Marvel Mystery Oil

use as directed and allocate time to clean your airplane belly. its an upper cylinder lubricant 4W oil. Do not use more than recommended as to much will lower octane. it was made for leaded fuels

Determination...runs fine with MMO but starts missing W/O the MMO? Let's start the discussion thread.
:dunno: You have the timing advanced too far and the oil in the fuel retards the spark enough that the ignition lead doesn't break down anymore?

MMO was invented in 1923 by Mr. Marvel who also designed the Marvel carburetor. MMO was designed to prevent clogging of the Marvel carb's jets. Back in the 1920's with gasoline, oil, standards, specifications, handling, and technology as it was, perhaps MMO had a place in the gas tank, or perhaps Mr. Marvel was simply a marketing genius.

I am an A & P and couldn't narrow down the cause of the missing. The intake valves were relatively clean upon inspection (Decided to re-pack the manifolds), the plugs had no lead deposits and were otherwise clean. The only other cause might have been an exhaust valve starting to stick?

Fuel, air and spark are the requirements. I don’t see how it helps to adulterate the fuel.

Maybe a problem with mags or sparkplug wires?

An engine monitor could help a lot. It could identify a problem with a mag or a specific plug. It could also identify a problem cylinder, if a borescope inspection isn’t enough to identify a bad valve.

Fuel, air and spark are the requirements. I don’t see how it helps to adulterate the fuel.

Maybe a problem with mags or sparkplug wires?

An engine monitor could help a lot. It could identify a problem with a mag or a specific plug. It could also identify a problem cylinder, if a borescope inspection isn’t enough to identify a bad valve.

With MMO, who needs to pay all that money for such complicated technology to know what might be going on?

Tim (could not resist)

I have a bottle of snake oil from the 1800's .... it was marketed by a snake oil salesmen who went town to town telling people all the ailments it would cure. Grandfather bought it , handed it down to my father who lived in good health to 95 years of age , I inherited it from my father and every week I put a tiny drop on my forehead , I am 69 and never been sick.

I still have some left and I sell it by the ounce for $1000 , I use the proceeds to buy helicopter gas and I religiously put a drop of Marvel Mystery oil in the fuel and a drop in the engine oil and have never had an engine failure.

Wanna buy some ??

My above claims are no different than folks who say they use magical oil in their machines and have "good results"

Back in the 1980's there were a lot of automobile magical oil additives that had Teflons and other super friction additives and a quart cost $50 .... they had advertising on TV where they conditioned an engine with the magic oil and then drained the crankcase and ran that engine for hours without harming anything. Pretty impressive sales tactic , sold like crazy. Still does,

That same company went town to town and held "seminars" for mechanics , farmers , and garages ... they played the same video that was used on TV and then midway through the presentation the "oil salesman" told us he had drained the oil out of his Cadillac Seville and driven 1 hour to our town , he invited us to take a break outside where he opened his car hood , pulled the dipstick and showed everybody there was not a drop of oil in his engine.

Back inside he continued his magic oil treatment sales talk and I am sure he would have sold 100 quarts which would amount to $5000 for a couple hours driving his Cadillac and an hour speaking . Pretty good revenue in my opinion. But he made a mistake. He asked if anyone had any questions.

I raised my hand and asked him how his hydraulic valve lifters in his Cadillac could function without oil in the engine.

I also asked him why his Cadillac dipstick was 4" shorter than the original factory equipment

Boy was he angry . I ruined his evening.

1800's Snake oil salesmen in covered wagons and modern magic oil salesmen in Cadillacs have much in common.

Last edited:
Some two stroke applications use the oil mixed at 100:1 and that is enough oil to protect the engine main & rod bearings as well as the cylinder walls and prevent piston scuffing. I don't find it unreasonable to suspect that MMO could help prevent valve sticking in four stroke engines.

YMMV ... but I doubt it!

MMO has been around since what, 1923?

In all those years, have they taken the time to generate any published, reproducible studies to support any of their claims?

Is it odd that none of the engine manufacturers, in any category, in the last 100 years, wouldn't want to dramatically reduce their warranty costs and engage with MMO to demonstrate an advantage over their competitors?

Or maybe oil manufacturers might want to improve their product performance and sell more oil by showing that by adding mineral spirits, stoddard solvent, wintergreen oil, and red dye to their product they could maybe not have to spend all that research $$ on expensive chemical packages?

But hey, MMO has printed some nice testimonials. Plausible deniability and all on the benefits.

I spent years in engineering for a major auto manufacturer. We paid big bonuses, gave raises, and promoted folks who could improve product performance and reduce cost while gaining sales.

Funny that no one ever was able to use MMO to advance their careers there.

I read that there have been many variations of MMO over the years. The latest one seems to be a solvent that might free up a sticky valve. I put some in my old car (see pix) and got rid of tappet noise in 50 miles.

My Dad had a 59 Olsmobile that the tappets would start to rattle on . His cure was a quart of ATF , quieted them right down.

Reactions: LSK
MMO...if it makes you feel good to use it...use it !:)

That ‘bout sums it up.

Nearly 100 years with no data supported manufacturer claims, but likely does no harm.

It’s definitely happy juice for some folks. ;)

The best engine guys I know recommend anyone starting to see signs of valve "morning sickness" to add MMO to their oil. And why not? It's a pretty good solvent. I have some on my shelf all the time. I also have 5 gallons of Stoddard solvent and light weight penetrating oils. Sometimes a combo makes sense. Old pilots from the WWII era used MMO in newly rebuilt radials that were known for valve sticking. If you wonder where the following came from? That's a good place to look. Flight training with an old 40,000 hour pilot is where I got acquainted with it.

I used to add it to my 100LL bulk tank at every fill. I don't do that anymore but I know guys who do. I also know guys who add it to oil and fly for a while ahead of oil changes. I know guys who use Aeroshell 15-50 and others that won't touch it. I know guys who use Camguard and guys who don't. Avblend, TCP... To each their own.

As someone else once asked, is it the Marvel or the Mystery that gets you guys so excited?

The best engine guys I know recommend anyone starting to see signs of valve "morning sickness" to add MMO to their oil. And why not? It's a pretty good solvent. I have some on my shelf all the time. I also have 5 gallons of Stoddard solvent and light weight penetrating oils. Sometimes a combo makes sense. Old pilots from the WWII era used MMO in newly rebuilt radials that were known for valve sticking. If you wonder where the following came from? That's a good place to look. Flight training with an old 40,000 hour pilot is where I got acquainted with it.

I used to add it to my 100LL bulk tank at every fill. I don't do that anymore but I know guys who do. I also know guys who add it to oil and fly for a while ahead of oil changes. I know guys who use Aeroshell 15-50 and others that won't touch it. I know guys who use Camguard and guys who don't. Avblend, TCP... To each their own.
Opinions without documentation (testing) are, unfortunately, just that no matter how much experience one has. Nearly all the very experienced medical doctors in the world once claimed stress was the cause of ulcers. Can you say H Pylori?

Reading through this was pretty entertaining........ MMO reminds me of many other things that I use that majority don't and won't and that’s fine with me, I say " you do you"

Funny thing about life is "we don't know what we don't know" and "we rarely get second chances"

I was raised by old farmers and ranchers, we use the sign, (Moon's Astrological Place in the Zodiac), we just called it the sign, for things like planting, weaning calves, mowing green briars, and medical procedures........my family has been doing this for over 100 years.......some of these things I have tried both ways and know it works, others I don't risk trying it.........I had a back surgery to remove some rods and screws and you can bet I scheduled it by the sign, when I woke up the doc came in and said surgery went great, it was a non-event, you didn't even hardly bleed.......renowned spine surgeon in Ft. Worth for over 20 years and that’s what he noticed....I just grinned and never said a word -

I’ve lost two good friends to "routine" heart surgery’s........I often wonder if the outcome would have been different if they would have scheduled by the sign......for you scientific folks there has been some studies, you can find it by searching the net, how the moon phase can affect people having heart surgery....

Most people nowadays never heard of the sign and wouldn't believe in it if they did.

DMSO - bet most of you reading this never heard of it......been doctoring horses with it for inflammation my whole life and just started using it on myself and putting some in my orange juice a few years ago.......I've see it work a couple of wonders on people.......fda only approves it for use on bladder and urinary tract infections.......it's not talked about much because it’s a natural product from trees, can't be patented, there no money in it for big pharma……tons of personal testimony on the net and youtube of DMSO success stories……not likely to read about in a medical journal though

I’ve seen some instances and heard a few stories where in some engines the MMO was a big help to prevent sticking valves and keeping plugs clean……engines like the o-300, I fly behind one burning a quart about every 2.5 hours but you would never know it by looking at the plugs or the exhaust tips……it burns clean – I have no doubt that some of the more modern engines would see no benefit form a product similar to MMO, hydrotex makes something similar called Essential Lube that works wonders on cleaning up about anything it comes in contact with…….I put some in a suburban and where it had a little oil leak in about 2 weeks it stripped the undercarriage coating off the frame, shiny clean metal……that stuff will clean an engine or hydraulic system like there’s no tomorrow…..

Last one……stiction eliminating products……gained most of its fame 2003-2007 when Ford trucks was using the 6.0…….pretty well known in Ford truck circles that you may have injector problems without it and not when using it……on trucks forums such as this quite a bit of testimonials from people whom the dealership said they needed new injectors and they tried a stiction product and their issues resolved…….I have shared that with a few people like some on this forum and those folks called it snake oil and went to the dealership for new injectors………..

MMO – you do you

Kind of long but I had some spare time - ha

<SNIP>

DMSO - bet most of you reading this never heard of it......been doctoring horses with it for inflammation my whole life and just started using it on myself and putting some in my orange juice a few years ago.......I've see it work a couple of wonders on people.......fda only approves it for use on bladder and urinary tract infections.......it's not talked about much because it’s a natural product from trees, can't be patented, there no money in it for big pharma……tons of personal testimony on the net and youtube of DMSO success stories……not likely to read about in a medical journal though

<SNIP>
That must taste yummy, in your orange juice. Which tree make dimethyl sulfoxide? It's made by oxidation of dimethyl sulfide.

DMSO is pretty well known. It’s an industrial solvent, produced on a massive scale. It is formed naturally in small amounts, and the alternative medicine sites talk that up, but what you’re buying almost certainly was manufactured in a factory in Texas or China.

It’s an incredible solvent, but nasty to work with. Those who know it best go to great lengths to not get it on their skin.

DMSO is pretty well known. It’s an industrial solvent, produced on a massive scale. It is formed naturally in small amounts, and the alternative medicine sites talk that up, but what you’re buying almost certainly was manufactured in a factory in Texas or China.

It’s an incredible solvent, but nasty to work with. Those who know it best go to great lengths to not get it on their skin.
Depends on what you mean by "nasty". It's very hard to evaporate, and they one time I got a little on my hand, I could taste it. It's not very toxic compared to most solvents, but it dissolves most things well.

Well, I learned something today.

https://www.amazinghealthyformulas.com/dmso

“DMSO is useful as a pain reliever and also in burns, acne, arthritis, mental retardation, strokes, amyloidosis, head injury, scleroderma, it soothes toothaches, eases headaches, hemorroids, muscle strains, it prevents paralysis from spinal-chord injuries and softens scar tissues. In fact, it is useful in well over 300 ailments and is safe to use...

...potential clinical applications in the treatment of a number of conditions such as depression, fibromyalgia, arthritis, interstitial cystitis, athletic injuries, congestive heart failure, diabetes, cancer, and AIDS...

...Given soon after a stroke, DMSO can dissolve the clot that causes the stroke, restoring circulation and avoiding paralysis...

...DMSO is an effective pain killer, blocking nerve conduction fibers that produce pain. It reduces inflammation and swelling by reducing inflammatory chemicals. It improves blood supply to an area of injury by dilating blood vessels and increasing delivery of oxygen and by reducing blood platelet stickiness. It stimulates healing, which is a key to its usefulness in any condition. It is among the most potent free radical scavengers known to man, if not the most potent one...

...DMSO promotes the excretion of urine and functions as a muscle relaxant. It boosts the immune system, increasing the production of white cells and macrophages that destroy foreign material and pathogens in the body. It also has anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties. DMSO also increases the permeability of cell membranes, allowing a flushing of toxins from the cell.

DMSO has radioprotective properties against lethal and mutagenic effects of X-rays in cells, cellular systems and whole animals. It also has cryoprotective properties, meaning that it is capable of protecting against injury due to freezing...

...DMSO aids in heavy metal detoxification. Sulfur binds with toxic heavy metals (mercury, lead, aluminum, cadmium, arsenic, nickel) and eliminates them via urination, defecation and sweating.”

And much, much more.

DMSO is a dermal penetrant. Spread enough on your skin and your breath will smell like garlic. It can be used to deliver non-water soluble medications into the body. Dissolve in DMSO and smear on skin.

It is an antioxidant and represses inflammation, hence its use on arthritic joints in humans and equines.

There is preliminary/mixed results using for treatment of alzheimer's.

Since it is a dermal penetrant, it is important to use a medical or research/reagent grade of DMSO. Industrial grade DMSO may contain harmful contaminants which will be carried into the body.

The difference between DMSO and MMO is, DMSO has actually been investigated in a scientific way.

Depends on what you mean by "nasty". It's very hard to evaporate, and they one time I got a little on my hand, I could taste it. It's not very toxic compared to most solvents, but it dissolves most things well.

That's actually part of the risk. It tends to take anything present on your skin right through your skin, bypassing one of the body's primary defense mechanisms. And there are a lot of sketchy, unregulated sources both advertising and selling it, so you you never know how how contaminated the stuff you are buying really is.

That's actually part of the risk. It tends to take anything present on your skin right through your skin, bypassing one of the body's primary defense mechanisms. And there are a lot of sketchy, unregulated sources both advertising and selling it, so you you never know how how contaminated the stuff you are buying really is.
That's true. I get mine via Millipore Sigma, so it should be good, not that I want it on me.

Well, I learned something today.

https://www.amazinghealthyformulas.com/dmso

“DMSO is useful as a pain reliever and also in burns, acne, arthritis, mental retardation, strokes, amyloidosis, head injury, scleroderma, it soothes toothaches, eases headaches, hemorroids, muscle strains, it prevents paralysis from spinal-chord injuries and softens scar tissues. In fact, it is useful in well over 300 ailments and is safe to use...

...potential clinical applications in the treatment of a number of conditions such as depression, fibromyalgia, arthritis, interstitial cystitis, athletic injuries, congestive heart failure, diabetes, cancer, and AIDS...

...Given soon after a stroke, DMSO can dissolve the clot that causes the stroke, restoring circulation and avoiding paralysis...

...DMSO is an effective pain killer, blocking nerve conduction fibers that produce pain. It reduces inflammation and swelling by reducing inflammatory chemicals. It improves blood supply to an area of injury by dilating blood vessels and increasing delivery of oxygen and by reducing blood platelet stickiness. It stimulates healing, which is a key to its usefulness in any condition. It is among the most potent free radical scavengers known to man, if not the most potent one...

...DMSO promotes the excretion of urine and functions as a muscle relaxant. It boosts the immune system, increasing the production of white cells and macrophages that destroy foreign material and pathogens in the body. It also has anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties. DMSO also increases the permeability of cell membranes, allowing a flushing of toxins from the cell.

DMSO has radioprotective properties against lethal and mutagenic effects of X-rays in cells, cellular systems and whole animals. It also has cryoprotective properties, meaning that it is capable of protecting against injury due to freezing...

...DMSO aids in heavy metal detoxification. Sulfur binds with toxic heavy metals (mercury, lead, aluminum, cadmium, arsenic, nickel) and eliminates them via urination, defecation and sweating.”

And much, much more.

If I were agnostic about DMSO, this would be enough to convince me it's worthless or worse.

If I were agnostic about DMSO, this would be enough to convince me it's worthless or worse.
Yep, any product that claims to cure everything in the world is almost certainly just fake snake oil. After reading the Wikipedia article, it seems that it is a relatively non-toxic chemical (but so is ethanol and it kills plenty), but its uses in actual alternative medicine are limited. A few specific treatments may be effective, but it is a far stretch to say that its cryoprotective properties are any use to a living human. It's cryoprotective effects are limited to cell cultures and laboratory tests, not a living person. Same deal for many of the other claims - a small positive effect in a specific laboratory instance is extrapolated to fixing a wide range of medical issues in a living creature. This is patently not true and can result in harmful or fatal effects. Just look at what happened when a certain person (and several other religious wackos over the years) told people that drinking bleach could cure Covid or Autism. People swallowed bleach or fed it to their children and death and serious injury resulted.

Now "real" snake oil is wonderful and I rub it all over my body every morning. So far it has prevented me from growing a third arm, kept my skin from turning green, allows me to breathe air, and keeps my tongue a perfect shade of pink.

I can get you some for only $19.99/month with $34 S&H. Just PM me.

Last edited:
Yep, any product that claims to cure everything in the world is almost certainly just fake snake oil.

It’s funny how the staggering quantity of effects of these cure-alls are nearly always positive, isn’t it?

FWIW, my Dad used to swear by DMSO. A veterinarian friend of his would send it to him. He used it on aching knees, IIRC, and said it gave him relief. YMMV.

Not as much risk if you put it in orange juice or apple juice and drink it - lol

FWIW, my Dad used to swear by DMSO. A veterinarian friend of his would send it to him. He used it on aching knees, IIRC, and said it gave him relief. YMMV.

Yep, most people that use it know the benefits and those that prefer not to try it, thats their privelige as well. My wife knows if I'm having a stroke to hit me with dmso while the ambulance in enroute - kind of reminds me of using bacon grease as a topical antibacterial oinment - works better than neosporin, imo, and you get to smell like bacon and dogs will love even mean people when they have bacon grease under their band aids- lol

molasses - not the kind that comes in a can form the store, but the kind that comes from folks up in Indiana and KY where they strip the fodder and cook the water out - many people claim it will not only prevent but also dissolve blood clots - I known more than one porson that had surgery and died from blood clots......who knows if molasses would have saved them, but, I can tell you that several years ago I went through two back surgeries about 18 montsh apart.......and I was eating molasses before, while in the hospital, and for about two weeks after....... I'm sure someone could figure out how those natural plant sugars impact our blood or vein/artery size etc

Not much discussion on the moon phases.......I know, it's not airplanes, but its as controversial as MMO - ha

Anyone intersted in how lunar phase affects outcome of aortic surgery .....heres a good place to start.....if this info saves one persons life somewhere down the road if was worth the time to share

https://academic.oup.com/icvts/article/17/5/818/705433

Back