Which IFD540 Jepp Data to Buy?

SoCal 182 Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal 182 Driver
New IFD540 driver here (installed today). I went to look at the Jepp data, and am not sure what to get. Seeking recommendations.

I'm an IFR student, so I definitely need current Nav data. I can get FAA plates on Foreflight, and I'm sort of on the fence about whether to subscribe to Jepp plates.

Also, what do people do who just sign up for the Nav data? Do they not get terrain and obstacle updates? Or maybe buy them only once per year individually?

With all of the options on Jepp's website, I guess I need some advice on which route to take.

Thanks very much in advance!

Last edited:
You have to call Jepp. Tell them you only want Navdata. It should be $300/yr. that’s all you need if you use ForeFlight for charts. Any other Jepp option costs $450+. They don’t have the $300 option online.

Jesse - I can get the $300/yr package online...I saw it earlier today. Do I need Jepp plates if I'm using FAA? What about terrain and obstacles?

Thanks!

I bought my Jepp data online through Aircraft Spruce or Sporty’s, can’t remember. They’ll sign you up. Easy peasy.

EDIT: Sorry, it was MyPilotStore.com

If you newly installed the 540, you should get the 60 day free trial of everything. After that expires, then you can buy your subscription. You will have everything current, including obsticles charts and data. I waited until the 60 days put me just into an extra data cycle, and then I got almost 90 days free. I now only subscribe to the nav data. It is all you need. I like and use the government plates and charts. You can get them free with Avare, or Fltplan Go efb's.

If you can fly with the database that is installed currently, and wait to activate your free 60 day trial after September 8, you will be able to get an extra data cycle and be good clear into December for free. Here is the link for the free trial.
https://pilotsupport.avidyne.com/kb/article/331-free-60-day-jeppesen-trial/

If you don't have it already, I strongly suggest using the free ifd 100 app. Both your free trial and then later the subscription you get will include free data for your ifd 100 app.

Last edited:
Back