Airline pilot reports seeing 'guy in jetpack' near aircraft while approaching LAX runway

Ironman v0.1 beta test.

Would an Ironman suit require a certificate?

Do jet packs exist that can carry enough fuel to get to 3000ft fly around a while and get back down before things go quiet?

I’ve always wanted a jet pack lol

I'm guessing he wasn't adsb compliant.

"When it comes to accuracy and detail and reliability, you’d probably rank airline pilots right up there."

I'm thinking it was probably a powered paraglider. Lots of them around, can easily reach 3000', and might well be seen as a "jetpack". And while most PPGers (just like airplane pilots) are safe and responsible, the fact that they're so easy to fly means they attract their share of yahoos.

Do jet packs exist that can carry enough fuel to get to 3000ft fly around a while and get back down before things go quiet?
There is a video I have seen on YouTube where a jetpack was flying around for a good 30 minutes. The trick in that case was the jetpack had a thin line to a helium balloon which was made of clear plastic.
Made it appear as it the whole load was carried by the jetpack when it carried a lot less.

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

There are new "jet packs" which are really fan jet propelled.

images

Maybe some college guys had access to a couple of small rockets and it just happened to be freshman 'orientation' day.

For those interested, when Jet Man was prepping for his flight over the Grand Canyon the FAA determined his jetpack, etc. did not meet the definition of an ultralight due to fuel load and I think speed. So it technically is considered an aircraft and would require an AWC if ever produced. I followed this back then as a friend was indirectly associated with the flight. Here's one FAA version, but I think there are several more.
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...len-air-200 - (2012) legal interpretation.pdf

For those interested, when Jet Man was prepping for his flight over the Grand Canyon the FAA determined his jetpack, etc. did not meet the definition of an ultralight due to fuel load and I think speed. So it technically is considered an aircraft and would require an AWC if ever produced. I followed this back then as a friend was indirectly associated with the flight. Here's one FAA version, but I think there are several more.
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/practice_areas/regulations/interpretations/data/interps/2012/allen-air-200 - (2012) legal interpretation.pdf
That's because he has wings, with engines for forward thrust, goes faster than 55 knots in level flight, has a stall speed higher than 24 knots, and has more than 5 gallons fuel. But as ultralight helicopters are allowed, so would a direct lift jet pack ofif it meets the requirements.

Ironman v0.1 beta test.

Would an Ironman suit require a certificate?
Look up the video on YouTube where Adam Savage builds an Ironman suit and has the folks from Gravity, Inc fly it with one of their jet suits. Then go down the YT rabbit hole looking at their other jet suit videos.

I'd love to try one of their jet suits, but the price is beyond the budget.

Given how much fuel backpacks carry, I'd sure want a parachute if I was going that high.

Back