Covid Vaccine Poll - How Long Will You Wait?

When WIll You And Your Family Get Vaccinated?

• Sign Me Up!!! (First 3 Months)

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • Ensure No Zombie Apocalypse (3 months ...6 months)

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Need Way More Guinea Pigs (6 months ... 12 months)

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • Eventually But Want To Wait A Full Year (12 months or longer)

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Never (Any reason)

Votes: 15 22.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
Lets say hypothetically the first government approved Covid vaccine is released on January 1st 2021. Lets also say you have immediate access to the vaccine so no arguments about having to wait or supply issues. Its your decision. When would you and your family take the vaccine?

Well, I currently don't get a flu shot, because when I was required to, it made me flu-like for five days plus or minus, and I could not fly (I was paid to fly). But, I live a relatively healthy life, and take heavy doses of Vitamin C during flu season (actually, Vitamin C and D3 now, always, during perpetual 'Rona season).

I tested negative after a fairly intimate three days with a pair of positive test 'Rona victims <Bow-chickee-bow!> ;)

So, I'm gonna ride the vaccine bench for a bit, thank you.

I also don't buy first model year vehicles, so at least I am habitual. :rolleyes:

I’ll pass. But I’m eager for it to be out just so others can be more at ease.

Lets say hypothetically the first government approved Covid vaccine is released on January 1st 2021. Lets also say you have immediate access to the vaccine so no arguments about having to wait or supply issues. Its your decision. When would you and your family take the vaccine?
I do not get the flu shot but plan on getting a covid vaccination as soon as it is available. Basically pretty healthy as far as being vulnerable to the covid bug but I am 69 and my business puts me in contact with several people across 4 or 5 states. As a state Nebraska has not had a tough time but the counties that have meat packing plants have been hit hard. At one time five counties in Nebraska were in the top 25 counties nationwide for percentage of the population with covid positive tests.

I am a big fan of vaccines—just got my Shingrix, Super Flu, and Pneumonia shots last week. I’m getting my TDaP booster in a couple of months when I get the second Shingrix shot. I’m not getting any COVID vaccine unless it is approved by another country first or we get an FDA director we can trust.

I get the flu shot and I would get a Covid shot although I doubt I will be among the first to be offered it. I've gotten all kinds of immunizations, even ones people are leery of, like the new shingles shot, and live typhoid, without much reaction.

I even signed up to be a guinea pig, but I doubt I will be chosen because I don't have enough exposure to the public, and I'm pretty unlikely to catch it anyway. They're looking for people with more prospective contacts.

I even signed up to be a guinea pig, but I doubt I will be chosen because I don't have enough exposure to the public
Do they pay to be a guinea pig?

I have no intention of getting vaccinated, at least for a good while after it’s released.

Do they pay to be a guinea pig?
Not sure. I didn't even consider whether or not I would be paid.

I don't think it was for any specific trial, just to get on a list of potential volunteers if they were needed.

Last edited:
I don't think it was for any specific trial, just to get on a list of potential volunteers if they were needed.

I got an email from my family physician's office offering $800.00 for anyone desiring guinea pig status for some Covid testing. But as Al Borland would say, "I don't think so Tim!"

I wouldn’t bet my FAA medical on it.

I get the flu shot and I would get a Covid shot although I doubt I will be among the first to be offered it. I've gotten all kinds of immunizations, even ones people are leery of, like the new shingles shot, and live typhoid, without much reaction.

I even signed up to be a guinea pig, but I doubt I will be chosen because I don't have enough exposure to the public, and I'm pretty unlikely to catch it anyway. They're looking for people with more prospective contacts.
I got the single shingles shot a few years ago. At my annual checkup in Jan, my doctor strongly suggested I get the new 2-shot version. Which I did. Thought TDaP was a one-time thing?

Kind of like the new version of Foreflight. Maybe I'll wait until the .1 release.

Forever. I’m not supposed to be vaccinated with an unknown cause autoimmune disorder.

Try to force one on me and I’ll bring down two Mayo department heads and my own “kiss my ass, I think I’ll stay walking thanks” along with it, too.

If/when I’m ever switched over to certain immunosuppressive drugs, likely and long term, the thing won’t work anyway.

Y’all have fun with that.

Reactions: Ted
I haven't had a flu shot since I was in college (and I graduated over 4 decades ago). Knocked me flat in the doctor's office. COVID-19 is a variant of the flu from what I can tell, so I'll skip that one, too.

I don't have a problem with vaccinations per se, but I don't like being a guinea pig.

I suspect it will go in tiers because there is a production time.

medical + first responders
Elderly
Older with conditions
other adults
Youth

But, pretty much as soon as I can get it, I will.

We'll see. As a first responder I'll likely have early access to it, but I'm young & healthy, and so is my immediate family. If given the option I'd pass my dose on to my elderly parents. Im not super crazy about being among the first to take such a fast tracked vaccine, but if I was high risk I'd be the first In line. As it is though, covid falls way down on the list of things i worry about.

They have been working on a flu vaccine for 50 years And what they are selling now is only 50% effective. Yes, I know they are different virus types and a lot of complicated medical mumbo jumbo details, but i wouldn’t hold your breath.

What's in it? I mean, what's REALLY in it?

Nope.

Reactions: Ted
I'll get the first available. If it turns out that I need to get another because of some issue with the first, so be it. I've not been particularly susceptible to vaccine components in the past (I get flu shots and I've had all sorts of other things: smallpox boosters, yellow fever, typhus, etc... from when I traveled to third world countries back in the 70s).

Got my flu shot yesterday and volunteered for the trials.

Never had the flu that I know of and died once when my heart stopped. So no big deal and if helps get rid of all the economic disasters, I’m game for the vaccine.

Cheers

Unfortunately any trust I had in the FDA went out the window on Monday. Which is really a problem. People were going to be skeptical of the vaccine before, they've now made it infinitely harder for anyone to trust what gets approved. And we will have a vaccine approved in the next 3-4 months, there is no question about it.

That said, given that I love to travel and don't want to wear a mask for the rest of my life, I will get the vaccine when I see the data. I work in clinical trials and I know what to look for. It won't be available to the general public for 6 months (at least) after approval anyway.

And Covid-19 and the flu are caused by different viruses.

Well, I currently don't get a flu shot, because when I was required to, it made me flu-like for five days plus or minus,
I'm curious, how long ago was that? The same thing happened to me; approximately 50+ years ago.

I also don't buy first model year vehicles, so at least I am habitual. :rolleyes:
I agree with you there. I rarely buy first year model, or V1.0 of anything, unless I really feel like I need it. Like that Tesla Truck I have a deposit on. But I am still looking at other emerging electric trucks.

But when comparing a potential COVID vaccine to the flu vaccine, it has to be remembered that the flu virus mutates at a rapid rate. They have to guess about the future mutations. Covid is a much more stable virus that doesn't mutate nearly as much.

Depends on which one is approved. The ones based on RNA will cause me to wait longer as that type of vaccine has not, to my knowledge, ever been widely used in humans.

I am happy to continue wearing masks, which I can take off when I go home. I can't take off the vaccine.

Thought TDaP was a one-time thing?

TDaP you're supposed to renew every 10 years. I got my last one when Laurie was pregnant with our first child (so about 8 years ago), mostly because Ohio had a good number of pertussis cases at the time and I was about due. Plus you're advised not to get it if you have an infant in the house, but I guess (as I recall, it's been a while) pregnant woman in the house is fine. However pregnant women weren't supposed to get it, so Laurie didn't.

Anyway, we're not planning on getting the Covid vaccine anytime soon, if ever. Absolutely do not trust the first version being rushed to market the way it is, and don't believe the benefits outweigh the risks, especially given we're pretty sure we all had it and the effects were "meh" on us.

For those of you in the "I'm young and healthy and so is my family" camp, I urge you to better understand how herd immunity works with vaccines. I have people close to me who are immunocompromised and can't be vacinated. That is a legitimate reason to not get vaccinated. But those people rely on everyone around them, and every one around those people, etc., to get vaccinated. No vaccine is 100% effective either, so some who get vaccinated still won't be protected, or may be protected from getting very sick but can still pass the virus others. The vaccine (or, more than likely there will be more than one available) don't need to be 100% effective if enough people get vaccinated. If only half the population get's vaccinated, that may not be enough to protect the immunocompromised.

Is there a chance that you might have a sore arm or a mild fever for a few days after vaccination? Yes. But by the time a properly vetted vaccine is released from Phase III trials, any reaction more severe than that will be a "lottery win" 1:100,000 chance.

Let's see....bucket list more or less complete, single, live alone, and no dependents. Nah, I won't be getting it. I also don't wear a mask.

Kind of like the new version of Foreflight. Maybe I'll wait until the .1 release.

Wait so the vaccine will cost $199, but most of it won't be there and you have to pay another $100 to get Covid-Vaccine-Performance-Plus?

I'm still waiting for a West Nile vaccine, I know some people who got really messed up from that who are probably better off dead. One of them was a 24 year old woman with no significant previous medical history.

I got the single shingles shot a few years ago. At my annual checkup in Jan, my doctor strongly suggested I get the new 2-shot version. Which I did. Thought TDaP was a one-time thing?
I got a booster for TDaP a few years ago because is was suggested. I can't remember why it was suggested, although I had thought the same thing as you. It was either because it has been a long time since I had one as a child, or because I was going to Africa..

I had the single shingles shot a few years ago, then the two-shot version last year.

I’ll hold off until high risk people who need it get it but like the flu shot I’ll get one at the first convenient opportunity.

While I don’t deem the virus scary enough to hide at home inside a toilet paper fort, I still trust medical science for the most part. Vaccines are good.

If it doesn't kill you by 2021, what's the point?

^This

Once it's known as a good vaccine I'll get it. If it's not effective then I won't. I don't get the flu shot as it's usually only ~40% effective; some years higher, some years lower. I actually got the flu for the first time in January (tested positive for Type A influenza). I thought I had bad allergies or a sinus issue and went to see if I should just continue with the decongestant or get an antibiotic or something else. I was surprised the doc wanted to test me for flu and even more surprised it was positive. My sinuses were stuffed up when I woke up, but then with some decongestant and being vertical that cleared. I felt like my batteries were a little low, but that was about it. When she told me I was Type A positive I actually felt pretty good.

Those vaccines that work well I'm all in for those. Once I get a new regular doc, last one switched to obesity work, I'll get the shingles vaccine.

Is there a chance that you might have a sore arm or a mild fever for a few days after vaccination? Yes. But by the time a properly vetted vaccine is released from Phase III trials, any reaction more severe than that will be a "lottery win" 1:100,000 chance.
That's not the case. Phase III trials provide most of the safety data. Phase II trials asses short-term side-effects; phase III trials asses long-term side effects. You might wind up not getting a sore arm, but getting cancer, heart problems, liver or kidney problems, etc., instead.

And Monday was not a good day for the FDA's trustworthiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back