Transponder past due by a week?

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I am based in Reno and do my annuals in Oregon. Two years ago my transponder check was signed off in late October but the annual was not signed off until early December. So this year my transponder is due by 10/31 but my annual is not due until 12/31.

I'd like to deliver it to the shop for annual during the first half of November (before the weather gets iffy). This would put my transponder a week or two past due unless I do it here in October. Obviously I'd like to have the annual and transponder inspection in sync.

Is there a good legal way to postpone the transponder check and still be able to file and fly IFR from Reno to Portland in early November?

Last edited:
Is there a good legal way to postpone the transponder check
Dont know of any way to defer or postpone the xspndr checks but making the flight under a Special Flight Permit is a legal option. Call the local FSDO to see what it would take as sometimes the ASI will want an A&P to sign off on it as well.

I haven’t checked the airspace or the route, but for sake of argument , if not required by airspace, can one turn off the transponder and still fly legally without a check?

I’m gonna go with:
The inoperative instruments and equipment must be removed from the aircraft, the cockpit control placarded, and the maintenance recorded in accordance with 14 CFR §43.9; or deactivated and placarded “Inoperative.” If deactivation of the inoperative instrument or equipment involves maintenance, it must be accomplished and recorded in accordance with 14 CFR part 43.
Finally, a pilot, who is certificated and appropriately rated under 14 CFR part 61, or a person, who is certificated and appropriately rated to perform maintenance on the aircraft, must determine that the inoperative instrument or equipment does not constitute a hazard to the aircraft. source:https://nbaa.org/aircraft-operation...13-operations-without-minimum-equipment-list/

I could do the trip VFR, but if it is possible IFR, I'd prefer it. Of course I could get it done here too but trying to get the two dates in sync with each other.

I am based in Reno and do my annuals in Oregon. Two years ago my transponder check was signed off in late October but the annual was not signed off until early December. So this year my transponder is due by 10/31 but my annual is not due until 12/31.

I'd like to deliver it to the shop for annual during the first half of November (before the weather gets iffy). This would put my transponder a week or two past due unless I do it here in October. Obviously I'd like to have the annual and transponder inspection in sync.

Is there a good legal way to postpone the transponder check and still be able to file and fly IFR from Reno to Portland in early November?

Yes. Turn it off.

He stated he wants to file/fly IFR.

So?

He didn't say his altimeter and static check were expired.
Maybe ya otta read it.

each automatic pressure altitude reporting system has been tested and inspected and found to comply with appendices E and F of part 43 of this chapter;

No person may operate an airplane, or helicopter, in controlled airspace under IFR at an altitude above the maximum altitude at which all altimeters and the automatic altitude reporting system of that airplane, or helicopter, have been tested.

Maybe ya otta read it.

"Following installation or maintenance on the automatic pressure altitude reporting system"

Maybe you "otta" read it. He didn't just install or perform maintenance on his altitude reporting system or any other system. Has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. Try again.

"Following installation or maintenance on the automatic pressure altitude reporting system"

Maybe you "otta" read it. He didn't just install or perform maintenance on his altitude reporting system or any other system. Has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. Try again.
I pasted the wrong passage. See above. And read it.

He didn't say his altimeter and static check were expired.
Ha. Considering 99.9% of the shops comply with 411 and 413 at the same time, he didn't state otherwise, and he only mentioned one date I assumed he meant both were due. ;)

I pasted the wrong passage. See above. And read it.

You should actually read my post before you reply to it and certainly before you tell me to read yours. As I said before, he did not state that his 91.411 IFR check was expired. It is not the same as a "transponder check" (91.413).

I could do the trip VFR, but if it is possible IFR, I'd prefer it. Of course I could get it done here too but trying to get the two dates in sync with each other.

That probably won't work because if you're based at RNO then you have an ADS-B out xpndr and 91.225 (f) states:

(f) Each person operating an aircraft equipped with ADS-B Out must operate this equipment in the transmit mode at all times unless -

(1) Otherwise authorized by the FAA when the aircraft is performing a sensitive government mission for national defense, homeland security, intelligence or law enforcement purposes and transmitting would compromise the operations security of the mission or pose a safety risk to the aircraft, crew, or people and property in the air or on the ground; or

(2) Otherwise directed by ATC when transmitting would jeopardize the safe execution of air traffic control functions.

Just pointing it our because you're trying to stay legal to begin with...

it is the norm to test pitot/static for leaks while running the test on the altimeter, encoder and transponder.
FYI: The leak check is part of the 91.411 certification and is usually run at the same time that 91.413 is performed so that both tests have the same 2 year sign off date. While an AP can perform just the leak check it takes a CRS to sign off the 411 and/or 413 certification. The OP wants his annual and 411/413 dates to be the same so if he has the 411 check done in Nov when he flys it will be 1 month off or he pays to have it done again in Dec.

Classic PoA. Guy asks how to do something legal and gets called out about it.:rolleyes:

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Both the transponder and altimeter checked expire in October so it looks like I can't file IFR, but might be able to go VFR - a bit confusing with the ADS-B requirement so I'll check with the FSDO to see if there is a simple option. I just want to stay legal - esp for full insurance coverage and not giving them any excuse to deny coverage if I should need it.

If you were to do a random check at every field in the US I wonder if you'd find an airport where less than 75% of transponder checks weren't overdue.

If you were to do a random check at every field in the US I wonder if you'd find an airport where less than 75% of transponder checks weren't overdue.
yeah, but 80% of them probably never fly, and 80% of those that do, don't fly IFR.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Both the transponder and altimeter checked expire in October so it looks like I can't file IFR, but might be able to go VFR - a bit confusing with the ADS-B requirement so I'll check with the FSDO to see if there is a simple option. I just want to stay legal - esp for full insurance coverage and not giving them any excuse to deny coverage if I should need it.
File the ADSB waiver to fly without with the reason being maintenance. Turn it off. Enjoy your flight.

a bit confusing with the ADS-B requirement
How is it confusing? If your transponder is out of date, you turn it off and fly VFR. The ADS-B stays on, and squawks the same code and altitude as the transponder (and encoder) that is turned off. o_O

How is it confusing? If your transponder is out of date, you turn it off and fly VFR. The ADS-B stays on, and squawks the same code and altitude as the transponder (and encoder) that is turned off. o_O
well that depends on this ADSB equipment.. something like garmin 345 and both are the same equipment.

I would check around your home base and find an avionics shop to do the IFR check prior to the annual inspection. I know there are plenty of owners who let their planes go overdue..as far as I know, theIr planes still fly and the world keeps turning...it is your call.

This happened to me once. I got a ferry permit and took the plane to Frederick MD because my airport did not have that service available. My airport was under Class B and required Mode C so I had the transponder on.

this should take care of it...

§ 91.215 ATC transponder and altitude reporting equipment and use.
(d) ATC authorized deviations. Requests for ATC authorized deviations must be made to the ATC facility having jurisdiction over the concerned airspace within the time periods specified as follows:

(2) For operation of an aircraft with an inoperative transponder to the airport of ultimate destination, including any intermediate stops, or to proceed to a place where suitable repairs can be made or both, the request may be made at any time.

Just curious. Why Oregon?

Just curious. Why Oregon?

Because I trust the shop I use 100% after a few bad experiences locally including one serious safety of flight issue (a 24" long screwdriver was left resting atop the yoke shafts behind my panel). I found it after landing when it fell against something while putting the control lock on.

I was based at Stead until recently. I seem to remember seeing an ad on several bulletin boards at Carson and Minden for a mobile service that'll come do a Mode C or Mode S transponder check for $200. Might be worth looking into if you really want to have it done and don't want to deal with the big shop at RTS or RNO.

FYI: I believe the OP wanted his 411/413 checks to line up with his annual month. Performing the checks in Oct/Nov would require a 2nd paid check in Dec.

Back