Starduster Too W&B question

The original question was essentially “where’s the firewall web?” Depending upon what the firewall looks like, it could be 3 or 4 inches from the forward most point of the firewall to the aft most point. You suggested referencing something that no only could move at least that much in some airplanes, but also has a 12-inch range from front to back of the seat itself. The only thing you’re going to be able to determine is that the firewall web is somewhere in that 4-inch range from the front of the firewall to the back.

so like you say, he’d have to pick something else. Since he doesn’t have the drawings for the airplane, he probably has nothing that doesn’t have the same issue with knowing exactly where it is.

That could be. All I can tell you is I’ve used this method several times and I’ve never had trouble doing it. My calculated numbers always have matched when polling others.

As I said in one of my earlier posts, the oddest one I’ve done has a datum line 14” in front of the furthest forward portion of the airplane. That one was a bit tricky to figure out since it didn’t make a ton of sense but knowing the airplane type history I had some suspicions. Later, when discussing weight and balance with a fellow owner (there are only 3 flying worldwide) the subject came up. Working backward worked just fine.

Working backward worked just fine.
I think the point you keep missing is that In order to work backwards one must first have an accurate location of what point is being worked backwards from. But I don't have that established. Sure, once I know the exact location of the firewall then I could feasibly use anything for the datum reference and adjust the formulas according. That part would be easy.

I think the point you keep missing is that In order to work backwards one must first have an accurate location of what point is being worked backwards from. But I don't have that established. Sure, once I know the exact location of the firewall then I could feasibly use anything for the datum reference and adjust the formulas according. That part would be easy.

Not at all. You have some information that in my opinion may be an acceptable starting point. I didn’t have terrific data to work off of either on any of the projects I’ve had to use this method on. If I had good data I wouldn’t have needed to do this...

If it were me I’d do the best I could to figure things out then reach out to some folks with Stardusters to compare notes once some acquaintances have been made. I’d bet that you’ll find that your numbers are close enough to be acceptable, if not spot on. If they’re not, a minor recalculation shouldn’t be a big deal.

Well,

I went back down to revisit the Starduster today, we leveled up the plane again and remeasured everything. We found that we didn’t make any significant mistakes last Thursday. Everything was within ½” of the dimensions we took then (we measured 7” (maybe just a touch over) to the main gear today instead of 7.5”…that was the only difference) and all the weights today were within a couple of pounds (certified scales). Out of curiosity, I measured the crankshaft flange hub distance in front of the firewall…it’s 40” forward. So I came home and did some calcs to see how much weight it would take on the nose to keep it in the envelope. It ain’t pretty. 50# for me solo (at 200#) and min fuel. 80# for me & Gerri (at 330# total) and min fuel. Not viable.

Needless to say, I won’t be bringing a Starduster home anytime soon. The DAR is involved and has other ideas...but the bottom line is they need to fix it before I will take possession of it. And if it's not fixable...well...

…live and learn…and keep shopping...

Seems strange that it would be that tail heavy... but as you said it has an O-320 where most Toos have an O-360. And a lot of Stardusters have r-e-a-l-l-y long engine mounts. But ask Dave Baxter over on the Biplane forum, he's the guru of all things Starduster and likely knows of your particular plane and maybe even its history.

Thanks @Dana but numbers don't lie. I'm out unless someone works a miracle.

also, like you say, there are long mounts and short ones. This one has the short one...with an 0-320...double whammy.

Funny thing is...When I Googled "web of the firewall" and/or "define web of the firewall". I got all kinds of ads for internet security companies!

Even when I qualified it with "aviation, define web of the firewall".
Putting a + in front of aviation might help (+aviation)

edit: also put a negative in front of certain words, like -network -cyber etc.

Back