What do you reckon a 400W installation might run me...?

DKirkpatrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DKirkpatrick
Hello. What do you think a 400W would cost to install in a 14vDC C-182. There's a spot in the panel where the old Northstar GPS is coming out. Would need to couple with a Century IIb that seems to be working... no altitude hold. Airplane has a good nav/comm, spare comm, it's got a Mode-C with ADS-B installation on the tail. Should only need to install the 400W and a GA waas antenna.
I'm asking... because I'm always getting surprises at how much this stuff costs to install.
Would appreciate a ruf estimate.
much obliged,
dan

Will you be pairing it with an indicator (CDI)? Which one?

I would expect the installation to cost $1,500-3,000, depending on how accessible the harness is for the auto pilot. You would also need an indicator, which can make some difference.

Will you be pairing it with an indicator (CDI)? Which one?

Yep, a compatible CDI is typically required for IFR. Seems like the CDI is always a surprise.

Kind of a boring install. 8 pins for power and ground.

Depending on indicator, as few as 7-9 pins, double that much of autopilot is involved.

No traffic? Cool. No Stormscope?great.

Transponder not a part of the picture? Great. Encoder 2-3 pins.

Is there an autopilot? Will this connect to any sort of ADSB or transponder or stormscope or traffic or autopilot or HSI and if no, what indicator? Resolvers or not add pins.

Shops will price it as a SWAG but...no comm means fat fewer connections to audio panel etc, no nav reduces some as well, soooo...

Someone stated 1500-3000; people would say 15-20 hours minimum depending on how fast some shops like to knock out the harness. A 182 has generous space behind the panel (compared to mooneys and other not so nice airplanes)...

I’m not a certified repair shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks — Now I have a ballpark anyway...
I have a Collins ind-351 and connector to use with it. I would LIKE to couple it to the existing Century IIb autopilot but that's not imperative... it tracks a heading and that'd probably suffice for my flying.
I am an IFR pilot, and being able to shoot an RNAV approach is really what I'm looking for if I get into light weather... or emergency, etc.
THANKS for the help. Maybe this info will give me a tighter ballpark number?
dan

thanks for the help and responses
dan

unless you already have one laying around, why? spend a few bucks more and get a 175. same install cost, new design, serviceable for years. i would never spend the money for a 400/500 series new install unless I got it almost free because you WILL be spending the money again to install something new a few years when it is no longer repairable.

unless you already have one laying around, why? spend a few bucks more and get a 175. same install cost, new design, serviceable for years. i would never spend the money for a 400/500 series new install unless I got it almost free because you WILL be spending the money again to install something new a few years when it is no longer repairable.

This. And so much easier to use, airways, flt plan edits etc. are a snap. Really is a next generation difference

thanks Chip. Older airplane... but the 175 makes sense. And soo much of the total cost involved is the installation.
yours is good advice and I thank you.
dan

I just went through this dance, went with the gps-175. The plane should be done next week, dual G5’s too.

+1 :yesnod:

Back