Robot vacuums...............thinking of buying one...

We have the Eufy brand. A Older model 11 In the finished basement and a 30 on the first floor. Maintenance is just wiping the IR sensor glass and emptying the container. On of the wheels did freeze and the warranty fixed it. These are not mapping models. I’m not keen on the security of the mapping ones.

Kinda wonky but the old ones needed magnetic strips laid down that the robot wouldn’t cross. I THINK those still work on newer devices so I could have left them in place and done that first map that way.

They still do. I still have few of them strategically placed so it doesn’t get stuck or eat my wires.

We have an old Roomba 500 or 550 I bought used for $75 several years back. Dumb as a post but still working.

I bought a new Neato XV21. I liked the way it worked much better. Much smarter and a little quieter. Unfortunately it ate batteries with alarming frequency, and finally simply refused to work with a scanner error. I spent WAY too much time replacing the main logic board, laser scanner, batteries... and it never worked again. It ended up in the landfill. I’ll buy used Roombas or something, but I’m done with Neatos. Our experience was not... neato.

My XV11 still works (we bought it about 10 years ago I believe), but it’s on it’s 3rd set of batteries. Other than that and new brushes, no problems other than battery life. Worked well in the apartment, but not enough in the large house.

The new Neato Botvac D7 that replaced it has excellent battery life and can handle either floor without any recharging. Almost 2 years - no issues so far.

They still do. I still have few of them strategically placed so it doesn’t get stuck or eat my wires.

That’s something you learn quick with robot vacuums, you learn to keep charging cables and shoelaces and other small fragile things off the floor. And other small tidy up habits like no socks lying around.

Not a hard habit to build after you replace a few expensive charging cables the beater rips the end connector off of. LOL.

My downstairs Neato had the bad habit of being able to climb over the steel frame of the back of the recliner couch and get under it, but not climb back out. Kinda funny, we’d kept finding him trapped under there but there was enough room to get out.

There’s a thread here way back that got me to get the XV series and they were good but then had battery replacements and the LIDAR motor problem and slowly got annoying. The new ones haven’t annoyed much at all.

We also have a couple of rooms where they’re allowed to go, but nobody regularly uses those rooms, so we got in the habit of just closing the doors so the robots don’t waste time and battery in them and finish sooner.

Quick notes.

I like that Neato isn’t random. It maps the room and then does the outside edge and then back and forth which ends up looking nicer to me.

828c1c45925e329025e974eef49a24c4.jpg

Cool! That looks like CNC-machined carpet.

Back