Partial glass upgrade-advice please

imwithtuxedo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
J
I'm getting ready to start my IFR training and I'd like to upgrade my panel prior to starting but looking for cost vs benefit analysis on the available units.

Goals: (1) orient myself to looking at glass instruments for future planes; (2) get GPSS steering to reduce single pilot workload; (3) no need to overhaul my DG and AI which are starting to show their age; (4) less reliance on vacuum pump for critical instruments (must keep vac pump for autopilot); (5) electronic OAT probe.

Installed equipment:

Avidyne 440

Narco MK 12D TSO Nav/Comm

Garmin GI-106A VOR/LOC & glidescope CDI indicator

Narco ID-824 VOR/LOC Indicator

Piper Autocontrol III autopilot

STEC-System 60 altitude hold/vertical speed/glide scope

This isn't my forever plane, but I'm going to keep her for awhile longer. I've gone back and forth between an Aspen, couple of G5's or GI-275's, and waiting on the AV-30 but I'm looking for some advice before I delve into getting quotes from shops. I've also got a great IA/A&P that lets me assist with owner installs and sign offs so the AV-30 is appealing. Are the other units capable of this kind of install? Where's my best bang for my buck?

I’m in almost the same boat except my navigator is non-WAAS and only does LNAV.

If you’re ok keeping the attitude gyro which it looks like you are, maybe throw the Dynon HDX into the mix. It seems easier to add functionality over time (ie ADSB in, radios...)

A pair of G5s would be an affordable way to get electronic AI, performance tapes and and HSI. I don't know about GPSS with your attitude-based AP. I believe your AP requires that you retain your AI and vacuum system in order to operate. The G5s and GAD-29B work well with many rate-based APs, including STEC-20/30 series. If you have to replace the AP for GPSS, you might as well put in the Garmin GFC-500, but that's a lot of $$$. You can always go more expensive for the glass display, but the G5s are pretty nice. With the GMU-11 feeding your G5s magnetic heading information from an interference-free spot, you don't have to worry about gyro precession or crazy compass correction factors either. When you put in the G5s, you can sell your GI-106A, as it will no longer be needed. That might help recover some cost.

I've got a GNS-430W, dual G5s, and and STEC-20 AP and they work well together along with my NGT-9000 transponder. The GAD-29B GPSS emulation is excellent. I'm saving my GI-106A for a NAVCOM2 upgrade in the future.

I hear the secondary market for Sandia Quattro 340A's are going pretty cheap these days.:confused:

In all seriousness, having an end game in mind is helpful to build to final answer incrementally. Example if you are going Garmin for G500TXi or G3X, then a G5 makes sense as that's your future back-up instrument.

Last edited:
Backups are still prudent...hence my choice of dual G5s where the HSI can revert to an attitude indicator if necessary and I maintain my KX-155 with a separate CDI indicator for backup com and nav. The G5s are driven by a GNS-530W. My GPSMAP 396 provides backup GPS (separate GPS antenna) and Sirius XM weather as well as being a backup source for the autopilot (which the KX 155 will also permit). iPad mini receives ADS-B traffic along with the GNS-530 and also gets Sirius XM weather from a Sirius SXAR-1 receiver. The newly installed JPI EDM 830 has become my primary engine monitor BUT the analog gauges are the backup now. A Garmin InReach Mini PLUS a SPOT device provide tracking and a PLB in the "go bag" provide triple redundancy for off airport landing notification. A Sporty's hand-held (SP-400) provides backup com/ILS/VOR nav in case of aircraft main bus failure. Last, but not least, is that I always request (and am rarely denied) VFR flight following if I am not on an instrument flight plan. One thing I do NOT have (yet) is a pair of suspenders to backup my Philmont Scout Ranch belt!!

(4) less reliance on vacuum pump for critical instruments (must keep vac pump for autopilot)
Piper Autocontrol III autopilot

The GI275 has attitude output that the Century IIB can consume, thereby eliminating the vacuum pump. This attitude output compatibility was added a month or two ago. The G5 does not have this capability and the AV30 won't have it for some time, if ever.

Also, because the GI-275 airspeed/altitude is considered primary it can be used for CPL training as a TAA. The G5 tapes are considered secondary so they cannot be used as a TAA.

Back