Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

By chance do you use water cooling? I’m considering this for my new build (for the learning experience) .... if so any tips/suggestions?

I have an all-in-one water cooler on my CPU but that's it. Running Noctua fans in the case and stock cooling on the 2080. I'm running an i7-8700k that I intended to do some overclocking on but I never was real happy with the overall stability so I just did some minor tweaks that would have been fine with air cooling.

I have an all-in-one water cooler on my CPU but that's it. Running Noctua fans in the case and stock cooling on the 2080. I'm running an i7-8700k that I intended to do some overclocking on but I never was real happy with the overall stability so I just did some minor tweaks that would have been fine with air cooling.
I had a Noctua cooling fan. It worked great, but net, it cost me two PCI slots. The slot, on my EVGA MB next to the CPU is for a 2 slot GPU. The Noctua fan covered that slot, and gap, and my EVGA GPU took 2 more slots.

I’m not over clocking, and don’t have any desire to, but I didn’t like having a heavy fan putting torque on my MB. I chose the 240 Arctic Freezer mostly because it includes a thermocouple that lowers the CPU temperature below ambient at idle. The Arctic cooler has 2 120 mm radiators and each radiator has a push fan and a pull fan.
I’ve read the Arctic Freezer II reviews and I’m not impressed. If, when, I upgrade my computer, I’ll get a new CPU adapter and use my current AIO liquid cooler.

Unfortunately, I don’t think the original Arctic Freezers are available.

Got this game and played it a lot the past two days( weather was not good enough for actual flying...). I have a pretty good gaming computer( bought it last year) and the game works pretty well. I bought the middle level of the game so to get the Cessna 172. That being said, after about 6 hours of play I’m not really that impressed.

Couple of major issues with the installation process( my firewall kept blocking it) but finally got that figured out. The major issue I have is this game feels exactly like the previous versions of flight sim crippled by the exact same issues. Flight Sims were hugely influential to why I became a pilot and this one will probably do the same for a lot of younger guys but with over 10 plus years to improve the game I really don’t see too many improvements beyond the obvious huge leaps in graphics.

1. The game feels like you are playing by yourself. Their is literally little to no traffic unless you play the multi player option. You never have to wait for anyone else to take off. There are no visible co-pilots or first officers, no passengers, airports are plagued by terrible AI on the ground vehicles and the default airliners have absolutely no paint scheme resembling real airlines. All these issues creates a game that kind of lacks a lot of depth.

2. The bigger planes are literally impossible to fly unless you have one of those yokes. I tried flying the A320 today and there is no possible way to transition smoothly from the decent to round out to flare. The smaller planes fly great and are much easier to land.

3. The view out of the cockpit is much improved because you can now easily see the cowling but the problem is you then can’t see the airspeed or rate of decent on most planes which makes flying the plane very difficult. Might not be an issue from a non pilot perspective but for us pilots it’s critical to actually be able to see both out the front and the airspeed if you are going to be using this for anything other than fun.

4. I’ve had major issues with the autopilot on most planes. You can’t really execute a continued climb because the planes level off at the previous altitude you set no matter what and you have to re-enter the next altitude and re-enter the VS and then hope the plane responds.(I’ve had this issue on the A320 and the TBM— have not tried the others.). I’ve also had the auto pilot tell me I’m flying away from waypoints when I’m flying towards them and various other weird things occur.

I was so looking forward to this game and I see incredible potential here but after spending 90 bucks on this I expected a much deeper game and a much more polished finished product.

Overall I’d give it a C+ with a potential to be a B+ if they work the kinks out and give us a control function that allows for the bigger jets to actually be flyable.

For point 2, you need to go in and adjust the sensitivity curves for pitch to decrease the sensitivity near zero

Is the AI ATC still telling pilots to "Climb and maintain fourteen thousand"?

Where are those? I need to do that for roll but couldn't find it anywhere.

Going off memory since my **** is still downloading :mad3:

Go into the options, go to controls, then scroll over to your stick/yoke. At the bottom there is a button for sensitivities if I remember correctly. Might be on left somewhere. Will then bring up a screen where you can adjust each axis.

*Edit* Here: https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/08/a...or-tip-turn-your-controller-sensitivity-down/

For point 2, you need to go in and adjust the sensitivity curves for pitch to decrease the sensitivity near zero

the problem is not that they are too sensitive it’s that’s they have such absurd lag that you are descending on the glide path at like 700 feet per minute and if you try and level the decent you can’t round off with any power because by the time the nose reacts you’ve lost like all the altitude and have dove into the ground or- worse yet, you pull back too much and either stall or begin a go around. I remember this was an issue in the old games too and I’m pretty sure I went to mouse control just for this reason. Might have to do that again but not even sure you can with this newest version.

You can go the opposite direction and increase sensitivity, too. Yes, mouse control is an option.

Today was a better day. I got the deadzones set and turned the graphics down to get a smoother video. Also, instead of flying in central NC, I took off from LGA, flew around the statue of liberty, up the Hudson River and landed at TEB.

The good: The controls are smoother with the sensitivity set to -45 rather than -70 and I set the dead zone to 10%. I could actually steer on the ground and it felt natural, yesterday I touched the rudder and went off the runway. The terrain was better, maybe because NYC is one of the mapped areas. I may try turning graphics back up and see.

I briefly turned the autopilot one and it worked flawlessly. Or at least far better than any autopilot in any airplane I've flow to date :)

VFR landing was impressive, you can actually do it. I could see this being used one day to show someone how to fly a stabilized approach prior to getting out in the plane. The flare and touchdown is still difficult because it's lacking depth perception, but up to the flare, it's pretty spot on.

The not so good: Graphics are still not there yet. What I noticed is that buildings are not drawing until I get close to them, there might be a way to increase that distance. That distance was something under 5 miles, from LGA, I could not see downtown Manhattan until I was much further down the east river. For VFR, that still doesn't work.

There was one annoying flight model issue that once the system gets an altitude trend change, it doesn't let go of it. I need to explore this more, but I don't recall my plane every reacting this way - a minor nose up trim change + minor RPM reduction pushed the VSI to +20k and then it dove to -20k within 5 seconds and seemed to stick at -20. Added power back to full and it would still dive to -20. Something isn't right.

Brakes didn't seem to work very well. Or at all. Landing at TEB, I put the brakes on and it took the entire length of the runway, a fast exit onto the taxi way, back up the taxiway and back to the approach end before I could stop. Throttle was at idle.

Overall - it doesn't feel finished. I'd give it a C- for now (an improvement) and I still have to try to hook up hardware this weekend.

Today was a better day. I got the deadzones set and turned the graphics down to get a smoother video. Also, instead of flying in central NC, I took off from LGA, flew around the statue of liberty, up the Hudson River and landed at TEB.

The good: The controls are smoother with the sensitivity set to -45 rather than -70 and I set the dead zone to 10%. I could actually steer on the ground and it felt natural, yesterday I touched the rudder and went off the runway. The terrain was better, maybe because NYC is one of the mapped areas. I may try turning graphics back up and see.

I briefly turned the autopilot one and it worked flawlessly. Or at least far better than any autopilot in any airplane I've flow to date :)

VFR landing was impressive, you can actually do it. I could see this being used one day to show someone how to fly a stabilized approach prior to getting out in the plane. The flare and touchdown is still difficult because it's lacking depth perception, but up to the flare, it's pretty spot on.

The not so good: Graphics are still not there yet. What I noticed is that buildings are not drawing until I get close to them, there might be a way to increase that distance. That distance was something under 5 miles, from LGA, I could not see downtown Manhattan until I was much further down the east river. For VFR, that still doesn't work.

There was one annoying flight model issue that once the system gets an altitude trend change, it doesn't let go of it. I need to explore this more, but I don't recall my plane every reacting this way - a minor nose up trim change + minor RPM reduction pushed the VSI to +20k and then it dove to -20k within 5 seconds and seemed to stick at -20. Added power back to full and it would still dive to -20. Something isn't right.

Brakes didn't seem to work very well. Or at all. Landing at TEB, I put the brakes on and it took the entire length of the runway, a fast exit onto the taxi way, back up the taxiway and back to the approach end before I could stop. Throttle was at idle.

Overall - it doesn't feel finished. I'd give it a C- for now (an improvement) and I still have to try to hook up hardware this weekend.

How's your internet? Possible it couldn't load the scenery in fast enough? There's away to download scenery for an area onto your hard drive. A feature I expect to make use of... if I ever get the game downloaded. Computer shut off on me last night, so I'm still not half way yet.

Buddy of mine is the guy that wrote Duke Nukem. All time classic.

8-bit Guy is doing a tour of dead Texas tech companies and the Duke Nukem place and one engineer are in the first of his series.

Your buddy probably knew him. Or is that dude. Ha. :)

How's your internet? Possible it couldn't load the scenery in fast enough? There's away to download scenery for an area onto your hard drive. A feature I expect to make use of... if I ever get the game downloaded. Computer shut off on me last night, so I'm still not half way yet.

internet is 100Mb/s, but I might be able to get that up to about 600, that seems to be where the fiber tops out. I will look at downloading scenery.

I downloaded it first thing yesterday morning to try it out. It's on Microsoft Game Pass and the first month is $1. Took me about 4 hours to get it downloaded and installed. I loaded up a DA40 at my home airport and took off. As others have said, the controls were initially very very sensitive. I adjusted it to 70% and it's better. I have a fairly stout gaming machine and I'm seeing a lot of pauses. Framerates are generally pretty good, but every few minutes it'll pause for a second or two while it loads scenery. Very annoying, but not as annoying as waiting for all of the loading menus. Takes a few minutes to load the main menu and then another minute or so to load the flight. Not too bad the first time, but when you're trying to set up your third flight it gets frustrating.

The biggest disappointment for me is the view system and the cockpits. I've been flying XPlane 11 for the past few years and the one thing they nailed dead on was the feel of a GA cockpit. Everything is clear and just feels right. In FS2020 the cockpit feels more like a cartoon. I also have difficulty reading buttons unless I zoom in. Zoom is another issue for me with FS. In XPlane I was able to map the zoom to a dial axis on my throttle. That way I can look around with the hat switch with my right thumb and zoom in for a closer look with my left. Very intuitive and simple. FS zooms with the scroll wheel and you can't map an axis. Couple that with very notchy view movement from the hat switch and it's just an uncomfortable cockpit. I'll also add that I've been flying XPlane using PilotEdge ATC which is just incredible.

I absolutely love FS2020 scenery though. It's amazing to be able to fly over an area and recognize the parking lots. Very immersive! Now just fix the other 80% :)

I got a steam refund for it last night. 15 hours in and I still didn't have a complete download after trying all of the known tricks. As an alpha and beta tester, I was extremely surprised when they announced the release date. Sure enough, almost none of the complaints from the beta test were addressed before release. It's going to take some significant patching to get to where it should be. Maybe by then PilotEdge will work and I'll make the transition over.

I absolutely love FS2020 scenery though. It's amazing to be able to fly over an area and recognize the parking lots.
If you read some of the messages below you will find out that you can get better scenery at higher resolution in XPlane and even FSX. So far it seems to be huge disappointment.

Before any pilots spend any money or time on this sim you may want to read some of posts here:
https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/forum/12-general-flight-sim/
https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/224966-around-klgb-lax-area-pics/

FSX: $60 and fun for a few months.

XP11: $900 and fun for a couple years. Spent a lot on yoke, pedals and addons. Spent a lot of time modding the software and hardware. Got bored of it, sold the modded yoke/pedals. Bonus - It helped me learn Foreflight.

FS2020: $1 for one month. Perfect scenario, I won't spend much time or money on it.

They're all nice sims. If I had a home cockpit I'd play any of them. The cheap controls ruin it for me. I've tried VR (Vive Pro) and TrackIR and it's not enough. I need to feel like I'm in the aircraft, or the boredom kicks in.

Here is a link to my GoFundMe so I can have a $50,000 home cockpit. ww.gofundme.com/lol/justkidding

If you read some of the messages below you will find out that you can get better scenery at higher resolution in XPlane and even FSX. So far it seems to be huge disappointment.

Before any pilots spend any money or time on this sim you may want to read some of posts here:
https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/forum/12-general-flight-sim/
https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/224966-around-klgb-lax-area-pics/

Ok, sure, but the amount of time and energy it takes to do so versus it coming in already loaded isn't even comparable.

There will always be improvements to make for those that want them. For 90% of the people flying it, the included scenery is better than anything they've ever seen before in a flight simulator. Color me shocked that the xplane forum isn't a fan of it.

Thanks for checking. My computer is marginal. although it runs X-Plane 11 acceptably. But, like X-Plane, I'd like enough of a demo to be sure.
Well, I took a shot. No big download issues, but got a warning about not meeting minimum requirements. The setup defaulted to the lowest settings but I could still tell things weren't quite right, a lot of screen flashing for example. Clearly needs that graphics card (and I guess power supply) upgrade.

While there is no free demo, my refund request was taken care of within 24 hours.

I played the beta on an old I7 processor and an Nvidia 970 and had to run it on low settings. It was less than optimal for sure.

I now have an I9 with a 2080 and I run it at high and it's smooth. I tried ultra but it had a little but very noticeable stuttering so went back to high (I'm sure I can optimize some things).

To echo what Sierra Hotel has said, the out of the box scenery is great. I had both XP11 and P3D looking sharp but it takes some work to do that.

For those wanting a demo, you can sign up for Xbox game pass (on your computer) and get MSFS for $1 for a month. That’s a demo in my book. For those thinking about upgrading GPUs, keep in mind both AMD and Nvidia are supposed to come out with their “next generation” cards in the next couple of months. Nvidia ampere is supposed to be announced on either August 31st or September 1st and the leaks are showing a 40-50% improvement over their current top of the line.

I am thoroughly enjoying it! Default AC have always been for the masses... they are never great. But I am getting a ton of enjoyment out of it. Remember, it is a long project, it will take time to optimize, and I am sure they will fix the stuff that is broken... and there is alot of broken.

It's not a one to one replica of everything but it's solid enough that if you know the area you can get around.
Even if you don't know the area! Just using a Maps app and my eyes I have flown from Vancouver BC to Northern Cali in a 172 in the sim... having done it in real life and using a map everything was there, and looks great in my opinion.

....get MSFS for $1 for a month. That’s a demo in my book.

That is anything but a "Demo" in mine.
Just the fact that you gave them your personal information is likely to cost you in the long run and they will use it to profit from it. That is the way most of these Inet companies operate and make profit, at your expense.
Just the fact that you have to register for some stupid Game account should stop most of Real World self respecting pilots from signing up.
Add to that the fact that there are so many problems, older controller are not supported, the necessity for a very expensive powerful PC, and the distribution limitations and I think this is insulting to the customers.
Way too much hassle and not worth the effort, sims exist presently that give a much better experience, with some free self generating scenery you can actually have better scenery than what MSFSXX has now, and no hassle.
Read some of the Avsim.com, Flightsim.com, X-Plane.org messages and find facts beyond the advertising fluff. My home area airports in the FSXX are much worse than FSX and XPlane are.
If we could get Laminar / Austin Meyer? to pay attention, someone needs to kick him in the bells, and respond by fixing some of the present problems with the flight dynamics, and presently having access to free scenery you can generate yourself, or you can find it already done for free if you are not willing to do it yourself, there would be no need to look any further.
Many of us were hoping that this will be what it was originally advertised, "for pilots" it turns out that it's not ever a very good arcade game, too bad, it's an embarrassment, much worse that any other sim deployment that I've seen in the past.

Except MSFS has never in its history been billed as "for pilots," it's literally always been targeted at the masses that are interested in aviation. You got your hopes up for the wrong product.

Just the fact that you gave them your personal information is likely to cost you in the long run and they will use it to profit from it.
Likely to cost you how exactly? The list of companies that have my personal information is longer than I am tall. The direct cost to me because of this has been about and around $0.
Just the fact that you have to register for some stupid Game account should stop most of Real World self respecting pilots from signing up.
I'm fascinated to know what quality Real World self respecting pilots are expected to possess and other people apparently lack that would make them not want to do something if it requires the creation of some stupid Game account.

Read some of the Avsim.com, Flightsim.com, X-Plane.org messages and find facts beyond the advertising fluff.

You don’t find facts on Internet forums. You find opinions... and a lot of them at that. Negative ones are usually the loudest as well.

I just bought the product. My first flight on a 172 felt a bit weird. It felt like the airplane's nose was pointing to the right during takeoff more than it should be. My tendency was to apply left rudder to straighten it out, whereas I should be applying right rudder. Anyone else experience this? It could be something to do with my monitor. I am not sure.

I prefer the older version (FSX)
The graphics on this version are amazing but other than that, it is a terrible sequel.

Except MSFS has never in its history been billed as "for pilots," it's literally always been targeted at the masses that are interested in aviation. You got your hopes up for the wrong product.
Yes, I agree, it practcally is always the case, but this time it was supposed to have been different. I will try to the Video with the A$$obo team and some dude categorically stated this was intended for Pilots.

Likely to cost you how exactly? The list of companies that have my personal information is longer than I am tall. The direct cost to me because of this has been about and around $0.

It's not complicated, they will sell all the personal information they have to others they collect data, create accounts the end up on the internet because they are too stupid to protect it. I've had Hospitals, Credit / Equifax companies, Banks, Supermarkets that got hacked. I never gave them permission to post it on the Inet, and or gave my personal information to them directly.
They all / most got it from Google, Facebook, Telegram, WhatsApp, LINE, Snapchat, Pinterest, Viber, Reddit, Discord, VK, Telegram, WhatsApp, LINE, Snapchat, Pinterest, Viber, Reddit, Discord, VK, MS,....The one the I did give it to, the hospital, I directly left order Not to place it on the Inet but they did it anyway. I ended up having at least 3 of these idiots getting hacked.

I'm fascinated to know what quality Real World self respecting pilots are expected to possess and other people apparently lack that would make them not want to do something if it requires the creation of some stupid Game account.
Have a higher I.Q.? Reading some this I wonder? Am I wrong?
That mentality fits well in China and other Communist countries but it should not be acceptable in this country. You are giving up information that others make millions from at your expense.

You don’t find facts on Internet forums. You find opinions... and a lot of them at that. Negative ones are usually the loudest as well.
I general I agree with that but I personally know some of these people and are very knowledgeable and I think we have one around here that was actually part of Beta that is now having trouble. You have a Console Game company, using thousands of hours and other's people's labor and effort was given to them, for free, and have no respect for their feedback. They are doing a job that they are not qualified to do and their only concern is to make money at any cost, bad combination.
Not worth the effort. I've been flying and simming for a very long time but this is one time I will not get it unless they change their distribution method and I can maintain my privacy.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree, it practcally is always the case, but this time it was supposed to have been different. I will try to the Video with the A$$obo team and some dude categorically stated this was intended for Pilots.

It's not complicated, they will sell all the personal information they have to others they collect data, create accounts the end up on the internet because they are too stupid to protect it. I've had Hospitals, Credit / Equifax companies, Banks, Supermarkets that got hacked. I never gave them permission to post it on the Inet, and or gave my personal information to them directly.
They all / most got it from Google, Facebook, Telegram, WhatsApp, LINE, Snapchat, Pinterest, Viber, Reddit, Discord, VK, Telegram, WhatsApp, LINE, Snapchat, Pinterest, Viber, Reddit, Discord, VK, MS,....The one the I did give it to, the hospital, I directly left order Not to place it on the Inet but they did it anyway. I ended up having at least 3 of these idiots getting hacked.

That mentality fits well in China and other Communist countries but it should not be acceptable in this country. You are giving up information that others make millions from at your expense.

I general I agree with that but I personally know some of these people and are very knowledgeable and I think we have one around here that was actually part of Beta that is now having trouble. You have a Console Game company, using thousands of hours and other's people's labor and effort was given to them, for free, and have no respect for their feedback. They are doing a job that they are not qualified to do and their only concern is to make money at any cost, bad combination.
Not worth the effort. I've been flying and simming for a very long time but this is one time I will not get it unless they change their distribution method and I can maintain my privacy.

You are on the Internet. Your data has and is being compiled and used. Don’t kid yourself. Anything you do online is being tracked, recorded and sold. Two options. Accept and continue posting. Or don’t accept, burn your cell phone and and cut the connection cable. Then use snail mail only for comms.

I ended up having at least 3 of these idiots getting hacked.
And what was the direct cost to you because of that? Was money stolen out of your account? Were purchases made on your credit card that you ended up being responsible to pay? Like I said, tons of companies have my info. Its never cost me a single dime. Same for pretty much everyone in my family and my rather small circle of friends. If that's not the case for you, well sorry about your luck.

You are wrong. Having a pilot certificate means at some point in your life you were able to pull it together enough to pass a checkride. And that is all it means. I have known pilots that were wicked smart and I've known others that were commercial grade stupid.

You are on the Internet. Your data has and is being compiled and used. Don’t kid yourself. Anything you do online is being tracked, recorded and sold.

You are correct, but and this is a big But, it is being done without my permission and consent. What I am warning about is us / people giving up personal information willingly for some stupid reasons.
I've been in the computer industry most of my life, and understand computers to the bit level and it scares the heck out of me when I see some of stupidity people / companies / banks... do.

I think most people that have computers should Not be allowed to do anything else other than maybe use it in home only. The worse thing is the the new generation are completely computer illiterates, they just push buttons and think the World is their friend, post all their personal information all over and then expect Privacy. Really!!

Just the fact that you can push buttons does not make one computer knowledgeable. I would suggest that before anyone is allowed to go on the Inet should take a mandatory course on how computers work, how data is being disseminated and the danger of using one in that environment.
You can add to that the Government agencies who are the biggest offenders when it comes to giving out our personal information. I have yet to see a government employee that really knows computers. The present day IT people just know how to connect you to some danger but have no clues about details and dangers that they expose you to and how to protect you from them.

Add to that the stupid politicians that make laws and force people to put their real, personal, accurate information and you got a recipe for disaster.
The law should be that No personal accurate information should ever be allowed to be displayed on the Inet.
If some entities / companies / businesses place that information without your permission a huge fine, pay for all the expenses necessary to recover,... should be imposed on them.

It's really not that complicated, we can recover, fix it, at least after next 2 generations. Do not post any personal, real information on the Inet. Encrypt information that needs to be exchanged on the Inet for scientific useful communication, that only the posters / users that display that information have the key to it and can be traced to them. If they are found that displayed that data improperly send them to China, that is where they belong, should be.

You are wrong. Having a pilot certificate means at some point in your life you were able to pull it together enough to pass a checkride.

I disagree, at least to some extent. You cannot really go by the way they behave on the Inet when they tend to want to look more stupid than they actually are because they think it makes them look cool. In order to get even to the PP level some amount of knowledge, effort, attitude, and work, is required that many people are not capable of.
That is not much I.Q. as it is wisdom. I've known people with IQs in 200 and when it came to real life behavior they performed at the moron level, totally lacked common sense.

I disagree, at least to some extent. You cannot really go by the way they behave on the Inet when they tend to want to look more stupid than they actually are because they think it makes them look cool. In order to get even to the PP level some amount of knowledge, effort, attitude, and work, is required that many people are not capable of.
That is not much I.Q. as it is wisdom. I've known people with IQs in 200 and when it came to real life behavior they performed at the moron level, totally lacked common sense.

bluesideup: Of all people, I would expect pilots as a group to have a problem with providing their personal information to a company on the internet because pilots tend to have higher than average IQ's

Also bluesideup: I've known people with high IQ's who were complete morons.

Back