Oxygen Concentrators - Inogen One vs Inogen One Aviator

Frank Kunnumpurath

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
OldEagle
I now have a plane that can fly in teens and in need of oxygen. I can get a used Inogen One G3 concentrator from a COPD patient who have flown with this unit in commercial flight. I know aviator units are certified to use in GA planes at teens. Looking at the pictures of certified and non-certified units, they look identical. Not sure any one tried non-certified units. I know non-certified units are rated only up to 10,000 ft. Keeping in mind that we don't need o2 upto 12500ft and people using medical units need it even at sea level and these non certified units give them enough o2 upto 10000 ft. Wouldn't this then give us enough o2 in teens?

O2 at sea level 20.9%;
at 10,000 ft 14.3%;
at 18,000 ft 10.4%

COPD patients need o2 concentrators near sea level and these units can keep up their o2 demand upto 10,000 feet.

Not a clue, but, to pick a nit...
O2 at sea level 20.9%;
at 10,000 ft 14.3%;
at 18,000 ft 10.4%
O2 at sea level 20.9%;
at 10,000 ft 20.9%;
at 18,000 ft 20.9%

Partial pressure will change, but not relative concentration.
Bad assumptions lead to bad results.

Last edited:
Looking at the pictures of certified and non-certified units, they look identical.

I haven't tried the non-certified unit at altitude. I use one of the certified ones. What Inogen told me is that the certified unit is different: more expensive adsorbent in the columns, and different software. I don't know how to verify that.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who had tried the medical unit at 17,500... be good if they had a O2 purity monitor as well. The design point is around 95% oxygen.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back