ADHD and the FAA; A new update

Good news and bad news! Bad news is they have sent me a demand letter. They said they want "current history and clinical examination from your treating physician regarding your history of the possibility of Tourette's syndrome". The good news is, they didn't say anything about the Autism Spectrum Disorder! So it seems I don't need a psychiatric evaluation, and got away with a neuropsychological evaluation. Which then confuses me because that is exactly what the FAA says it wants for Gilles de la Tourette Syndrome (Super fancy sounding wow). I'm going to talk to my AME soon since he knows what he's doing as we saw with the psychiatric evaluation and neuropsychological evaluation.

This gets a little complicated though because I am no longer going to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Heck, I'm probably going to have my physical with a family doctor for the first time. When we tried getting a board-certified letter from CHOP in November of 2019 before my neuropsychological evaluation in February 2020, they said it would take over a year since I'm not with CHOP anymore! Ridiculous. So how am I going to go to my treating physician? I'll let you know with what my AME says.

Very glad this came back rather than ASD with a psychiatric evaluation. As I have stated always, I'll keep you all posted!

Pete

Well something came in the mail today, and nowhere did it say "Certified", opened the letter and there it was, a glorious page of Special Issuance and a medical certificate for first-class. Senior year in high school will be a lot less stressful! They only require another note from my treating physician/primary care doctor and a note from my flight instructor. Medical expires in April of 2021 and I may start flight training in September - November of 2021 at college (Given I go to an aviation college & that is if I haven't ruled out the military. I'm still looking at both options). So I asked my AME and called the FAA and they both said to just attach a letter for my reapplication of a first-class in April 2021 stating that I haven't done any flight training and I'm only getting the medical certificate so I'm prepared for flight training in college in late 2021.

Blue skies and high flying future seems to be secured for me now, that is unless I "relapse" on ADHD :p

Thank you to all posters on PoA who gave advice, positivity, the cogscreen info (which really calmed my nerves!), and hospitality. Let's help others now.

Last edited:
@MyDimeIsUp !!! Wonderful news !!!

The timeline you shared made me think of this bit ... Now that you have experienced how <begin_snark> expeditiously </end_snark> the FAA medical system is, make sure to take this into account as you time when to start your renewal process.

I would hate for all your hard work and patience go azz over teakettles because you were just a tad bit late sending the required items in.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back