? Pretty much every credit card transaction requires a name. As do Venmo, Cash App, etc. I’m open to proximg money if you tell me what you had in mind.

Cryptocurrency? Especially ZCash or Monero.

Pffft...

...I wouldn't give this band of miscreants any money!

Last edited:
I said ‘buy’
Akin to the Get out jail free card in the game ‘Monopoly’. Is that before your cultural frame of reference?

Boone understood what I meant.

I think everybody understands what you meant but it was a free shot, and who can resist a free shot.:rolleyes:

Sure. Or just mail me cash with no return address. It’d take me at least an hour to figure out how to get back into my Monero. Ha.
Where should we mail the cash?

Just sent $. I like this forum a lot. Seems to have just the right mix of amazingly smart, passionate and helpful veterans, fairly new pilots like me and of course a bunch of "nuts" who make the forum experience hilarious and entertaining. Thank you for all of your hard work and efforts.

I gave before so the level I chose isn't available to me to re-select. Will you see if that button can be made available for me?

I am more than glad to drop a few dollars or more if required in the pot as I, like most people who will read this post, really like this place.

I gave before so the level I chose isn't available to me to re-select. Will you see if that button can be made available for me?

I am more than glad to drop a few dollars or more if required in the pot as I, like most people who will read this post, really like this place.
Try it now... @Kelvin

91f7c10eda75fed244745e685e2b64a4.jpg

Maybe I'm missing something, but didn't you just negate the purpose?

Maybe Jason could set up a "pick amount, no banner" choice for those who don't want a banner??

Maybe I'm missing something, but didn't you just negate the purpose?

Maybe Jason could set up a "pick amount, no banner" choice for those who don't want a banner??
Name/email come through via paypal. I have the email associated with their PoA account, which may be different than their PayPal email address. They might not want that association to take place. (I don't bother doing so, for those that wonder...but I understand that some people have different levels of comfort.)

Back