Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

bluesideup: Of all people, I would expect pilots as a group to have a problem with providing their personal information to a company on the internet because pilots tend to have higher than average IQ's

Also bluesideup: I've known people with high IQ's who were complete morons.

I see the political ability in you, say only what makes you look good, you completely missed missed the wisdom part.

Expected, I think you are the one that A$$obo / M$ used as a patsy? Welcome to the Real world.

Yes, I know beyond help. You can go satisfy yourself, trying to help some you is not worth the effort.
Last message from me on this until I see some grown ups posting.

Horrible night yesterday.

nothing good to report. I thought about it, but just no positives.

still taking a long time to load. From when I say “run this” to when I can fly, it’s been up to 10 minutes. This might be me, so I’ll leave this out for now.

the flight model is completely messed up on both standard and g1000 172s. Yesterday I did some steep turns and the plane locked in on a strong right roll rate. Holding full left roll and I could make a standard rate turn to the right. I left go and it rolled me inverted in less than 5 seconds.

the auto pilot is wrong too. On G1000, engaged the AP and it also rolled me to the right at about 120 degrees/sec.

The g1000 implementation isn’t there. At the very least, the menu button doesn’t work and the altitude modes are wrong.

I did find the nuclear plant and verified there is nothing built for it. The cooling tower is a flat circle on the ground.

I finally found where my house is supposed to be. All the buildings were generic houses.

grade is failing now. If you’re on the fence, don’t. Software is broken.

on the plus side, I went flying today and it was wonderful.

Buildings will always be generic unless it’s a hand-built scenery pack, there’s just no other way to do it. Solid critiques on the rest and why I decided to wait.

I've been impressed with is so far. I flew around some of the mountain airports in Colorado (Glenwood, Aspen etc..) and the terrain was remarkably accurate and realistic.

I FINALLY finished the download last night. Then I had to spend the morning updating Windows because MS is stupid. At first I was disappointed....my home area is meh...and KCMI looks like crap. Xplane looks better. I agree with the critique someone made that there are no towers. FSX at least had generic towers placed anywhere there was something tall on the sectional. The really sad part was that the autogen put tall, round apartment buildings in place of all the grain elevators lol. The GNS 530 doesn't act quite right, and the flight model is just okay. It seems like the flight model and ATC are nearly direct ports from FSX.

I was about ready to quit, and decided to load up the area in Florida we've vacationed for several years. WOW. Flew from St. Pete to Sarasota and on south. Disappointingly no Sunshine Skyway bridge, but the beaches, islands, and buildings are incredible. Found the Ringling in Sarasota, which looks pretty good, and continued to fly over the condo we stay at. It's all there....the state park, I could even recognize the houses along the beach. Unreal. I could even date the data because there was a beachhouse in the sim that was destroyed by a storm a couple years ago. I was surprised that my internet kept up just fine.

It definitely needs some patches, but I think the bones are there. I was hoping it could replace Xplane completely, but I think both Asobo and I are going to have to put in a little more work to make it as valuable as a trainer. As something I can turn my kids loose on.....it's amazing. I'm a little bit CPU limited, but it looks great and runs pretty well. I think the little stuttering I have can be solved by eliminating a couple other programs that were running in the background. Personally I'd give it a buy recommendation, although I wouldn't fault anyone for waiting for the first couple patches.

Actually I take back all the nice things I said. The GNS430/530 DO NOT WORK AT ALL. Definitely still a Beta game pushed out before it was done. VFR is great and all, but even FSX had working GPS. WTF?

I've played around with the beta and had a chance today to try a friend's release copy. To me it still doesn't feel quite ready. The areas where it is complete are fantastic. The Midwest once you get away from Chicago is definitely unfinished. Overall I don't think it's any better than XP11 with Orbix scenery add-ons. Plus the lack of any additional aircraft to buy (where else but a sim can most of us have a dozen aircraft ready to go for cheap or even free?) is also a limiting factor. I don't think PilotEdge is an option either and frankly I think that's a better product than Vatsim.

Give it a year or two and I'll think it'll be competitive for XP and P3D. Until then, I'll pass.

It's early access, at best. I wish they had made everything with software bugs INOP, instead of crushing realistic expectations.

I can open Unity and make an autopilot that follows a course in under an hour, and I'm not a programmer. I find it hard to believe they can program other aspects of this game, but cannot make an autopilot work in a virtual world. It doesn't add up.

I tried Bonanza with G1000, and autopilot worked, but the indicator lights next to the buttons didn’t. I could only see selected modes on the PFD.

It was slow to load and crashed a few times. The scenery is good, the autogen does some funny things with the trees, but otherwise ok.

I tried Bonanza with G1000, and autopilot worked, but the indicator lights next to the buttons didn’t. I could only see selected modes on the PFD.

It was slow to load and crashed a few times. The scenery is good, the autogen does some funny things with the trees, but otherwise ok.

Were you on course when you activated the AP? Try turning 20 degrees off course and hit NAV mode. Or do a FLC > 500'.

Forgot...simconnect is not available. All that sim hardware people have is useless right now.

I work in software. There are enough large misses here that I would call it late stage alpha.

Forgot...simconnect is not available. All that sim hardware people have is useless right now.

I work in software. There are enough large misses here that I would call it late stage alpha.

I don’t have it yet, but a quick search says it is there.

upload_2020-8-23_0-33-14.jpeg

For those thinking about upgrading GPUs, keep in mind both AMD and Nvidia are supposed to come out with their “next generation” cards in the next couple of months. Nvidia ampere is supposed to be announced on either August 31st or September 1st and the leaks are showing a 40-50% improvement over their current top of the line.

Just was looking at the new Nvidia 3xxx info. There are rumors of a 12-pin power supply which I don’t think even exists as of now. Should be interesting to see how that develops over the next few months or so.

My saitek multipanels aren't working.
Any suggestions?
Is this related to simconnect?

Thanks^^^^^^^

I'll dig into this

There is much more to being an approved simulator than just the software. It’s the total package of the software and the hardware combined. Redbird uses P3D, an updated version of MSFS X. They get the BATD or AATD LOAs for one configuration and build identical configurations under the same LOA. I could build a sim using XPlane 11 and go through the same hoops to get the LOA.
Agreed. The lack of a force feedback yoke and rudders severely limit it in terms of approval. Yoke currently does not replicate sponginess on landing versus responsiveness at max airspeed. To purchase forcefeedback control equipment is prohibively expensive for most home sim pilots.

Force feedback has nothing to do with it and isn't present on any TD I'm aware of.

Last edited:
Agreed. The lack of a force feedback yoke and rudders severely limit it in terms of approval. Yoke currently does not replicate sponginess on landing versus responsiveness at max airspeed. To purchase forcefeedback control equipment is prohibively expensive for most home sim pilots.

Ain't no force feedback on my Redbird.

To purchase forcefeedback control equipment is prohibively expensive for most home sim pilots.

Man. I better be thankful for that ancient joystick that has it that cost $59 new. LOL.

Yes. My stick wiggles. IBTL! LOL

Back