Vinyl Decal Adhesive Remover

FightingJioux

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FightingJioux
Hey there,

I very delicately removed some vinyl decals on the baggage door of my airplane left from the previous owner. But now there’s a sticky adhesive residue (some of it almost looks like double sided tape) that I want to get off. Would Goo-Gone work? If not, does anyone know of an aviation paint-safe solution? Thanks!

Mineral spirits is safe for paint and is a great adhesive remover. Goo gone will probably work too.

The only thing WD40 is good for is removing adhesive labels.

The only thing WD40 is good for is removing adhesive labels.
Not quite. It's a terrible long term lubricant and very much an also-ran, second-to-last-place rust penetrant, but in addition to being an excellent adhesive remover/general solvent-type cleaner, it's also an excellent wire-dryer. If you have questionable spark plug wires or a cracked distributor cap in your car and you haven't gotten around to replacing them, WD4O will get you home in a torrential downpour. Saved my bacon a zillion times during my starvation budget years. "Water Displacement 40."

Depending on the type of adhesive used, ethanol (the wonder solvent) will often make quick work of sticky adhesive residue. Isopropanol (100%, not the drug store 70% stuff) is a distant second choice. But 95% ethanol is usually better, less harmful to paint, and evaporates rapidly leaving no residue. And is not toxic. Mineral spirits are sometimes too hydrophobic to efficiently remove many types of adhesives. I use ethanol to remove adhesive residue from extremely sticky industrial clear TZ tape labels I use in the garden and for exterior placards on my airplane. A little alcohol and a paper towel and the residue will come up nicely with a little scrubbing. If ethanol doesn't work, then mineral spirits is the next choice if compatible with your paint. Acetone will work on inert materials, but will damage many plastics and probably dissolve your paint.

Not quite. It's a terrible long term lubricant and very much an also-ran, second-to-last-place rust penetrant, but in addition to being an excellent adhesive remover/general solvent-type cleaner, it's also an excellent wire-dryer. If you have questionable spark plug wires or a cracked distributor cap in your car and you haven't gotten around to replacing them, WD4O will get you home in a torrential downpour. Saved my bacon a zillion times during my starvation budget years. "Water Displacement 40."

...and it smells great to boot!

Peerco 321 and 3M Perfect it work good for removing the label and the marks that are left over from the decal.

Use goof-off. Don't mix it up with goo-gone, goof-off does the job.

I used a commercial label remover (had the name of one of the office supply companies I think). It smelled and felt like kerosene.

Yup. Works well for removing road tar as well...

I learned from an auto detail shop about using Fume Free Easy-Off oven cleaner to remove tree sap from paint.

Back