Bose X died - Bose offers $300 discount on A20 - other options?

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
Well, my 14 year old Bose X died. The left ear doesn't do anything - no sound, no ANR. Worked fine for a flight on Wednesday, then didn't work yesterday. It's had a few other problems recently, as I've posted in other threads. So I was going to send it in to Bose for a flat rate repair.

But, Bose doesn't repair this headset anymore, according to their service rep. However, they will offer me a $300 trade-in for an upgrade to an A20.

Are there other options I should consider, either for repairing this headset, or for other upgrade deals? I know some of the other companies would always offer deals to switch loyalties, as it were. Anything else I need to know about?

This means that they have a new offering in the wings. No matter, trade up. I may join you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Meh.

I’ve purchased great working Bose x’s for $100-200.

I also have gotten a20’s for $400 to $500 on good days, one with full Bluetooth. New cushions and I’m golden. But new works too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a great deal, get it and run happy into the night. The A20 is light and sound quality is fantastic.

There will be 4 more posts to buy a Zulu 3 instead at $850.
Might be more like $450 if you trade in the Bose? Not sure what current trade in they might be offering for a Bose.

Brian

Love my A20s. I've had them for 10 years and wouldn't trade them for anything.

Might be more like $450 if you trade in the Bose? Not sure what current trade in they might be offering for a Bose.

Brian

Don’t think LIghtspeed is providing $400 trade-ins at the moment for broken Bose headsets. Current Zulu 3 trade-in offer is $150 for a working Bose X.

Last edited:

Thanks.

But this:

Details of our Aviation Headset Trade-In Program:
  • All trade-in headsets must be returned in good cosmetic condition and in perfect working order. All headsets will be bench tested upon return and prior to credit.
  • Any headset with frayed, split, or damaged cords will not be accepted for credit.
Rules me out (and it's a $200 credit anyway compared to Bose's offer of $300).

Sounds like the Bose offer is the way to go.

$300 off gets you an A20 for $800. You won't beat that for a decent ANR headset. If you're already a Bose fan, the answer is obvious. If you're asking for other headset recommendations, no one can tell you because it all boils down to your particular cockpit and your particular head.

Thanks for posting the Bose X trade value. That's a strong deal and one I'm tempted to consider. The pair of Bose X I have now work well, so something to consider if either breaks.

I passed on the Bose offer and sent my brides headset out to a guy in California, he fixed them. Her bose x had a broken headband at the clamping point and a the ear cup yokes were broken. they were returned in perfect working order and she is still using them today. Worst case...you can pick up Bose x for cheap on ebay, keep yours, and you'll have spare parts.

Pilot Communications USA - https://pilot-usa.clickforward.com/headsets.html

Last edited:
Lightspeed is JUNK.

You cannot switch the mike from the left to right side, requiring the rt seat person to wear their headset backwards....

does anyone have a link for the bose trade up deal? I don't see it on their website.

I googled ‘my friend’ and still couldn’t find it.

Weird if I go to bose.com I still don’t see it but boseaviation.com has it. Anyway doesn’t matter, I thought it might have been to trade in any working headset but it’s just if u have a bose x. Oh well.

Buy David Clark? They don’t treat you that way.

Take the deal. $300 for a busted headset is awesome, and you are trading for the best.

Lightspeed is JUNK.

You cannot switch the mike from the left to right side, requiring the rt seat person to wear their headset backwards....

They're also bulky, heavy and go terribly with sunglasses.

Just ordered a replacement pair. Have to be careful about ordering the right cable and option.

I’ll be getting (2) with the 6 pin & BT. I’ll be trading in (2) with 6 pin after 9 years of use. They have served well with a refurbishment mid-life. The powered sets are a real convenience so I wired the front seats for either powered 6 pin or dual plug. Still have (2) twin plug for the back seats. Will strip cushions and wind guards where possible.

Do the A20 6pin units now require a battery as well? If so, I wonder if I’m back in the battery replacement biz.

Totally prepared for Bose to announce the next new headset product within the year. That’s what happened when I bought the original pair, on installment. When the last payment was made, the A20s were announced. Just a bit ****ed. This time I’ll just enjoy the 2X$300 and forget about what comes next.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Well I don't have my new headset yet.

Just posted this on their Bose Aviation Facebook page:

"My Bose X needed repairs. Bose offered me a trade-in for an A20 for $300 off - sounded good to me. It's been 10 days since they received my old ones, but I haven't even received tracking information for the new ones yet. So I call and I'm told they're backordered with no estimate on availability! Really, Bose has _no_ A20's in stock? Their premier GA headset?

After 14 years with my old ones, and good service when I've needed it, I've been very happy with Bose. Should that be changing?

I am a working pilot and flight instructor. I wear a headset almost every day and have had to borrow one in the interim. Definitely not ideal. Come on, Bose!"

"My Bose X needed repairs. Bose offered me a trade-in for an A20 for $300 off - sounded good to me. It's been 10 days since they received my old ones, but I haven't even received tracking information for the new ones yet. So I call and I'm told they're backordered with no estimate on availability! Really, Bose has _no_ A20's in stock? Their premier GA headset?

After 14 years with my old ones, and good service when I've needed it, I've been very happy with Bose. Should that be changing?

I am a working pilot and flight instructor. I wear a headset almost every day and have had to borrow one in the interim. Definitely not ideal. Come on, Bose!"

Covid19 has disrupted many supply chains. It's causing disruption in many industries.

Just one component supplier in the value chain is disrupted, then the entire end product is disrupted.

Last edited:
I passed on the Bose offer and sent my brides headset out to a guy in California, he fixed them. Her bose x had a broken headband at the clamping point and a the ear cup yokes were broken. they were returned in perfect working order and she is still using them today. Worst case...you can pick up Bose x for cheap on ebay, keep yours, and you'll have spare parts.

Pilot Communications USA - https://pilot-usa.clickforward.com/headsets.html

Yep

Covid19 has disrupted many supply chains. It's causing disruption in many industries

Okay, but they had no problem making the offer and providing me with a mailing label to send my old headset in, without any word of "it might be a while". So now I am left without a headset and (probably) no way to get it back if I wanted to.

Did you click on the Bose trade in program details page for instructions? It says not to send your old headset in until you have received your new headset...

Trade in your Headset X in the U.S.
Once you’ve completed the steps below, we’ll issue you a credit of $300 USD back to the payment method you used for your A20 or ProFlight Series 2 Headset purchase within 4-6 weeks. Your Bose Aviation Headset X must be complete and intact, but it does not need to be operational. It may be missing ear cushions, mic muffs or other accessories and still be valid for trade-in.

Questions? Contact us at headsetxtradein@bose.com.

1. Purchase a new Bose A20 or ProFlight Series 2 from Bose.com only. Any purchase made on Amazon.com or from an authorized Bose aviation headset reseller will not be honored. Purchases made through any other sales channel, including authorized Bose headset dealers outside of the U.S., do not qualify.

2. Fill out the form below. Be sure to upload a copy of the receipt from your new headset purchase, and please be sure to review the terms and conditions before trading in your Headset X.

3. Send the following items, postage paid and in one package, to: Bose Corporation, Attn: Aviation Headset X Trade-in, MS271, 145 Pennsylvania Ave, Framingham MA 01701. Do not ship your Headset X until you’ve received your new aviation headset.

- Your Bose Aviation Headset X – please note that you will not get your Aviation Headset X back once it’s been shipped.

- A printed copy of your sales receipt from Bose.com or from a U.S.-based Bose retail store for the new headset you purchased.

Did you click on the Bose trade in program details page for instructions? It says not to send your old headset in until you have received your new headset...

This is literally the exact opposite of the process explained to me by their repair rep and then the order desk.

They sent me a pre-paid UPS label, and emailed instructions that said they would send my new one once the old one was received.

And what's more, even the address was different, sent to El Paso.

Buy a used something from PigPenRacing here on the board. When - in a few months - you get your Bose A 20 you can sell the used one on E Bay for what you paid, or keep it as a 2nd pair.

This is literally the exact opposite of the process explained to me by their repair rep and then the order desk.

They sent me a pre-paid UPS label, and emailed instructions that said they would send my new one once the old one was received.

And what's more, even the address was different, sent to El Paso.

I’m just sending an old pair in today... after receiving my new A20s a couple of weeks ago.

The note about getting your new ones first is probably a recent change as you suggest. I’ve sent 3 emails and rec’d 3 replies just trying understand how this rebate works.

They ask you to fill something out online, but that dialog no longer works on the Website. They ask for a printed copy of the bill for your A20s but neglect to explain that they really never generate a bill - there’s a shipping summary, a Web display of the billing, but no printed receipt. Etc.

There’s a bit of administrative flailing around this offer. I assume I’ll get the rebate eventually but will enjoy the A20s soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I emailed the contact on the trade-in website, mostly explaining that I hoped I wasn't caught in some bureaucratic neverland.

I received this response:
Bose said:
Hi Russ,

I am so very sorry for the incorrect information and can understand your concern.

I have checked the order and we do have an A20 allocated to your order and it is due to ship today/tomorrow. I also have upgraded your shipping to UPS 1 day.

Thank you,

So apparently they weren't backordered at all? I appreciate their response and hopefully will have my headset within the next two days!

Back