FBO Based Hangar Rent

Groundpounder

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Emerson Bigguns
I'm working on a project for someone, and doing some research on hangar rates for people based at an FBO. Looking to see what you pay monthly for rent, what type of airplane, and what state you're based in.

By based at an FBO, I mean that your airplane is in a hangar shared with other airplanes that is not owned by you. Common storage is another term for this.

Thanks

Here (east central IL) the club archer is hangared by our FBO for $250/mo. The hangar is heated, which is nice in the winter, although last winter we got a big snow and that hangar is the last to be cleared, so it was stuck in there for most of the day.

This compares to $150/mo for our unheated Ts at BMI. Ts at CMI are also 150 when available. They also have newer, nicer ts at 250/mo, but those have never turned over... the original renters are still in all of them.

It is nice... you pull the plane up to the FBO and walk away. They are on the scheduler, and if you're nice to the girls at the desk, and show up for your reservations, it's always out & waiting on the ramp.

I rent my hangar space from the airport (owned by Whelan, the strobe people) , not the FBO, but it's a largish shared hangar. Right now it's my Hatz and a clipwing Cub in front, and an ultralight Minimax in the back that never flies. Previously there was another Minimax and a Citabria in the back, both of which also never flew. One guy with a J-3 tried to use the back space but quickly tired of having to move two other planes to go flying. Rent is $210; T-hangars (LONG wait) are $260, I think. This is CT.

Storing a station air to SR22 sized plane at An fbo in So Cal (Camarillo) is $1000-1200/mo

outdoor tie downs about $100

I'm no longer currently there, but 2 years ago I paid $325/Mo for community hangar at CYS (Cheyenne, WY).

$345/mo for a T-hangar at KLXT (Lee's Summit, MO)
$500/mo for community hangar.

At Manassas VA (HEF) anywhere from $335 for a 42" door t-hangar to $2000 for a 60' x 60' box hangar. Based on the current wait list, it would take about 1,000,000 years to get one.

Tie-down spots are $80 and plentiful.

I'm working on a project for someone, and doing some research on hangar rates for people based at an FBO. Looking to see what you pay monthly for rent, what type of airplane, and what state you're based in.

By based at an FBO, I mean that your airplane is in a hangar shared with other airplanes that is not owned by you. Common storage is another term for this.

Thanks

@Groundpounder, Point of clarification what you're looking for...

In my area we have FBO's managing only their large hangar with aircraft stored there under management. Almost exclusively jets and turboprops.

We also have municipal fields that have contracted the local FBO to manage all or most of the hangars on the field. Some of these Tee Hangars have A/C the FBO is managing, but most are not.

Are you strictly interested in large community hangars or also Tee hangars managed by FBO's?

Last edited:
You also need to clarify whether you're expecting pull-out and put-away service, or just space in the community hangar.

At Meacham if you want the plane out on the ramp with a red carpet and a couple water bottles you're looking at $450/mo

You also need to clarify whether you're expecting pull-out and put-away service, or just space in the community hangar.

At Meacham if you want the plane out on the ramp with a red carpet and a couple water bottles you're looking at $450/mo

So if you have space in the community hangar, who does the hangar moves?

At BXM, brunswick maine... a community heated hanger with pull out, push in service is 375.00 per month for a single engine airplane.

So if you have space in the community hangar, who does the hangar moves?

Down at KFWS they have numerous community hangars, owned by the city, where everyone gets a "space" and they do all their own movements. It's been a while, but I think that priced around $200/mo.

DPA. ARR and DKB have all quoted me $500 for community heated space, with then pushing the plane in and out.

Down at KFWS they have numerous community hangars, owned by the city, where everyone gets a "space" and they do all their own movements. It's been a while, but I think that priced around $200/mo.

Wow, I would not be comfortable with someone that is not an employee moving my airplane around!

KRYY hangars run by the FBO (Hawthorne), ~$550/month. They do all the moving.

Wow, I would not be comfortable with someone that is not an employee moving my airplane around!

Nobody moves planes they don't own. But if you're the guy at the far left you get a long pull and a long push. The center lanes are kept clear at all times.

KOWB
$250 mo. Community hangar. Heated, not cooled.
Pull out/put away, wipe down windows, wings etc.
T's are 200, crappy manual doors, one light bulb 12 ft. high. No receptacles but elec. is included.
Tiedowns free.

At Potomac Airfield (VKX) outside of DC, the airport owner has taken the unconventional approach of auctioning off hangars as they become available. As such, there's never a waitlist; for the right price you're the next person to get the hangar.

And you don't think employees aren't above generating hangar rash??? ;)

I don't do community hangars except for the occasional overnight where staying outside could risk greater damage.

$300/month at FBO shared hangar for a 182. Rampers pull it out and put it away. Idaho

And you don't think employees aren't above generating hangar rash??? ;)

I don't do community hangars except for the occasional overnight where staying outside could risk greater damage.

Word. The comm hangar was $170ish if I recall correctly... the Snap-on toolbox bomb toss from the mezzanine otoh, that one was complimentary. :eek:

Never again.

$500/month for community hangar at KIWS a few years ago.

Word. The comm hangar was $170ish if I recall correctly... the Snap-on toolbox bomb toss from the mezzanine otoh, that one was complimentary. :eek:

Never again.

Not my plane, but saw a pilot get blamed by the FBO with "it must have happened at another location you flew in from" after a good sized dent was found in the upper trailing rudder edge.

I spent a bit of time looking around the community FBO hangar and saw a corresponding paint swap with a diagonal truss brace coming from the ceiling at the right height.

After pointing this out to the FBO, their employees were asked, and a younger worker admitted that it was done by him when shuffling planes around to get someone else's out, but he didn't think it was a big deal so he didn't tell anyone.

My Bo in a shared hangar at KSUT is $375. 30 miles away at ILM, a largish private hangar I had rented was $700 - it would have been big enough for two planes. In either airport, hangars come up for sale once in a while in the $80-100K range.

Back