Guess What I Did Today

A good day for sure SkyChaser. Congrats! Nice to see some OBX love in northern Iowa.

Nice pics you've got!

See, the curmudgeon in me says "NO selfies on solo, dangnabbit!" But, then I think a bit and say such a thing is second nature to so many, probably not a big deal. I won't make that a rule of mine. Still, it is nice that the only picture I have of my own solo is in my mind, and thankfully those brain cells have not been killed yet, as I can still picture that moment as I type. I did not sing, but I did yell on that first take off. And my aviator father (see my avatar) asked me if I did just that when I got home. One of our better moments of bonding <sniff>.

.... I did not sing, but I did yell on that first take off.....
I did some yelling and screaming on my first solo, but it may or may not have been during the takeoff....

See, the curmudgeon in me says "NO selfies on solo, dangnabbit!" But, then I think a bit and say such a thing is second nature to so many, probably not a big deal. I won't make that a rule of mine. Still, it is nice that the only picture I have of my own solo is in my mind, and thankfully those brain cells have not been killed yet, as I can still picture that moment as I type. I did not sing, but I did yell on that first take off. And my aviator father (see my avatar) asked me if I did just that when I got home. One of our better moments of bonding <sniff>.

If it makes you feel better, I only took one picture in the air, and I didn't even watch to see what I took a picture of until I was done. :)

Congrats from another Outer Banks fan (the actual place, not the Netflix show).

I love going there! Pretty much all my t-shirts are OBX ones, from all the different years my family has gone. :)

I love going there! Pretty much all my t-shirts are OBX ones, from all the different years my family has gone. :)
Re/ obx...there's another thread going now about the place. It's just about my wife and my favorite place on earth so far. Where did/do you hang out when you visited?

AKA the "Graveyard of the Atlantic." I enjoyed visiting the area years ago to go wreck diving. The ocean floor there is littered with wrecks and corresponding history. I hope I can get back into diving after I retire. I'd love to dive there again sometime soon. (Not sure it'd be good to be doing decompression dives again, though, at my age.)

Re/ obx...there's another thread going now about the place. It's just about my wife and my favorite place on earth so far. Where did/do you hang out when you visited?

I've stayed in Corolla, Nags Head, and Hatteras. All of them were awesome in their own ways. :) My family usually stays in a house on the ocean, and then we spend most of our time on the beach. This last time (earlier in May), we were in Hatteras - lots of beach time, walks down to watch the ferry arrive and depart, some t-shirt shopping, of course, and lots of good food made in the beach house kitchen. Prior to that, my favorite things we've done include the wild horse tour (in a Hummer!), climbing lighthouses, going to Jockey's Ridge and rolling down the dune, watching the fighter jets fly over, going to the Wright Brothers Memorial, and watching the planes land at the airport there. It's a pretty sweet place!

AKA the "Graveyard of the Atlantic." I enjoyed visiting the area years ago to go wreck diving. The ocean floor there is littered with wrecks and corresponding history. I hope I can get back into diving after I retire. I'd love to dive there again sometime soon. (Not sure it'd be good to be doing decompression dives again, though, at my age.)

We walked past the Graveyard museum almost every day when we were there in May. I wanted to go in, but it was closed. I've read about it a bit, though, and there is definitely a lot of cool history there! The house we stayed at actually had a shipwreck on the beach right by the beachwalk. It was cool to see how the tides and the storm waves really exposed some of the ship timbers. Those were some big ships! :)

Back