Why no monthly mosquito/tick repellents for humans?

Pi1otguy

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Fox McCloud
Once a month I apply a flea treatment to my dogs. It kills or repels fleas, ticks, and mosquitos. Some are transdermal and some are oral. Both methods seem to work well.

So why isn't there something similar for humans? I'd like to rub on an oil that kills mosquitos that touch me all month long. If dogs can tolerate pesticides, then surly we can too.

My guess: FDA.
I have asked the same question for years while I was making money selling the stuff for animals.

The topicals?....dunno.
...but the oral systemics kill after the insect ingests blood..don’t believe I want that sort of toxicity in my blood long term

Just a guess, but our skin is very different than a cat or dogs, since we sweat. The dosing required to compensate for that could well be intolerable.

The topicals?....dunno.
...but the oral systemics kill after the insect ingests blood..don’t believe I want that sort of toxicity in my blood long term
Is that really much different? Just different methods to get it in.

Once a month I apply a flea treatment to my dogs. It kills or repels fleas, ticks, and mosquitos. Some are transdermal and some are oral. Both methods seem to work well.

So why isn't there something similar for humans? I'd like to rub on an oil that kills mosquitos that touch me all month long. If dogs can tolerate pesticides, then surly we can too.

perhaps the levels of exposure are different.... how many city folks need to worry about ticks?

Is that really much different? Just different methods to get it in.
Yeah, but do you really want a lethal level of insecticide In your blood, no matter how it gets there? Don’t think I do.

Do you really want to have them biting you long enough for the toxins in your blood to be the reason they stop?

Do you really want to have them biting you long enough for the toxins in your blood to be the reason they stop?
Thought the small amounts coming out of the skin as supposed to repel them? They advertise as repelling and killing pest.

The one I’m familiar with, Nexgard, does not repel fleas and ticks but kills fleas before they can reproduce and kills ticks, both after they bite.

Advantix II claims to kill on contact without requiring a bite. Given how many mosquito bites I keep getting I'd love to be toxic to them a month at a time. Heck I'd settle for toxic blood. I'd do an evil super villain laugh too.

If it's a level of toxicity I wouldn't want in my own blood, it's a level of toxicity I don't want in my dog's blood. My dog is way more worthy of kindness than I am.

I would think it's because they act on the central nervous system.

If it's a level of toxicity I wouldn't want in my own blood, it's a level of toxicity I don't want in my dog's blood. My dog is way more worthy of kindness than I am.
It is, which is exactly why I don't give them to my dog.

If dogs can tolerate pesticides, then surly we can too.
Keep in mind the relative longevity, canine vs human.
Not saying the insect control drugs you are thinking of are cancerous, but there is the suggestion that some chemicals take decades to result in cancer.

I didn't do it myself, but some guys actually did wear dog tick and flea collars in the field in cold war Germany. They seemed to do okay. But then again they weren't mental brainiacs to start with.

Back